What's new

Where to apply cologne and how to make it last longer

I always do two applications of my cologne. The first application is immediately after I finish my shower while my skin is still hot before I put on my bathrobe to dry off. I spray a very generous amount into my hand and apply it everywhere.

The second application is after I've shaved, done my hair etc...after I've completely dried off. I spray once behind each ear, once on the soft spot under my adams apple and once on the wrists.

Layering the applications gives me a unique blending of the aromas. Just as the first application starts to fade from top to middle notes, the second applications top notes are still very prevalent and so forth.

I'm not sure about L'occitan, but with my Yves Saint Laurent L'Homme, it's hard to overdo it as L'Homme isn't a very powerful scent. It's more subtle.

This isn't the best way to make your bottle of cologne last very long, but the scent lasts all day and into the night for me.

For me that video is right. On the back of my hand the fragrance lasts longer than on my wrists, even when I put on gloves throughout the day.

Vaseline??? I would not do that. If you want it to last longer, spray some on your clothes as well. This is a highly contested practice among avid cologne wearers, but I think it is reasonable (just don't drench your clothes in it.)
I've always wondered why some people hate the idea of spraying fragrance onto clothes. I usually spray onto skin for development and clothes for a bit more longevity.

S

stubble trouble

If I'm going to work, I don't want people to be clobbered over the head with any of my colognes. Also, I will never spray knize ten or penaligon's on a shirt again. They are just too potent to have right under your nose. IMHO, the more quality - read expensive - rarely warrant more than two sprays on the chest / abdomen. More every day type colognes should, IMHO, be applied however works for you (trial and error style).

scott

Remember, "A man who can smell his cologne is wearing too much of a good thing." The only people that should smell you are the those who get very close. (I.e. SWMBO (actual or potential))

That said, I'm a sweater, so cologne quickly dissipates from my skin. Consequently I probably use more than most. I spray one shot on each upper shoulder, one on the chest, and on one wrist (which is then rubbed with the other).

Nobody has ever commented on my cologne (except. of course, the aforementioned actual and potential SWMBOs) so either I'm not wearing too much or I wreak so badly that nobody wants to come close enough to tell me I stink! :biggrin1:

As with so many things, if you ask someone how much to apply or where to apply it, you'll get as many answers as people whom you ask.

I was advised by a men's product company to put cologne on areas where you can get a pulse such as on the neck and wrists. Apparently the blood flow in those areas creates heat which in turn, activates the cologne.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
I was wondering what the ideal places to apply cologne are. Also if there are any techniques that help it last longer. I heard applying vaseline to the application areas can help. Any tips? I just bought L'occitan. Sometimes it lasts and sometimes it doesn't.
Kyle:
My Father (of whom I've always thought of as great teacher and gentleman), told and showed me (just like my Mother also), that the best place for applying cologne on behind the ears & also on the earlobes.

Reason?

Because your ears are classed as a 'pulse point'...just the same as the inside of your wrists and/or your chest. These are 'warm' area's of the body and applying colognes to these places enhances the smell (but does not overpower), of the fragrance you are wearing.

Having said that, I know of some men who apply (besides the ears), a very, very 'light' dosing of cologne in palm of their hands and then 'run' their hands 'through' their hair...which isn't the end of the world either. :thumbup:

Christopher :badger:

Last edited:
Top Bottom