What's new

Where to apply cologne and how to make it last longer

I was wondering what the ideal places to apply cologne are. Also if there are any techniques that help it last longer. I heard applying vaseline to the application areas can help. Any tips? I just bought L'occitan. Sometimes it lasts and sometimes it doesn't.

I was wondering what the ideal places to apply cologne are. Also if there are any techniques that help it last longer. I heard applying vaseline to the application areas can help. Any tips? I just bought L'occitan. Sometimes it lasts and sometimes it doesn't.

Vaseline??? I would not do that. If you want it to last longer, spray some on your clothes as well. This is a highly contested practice among avid cologne wearers, but I think it is reasonable (just don't drench your clothes in it.)

i do a spray on my chest for strong colognes, and another spray on my chest and on my upper abb area if its a bit weaker

that way it wafts up through my shirt as the day goes on

If your skin is dry, or even if it isn't and you want to make your cologne last longer you can use an unscented moisturizer on your skin, let it dry, then spray your cologne. I wouldn't use vaseline because it has its own peculiar scent and you don't want to smell like that.

I usually just spray my chest and my stomach. Some people like to put their shirt on before the cologne drys to "trap" the scent in their shirt or undershirt. Be careful not to apply too much.

I'm sure basenotes has a ton of threads on this as well.

I do one spray to my chest and one spray onto the front of my neck; that way, some cologne gets on my undershirt, but not much, and my neck smells good, for when it matters most.

Last edited:
part of a good cologne, to me, is that it has staying power

i hate when i put it on, and 2 hours later, it's not noticeable. that's why i'm sure to get samples before i purchase.

if wearing a short-sleeved shirt, maybe a spritz on the crease of the elbow, a spritz on the pulse point of the wrist and rub together. also, on the side of the neck, and slight up towards the area behind the area (warmth helps with the throw of a scent)

i've had several that i loved the scent, but they didn't stick. not worth my cash, if that's the case

On average I use 2 sprays with the colognes in my wardrobe, so I just do one spray on each pec and that seems to last quite a long time and project rather well, even if a shirt collar is buttoned up. If the frag needs more than 2 sprays, I'll do the standard 2 shots and then mist as needed.

Depends on what the scent is going to be. If it's for work, my wrists and neck, with one on my neck.

• Why?
The reason I do this is people sit across from people and I like the thought of my presence being heard and felt with my wrists. Another tip I got and like but forget about it when I get ready is to spray my ankles. Since scent rises it helps.

If it's a night with my wife, on my chest, and a quick walk in spray on my hair.

• Why?
Since my wife is shorter than I am, she is at chest level and can smell me better. The hair is nice because the scent lasts longer there since the head gives off the most body heat which helps the scent last.

One thing I've been told is to never rub your wrists together. It smashes the chemicals and kills the scent. Also, stay away from scented lotions, even prior to putting cologne on it will effect the scent.

All of the is subjective to what Im wearing too. I love strong scents and have some heavy hitters that I wear like Knize line, Creed, and Polo. All very polarizing so I have to be careful.

Something my wife does that is magnificent since Im taller is if the outfit permits, she'll spray a cotton ball and put it in her cleavage so he scent rises right into me. The spray on the hair doesn't work so well with women because of the cra....I mean stuff they put in their hair. Talk about a clash with a nice scent and hairspray.

One thing I've been told is to never rub your wrists together. It smashes the chemicals and kills the scent.

I've read that online too and in general think it's total bull. How can you "smash" chemicals by rubbing skin together? Rubbing your wrists together will dilute the scent because you're spreading it around. It might cause the alcohol in the perfume to evaporate a little more quickly because of that. I'd be curious to see what someone with some chemistry knowledge has to say on this point.

I've read that online too and in general think it's total bull. How can you "smash" chemicals by rubbing skin together? Rubbing your wrists together will dilute the scent because you're spreading it around. It might cause the alcohol in the perfume to evaporate a little more quickly because of that. I'd be curious to see what someone with some chemistry knowledge has to say on this point.

Call Creed. I called after the salesperson at the boutique in NY told me that it shortens the life of the scent. And I just spent near $400 so I wanted to know how not to waste it. The Creed rep told me it "smashes" the scent. Might have been a term used in their world of perfumes. It was like calling Apple and having an engineer tell you about how they make the software....they go on and on and on.

Just because a Creed rep said it doesn't mean it's true or maybe "smash" means something different to them than literally smashing chemicals like you said. Actually smashing chemicals is what I'm calling BS on.

As far as application methods go, if it works for you, then you're not really wasting it.

One shot on each side of the back of the neck works well for me, particularly if I am wearing a shirt and tie. The spray on the front by your Adam's apple seems to rub off from the clotting contact for me, but I have a very short thick neck.

My favorite cologne is Tuscany by Aramis. Great musky, spicy smell!

I spray some on the chest and some on the back. When I sweat, I sweat on my chest and back. This activates the cologne and makes me smell good!

I've heard that one shouldn't spray cologne on a shirt. Simply because cologne/perfum is activated by ones body heat and such, and when it is applied to the shirt, the scent quickly wears off in an hour or less. I also don't know if you can smell the 3 notes in a cologne when applied to the shirt.

This was told to me by a friend though, so I'm no expert on this matter by any means.

Here's the low down, spray on the pulse points, for you want to smell pretty all day, carry one in your handbag (because girls use edt/cologne; men use aftershave and yes it has to have alcohol in it to be aftershave), give yourself a little spray everytime you go to powder you nose, because that's what all the other girls do!

One thing you can do to make a scent last longer is find after shaves to go with your fragrance. This way you can use less of the cologne and help it last longer.

Top Bottom