What's new

Ambidextrous?

Hello Everyone!
I've been a lurker on this forum for a few days now waiting for my new razor to show up. I have to say this is one of the most mature forums I've ever seen on the internet :)

Anyway on to the questions:
I tried my first shave today with a DS razor -- a Merkur Classic and Merkur blades, nothing fancy. All in all it went pretty well, I took my time and followed all the advice I've been reading about on these forums.

My troubles started with the right side of my neck, I had a hard time matching the same angle with the razor as I did on my the left side and wound up drawing a little blood. I think it's because I use my right hand for both sides? Do many of you switch hands during the course of your shave or can you bend your elbow in a way that I can't? I decided not to press my luck too far and finished my neck off with my old M3, but that's a temporary solution. Can anyone offer some advice?

Thanks in advance!
Jim

Hi, Jim,
First of all, a warm welcome to the forum, and thanks so much for your kind and gracious comments.
As to ambidexterity, I can shave only with my right hand. My left is totally useless except as a balancing counterweight when I'm walking. I did get a bit of razor burn when I started back to DE shaving, but that improved with time and practice. I also came to realize, like you, that I was applying a different angle on the two sides of my face, and in time I refined my technique. these days I get a great, smooth BBS shave --see Guenron's posting here Try this and in no time at all you'll experience shaving nirvana.:shaving:

Now--one additional comment on being ambidexterous. As I said, I'm totally useless with my left hand. But, my wife is completely ambidexterous. Not only can she write with both hands, she does surgery with both hands. Most docs, when faced with a different angle, walk around to the other side of the table. She simply switches the scalpel to her other hand and continues with the surgery. She really wows them in the OR.:biggrin: :a16:

Welcome Jim,

Sounds like you did OK on the maiden voyage!

I use my right hand almost exclusively. I think that in time as you get more comfortable with the razor you will do OK.hang in there.

Take a look at this post for technique.

Keep posting

Hi, Jim!

Welcome to B&B! Sounds like you had a decent first shave. Don't worry... they'll get better!

The left hand side of your face allows you to use a more natural muscle movement pattern. If you turn your face to the left, it will put the right side of your neck in a similar plane, and it should feel a little more natural. Maybe you do this... maybe not? The other thing that you'll find helpful is to move your elbow upwards and away from your body as you shave on the right side of your face. That should help! :wink:

Here's to smooth shavin'!

chop-chop

Welcome Aboard Jim!

I've tried to shave with my left hand... once. I learned my lesson!:mad:

Now I just use it to stretch the skin when needed.

Shaving is the only pursuit in which I am ambidextrous. The one exception is that, for some bizarre reason, I use my right hand to shave my the left side of my neck in the N-S direction (otherwise, the left hand suffices for all other matters relating to the the left face, including the S-N neck pass). I say go with whatever feels natural to you.

I tried using my right hand once, and yeah, am still recovering from the nicks and ingrown hairs. Now, I just use the left exclusively. I find that although my reach suffers on opposite side of my neck I just end up blade buffing the entire neck.

Thanks all for your suggestions, I guess I'm not yet as coordinated as I thought I was :)

--see Guenron's posting here
Try this and in no time at all you'll experience shaving nirvana.:shaving:

That's a great thread, as soon as I'm sure I can handle 4 passes I'll be giving it a try. Until then I think I'm going to predominantly use the M3 on my neck until I can phase it out completely. No sense rushing it, right?

Hello Jim. I use both hands, but I think it depends on how adept you are with the non-dominent hand. I'm lucky in that regards and I get few nicks.

I was wondering about switching hands my self. I've tried it, and it went ok. But, through trial and error, I found that I needed to work on the left to right angle and it helped a lot.

I'll have to try the arm at a angle like someone above suggested, it makes sense.

I typically recommend that people don't change handles during a session. Each has a different touch to it. Of course I could do this standing on my head and it would not make that much difference. I am just reapeating the same old thing when I say, the most important thing I can advise you to do is to Don't bare down, as little pressure as possible.

WElcome aboard Jim. I also would like to thank you for the compliments. We do try to police ourselves when it comes to decorum while at the same time we can and do have a good time with each other be it with friendship or some good natured teasing.

I must second the comments you have recieved, with time and patience you will find what works best for you. Keep reading there is a lot of good information here. Also try the youtube posts by mantic59. He has done some excelent work on these and the hits just keep on comming.

Happy shaving.

Welcome to the group!
I am strongly right handed. However, when I started straight shaving I taught myself to use my left hand. Interestingly enough, I find that I am a better shaver with my left hand. I did take the advise of someone on one of the groups and started brushing my teeth with my left hand and this seemed to increase my confidence if nothing else. All kidding aside, I think it did increase my dexterity.
Good shaving and welcome again,
Steve

Top Bottom