What's new

Bleeding Heart-Nope, Bleeding face-Yep!! Please Help!

Hello everyone,

I'm a newbie I guess. I've always shaved with cartridge razors and regular gilette shaving foam or cream and was never real keen on shaving as a result. I've recently been bit by the wet shaving bug and have recently purchased a badger hair brush, straight razor, several different shaving soaps, etc. I've kind of jumped in with both feet.

I haven't received my items yet by the fact that I live in Congo in Africa and UPS doesn't exactly ship here. I'm waiting on some friends to bring my supplies over with them when they come in March.

In the meantime, I've been following everyone's advice on prep and other things that I can until my stuff arrives. However, I still have horrible results. I end up with what appears to be bleeding pores. They don't really seem like nicks. It just looks like my pores start bleeding and then my face burns for like an hour after I shave. I'll post my routine below so some of you can offer advice on prep that can help me. Is it just using a bad razor what is it?

Supplies:

Mach3
Tabac shaving stick
synthetic shaving brush
Nivea aftershave balm

Here's my routine:

1) Hot shower
2) Follow Kyle's Prep routine of a massaging pre-lather with a hot towel for three minutes.
3) Lather again and make first pass N to S.
4) Lather again and make NW to SE pass in a sort of V shape.
5) Lather again and make E to W pass.
6) Lather again and make a S to N pass.
7) Splash of cold water.
8) Followed with Nivea After-Shave Balm.

This routine leaves me with a smooth face but like I said the burning sensation afterwards is no fun at all. I get a good result but it is not a comfortable shave at all.

What am I doing wrong?

It sounds like you have a good routine down.

How does your face feel if you drop the ATG (S to N) pass? It may not be perfectly smooth, but it could help with the bleeding and burning.

Another possibility is that you aren't getting enough protection from your lather. How does the lather feel when you get it on your face? Assuming you are face lathering, you might want to spend some more time working the lather on your face.

Congrats on the loot you will be getting in a couple of months. You are a braver man than I going straight to the straight.

It is hard to use no pressure on the Mach 3 because the pivot on the blade lends itself to wanting to push it - I would recommend a cartridge that does not pivot as much such as the sensor or trac II using the passes and no pressure until you get wet shaving supplies.

It sounds like you have a good routine down.

How does your face feel if you drop the ATG (S to N) pass? It may not be perfectly smooth, but it could help with the bleeding and burning.

Another possibility is that you aren't getting enough protection from your lather. How does the lather feel when you get it on your face? Assuming you are face lathering, you might want to spend some more time working the lather on your face.

Congrats on the loot you will be getting in a couple of months. You are a braver man than I going straight to the straight.
yeah, I am face lathering. The lather feels great compared to the old stuff in the can I used. It's not really thick but I'll try working it a little longer on my face and see if it helps. Thanks for the tips.

I'll also try less passes. I guess I'm just trying to get it BBS too quick!

Will my skin ever toughen up enough to do an ATG pass?

The blade may be the key to everything, some of you think that all blades must be given some time so that your face gets used to it.

I beg to differ.

I have been testing in a very short period a blade sampling pack and found that some blades even when appraised by others may not suit your face at all.

The difference could be your mach3 and the pivoting mechanism at the moment. It is hard to not press it too tough since it gives away (been there, done that) And of course the newbie excitement that I get a lot nowadays too.

Especially when you get your straight razor (a brave guy indeed) you must be patient and SLOW when making passes. You could also try dropping the AGT passes that previous members seem to also think.

And lastly try this:
1. Lather your face and wait 3 mins. Optionally use a softener of some sort
2. Rinse all lather off.
3. Put a hot towel on your face for 3 mins or more.
4. When you move the towel in your face and the beard seems soft, you are ready to go.
5. Re-lather and shave.

The lather softens the beard first and allows the water to moisturize your beard better.

You are making too many passes and probably pressing too hard.

I would tend to agree. Multiblade razors are not meant to be used for that many passes.

I've only ever tried one synthetic brush. It wasn't very good at face lathering. Too soft and flexible. You will probably be able to build a thicker, more cushioning lather when you get your new brush.

You'll be able to do ATG as your technique improves.
Your skin only toughens up because you get older, not from shaving. :biggrin1:

- Peter

This is mostly dependent on your technique. Your skin will take a little bit to get used to the straight, but you will see the largest improvement as your technique improves. Check out this post for a bit more context.

Keep on reading, continue to work on your technique and enjoy your shaves!

welcome aboard.

just read up on technique and youre shaves will get better.

remember also, not to try for BBS just yet.

The blade may be the key to everything, some of you think that all blades must be given some time so that your face gets used to it.

I beg to differ.

I have been testing in a very short period a blade sampling pack and found that some blades even when appraised by others may not suit your face at all.

It has nothing to do with your face getting used to a blade, but getting a good idea, feel, of the blade.
That being said, if a blade is horrible for you, don't use.
BUT, use it at least 1 more time if you have been shaving DE for several months.
For example, Feathers might cut up noobies bad, but with gained experience they might be the perfect blade for you.
Also, blades like Derby might be mild and easy to start with, chances are greater you will end up using Astra SP or red Personna's every day.

Last edited:
Top Bottom