What's new

Bending/repairing teeth of a NEW open comb

I'm now willing to try and risk a breakage. For those that have succeeded.

How long in the oven and what temp?
How do I limit damage caused by metal tools.
What's the best way of holding the head whilst it's still warm?

Anything else you think I should know.

Many thanks in advance.

I've never done it successfully, but someone here recently reported that they did. Give me a moment and I'll try to track down the thread and post it here.

edit: oh, nevermind. I see you already found that thread and posted to it. Gunky was the member who said he did it.

Last edited:
What I did was preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Put razor in for 10minutes. Use a thick rag and an oven mit for safety while holding the razor as it is VERY hot. I put a thin rag in between needle nose pliers so it cushioned the gripping part a bit as it can scratch/bent the brass. I then bent the tooth little by little. I would take it out after 10minutes, bend with pliers, put it back in oven for 5minutes, take it out bend a little, keep doing that every 5minutes until tooth looks good. Light pressure.

Also I believe cooncatbob had some success with teeth repair

Last edited:
What I did was preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Put razor in for 10minutes. Use a thick rag and an oven mit for safety while holding the razor as it is VERY hot. I put a thin rag in between needle nose pliers so it cushioned the gripping part a bit as it can scratch/bent the brass. I then bent the tooth little by little. I would take it out after 10minutes, bend with pliers, put it back in oven for 5minutes, take it out bend a little, keep doing that every 5minutes until tooth looks good. Light pressure.

Also I believe cooncatbob had some success with teeth repair

I agree, except I use a small screwdriver instead of pliers.
On end teeth I haven't had good luck bending them straight, so I use needle files to square up the gap.
Needle files are the only method that works to clean the harden orange crust out from between the teeth, I use oven cleaner and a dremel with a small wire wheel first then I still have to use the files, then I buff with tripoli and clean before sending off for nickel plating.

Too late cooncat, I now have one inbred gap toothed razor.:thumbup:

End teeth straightened up okay using the above method but I couldn't resist having a go at one of the really narrow middle teeth, should have left it alone.

Too late cooncat, I now have one inbred gap toothed razor.:thumbup:

End teeth straightened up okay using the above method but I couldn't resist having a go at one of the really narrow middle teeth, should have left it alone.

I won't buy head with bent teeth, if the picture doesn't show the teeth, I just last week got 1 in the mail with a bent inner tooth, I used the small screwdriver and wedged it over, waited a bit and wedged it straight.
But your just as likely to break a tooth as straighten it no matter how careful you are or whether you heat it or not.

I have had fair luck using just a plain old pocket knife (Kershaw Leek) and using it as a progressive type wedge, slowly wedging it in between the bent tooth and a straight tooth. Have non had to do this on a corner tooth as of yet. As with everything in life, its a 50/50 change, either it will work for you or it will not work for you.

The only way heat will do anything at all is to get it to annealing temp which is red hot.You need a jewelers torch to do this sort of work.The tooth may still snap off though.If it does it can be soldered back on,but now it will have to be re-plated.There is lots of labor involved now so it would be quite expensive.If a razor is special for some reason or another I can fix any problem.:thumbup1:

Top Bottom