What's new

Anyone share technique for trouble spot under ear/jawline?

Im a fairly lean guy with a strong jaw line. I dont have a lot of body fat on my face so keeping a good blade angle and trying to really hit the underneath of my jawline, especially the part under the ear is a major chore. I do a 3 pass DE shave and j-hook the spots several times and i still end up with some minor rough spots when the rest of my face is completely smooth.

Does anyone have a special technique for this area? Any advice would be appreciated because its the only spot thats holding me back from absolutely perfect shaves each day.

Last edited:
Im a fairly lean guy with a strong jaw line. I dont have a lot of body fat on my face so keeping a good blade angle and trying to really hit the underneath of my jawline, especially the part under the ear is a major chore. I do a 3 pass DE shave and j-hook the spots several times and i still end up with some minor rough spots when the rest of my face is completely smooth.

Does anyone have a special technique for this area? Any advice would be appreciated because its the only spot thats holding me back from absolutely perfect shaves each day.

If you can, try stretching the skin by pulling it up towards your cheek. This should give you a relatively flat spot to shave.

Ah yes, under the ear. Don't worry, it eventually all falls into place with practice. I still remember a nice slice in my earlobe early on. I didn't make that mistake again.

If you can, try stretching the skin by pulling it up towards your cheek. This should give you a relatively flat spot to shave.

Try a very light blade buff. Check out Mantic's video on advanced shave techniques and see if the Gillette slide or the J-hook might work for you. :001_rolle

I dont have a lot of body fat on my face.

You're definitely doing something right there. :lol:

As a fellow newb, I think that everything south of the jawline is the last bit of learning curve to climb. Before going for advanced razor fu, maybe give it a few more shaves to work itself out. I know it's been doing so for me.

That said, I've been taking shorter and shorter strokes in that under-ear area, so maybe blade buffing is the way to go.

Top Bottom