What's new

My Guess... 3017

Kind of a random question, but has anyone noticed their scent preferences changing after sticking to only one soap at a time?

I've never been a huge fan of strongly scented soaps. With the exception of a couple of jars of MdC (moderately scented to my nose) the soaps I've gravitated towards over the last few years seem to be mildly or lightly scented, like MWF.

I guess a strong scent can get cloying after a while.
That is exactly what I have found my tastes changing too.

I used to seek out strongly scented products but because they were rotated, I never noticed them being too strong and overpowering.

Now I prefer mild scents and finish with a scented splash.

I also used to be a huge fan of soft soaps, mostly coconut oil based I guess (or steric acid, I'm bad with ingredients) and now favor tallow based, hard pucks or straight up soft creams.

Last edited:
I'm glad Bruce mentioned this. I too was all about the soft (maybe artisan soaps) when they first came on the scene but have also gravitated toward harder tallow soaps. In fact with daily use they tend to soften up to a nice texture just not 'that' soft. The I Coloniali I just started (no tallow) right now is hard but I have heard it softens a bit with daily use/hydration...another cool factor of sticking with one soap at a time...seeing its transition. I have noticed this with the Haslinger as well, especially when cut and pressed into a dish.

I'm glad Bruce mentioned this. I too was all about the soft (maybe artisan soaps) when they first came on the scene but have also gravitated toward harder tallow soaps. In fact with daily use they tend to soften up to a nice texture just not 'that' soft. The I Coloniali I just started (no tallow) right now is hard but I have heard it softens a bit with daily use/hydration...another cool factor of sticking with one soap at a time...seeing its transition. I have noticed this with the Haslinger as well, especially when cut and pressed into a dish.

I just received I Coloniali shaving soap in the terra cotta dish. She picked it up at Mertz while visiting friends in Chicago. It was a birthday gift from the lovely wife. I order the tubs of I Coloniali Myrrh massage cream for her and she loves it. She figured the shaving soap must be equally as outstanding.

I was 3017ing my stick of Palmolive...but it looks like I'll be switching over to the I Coloniali, so as not to offend my missus.

Smells great. Test lather went well. I'll give it a whirl tomorrow.

I just received I Coloniali shaving soap in the terra cotta dish. She picked it up at Mertz while visiting friends in Chicago. It was a birthday gift from the lovely wife. I order the tubs of I Coloniali Myrrh massage cream for her and she loves it. She figured the shaving soap must be equally as outstanding.

I was 3017ing my stick of Palmolive...but it looks like I'll be switching over to the I Coloniali, so as not to offend my missus.

I cannot say enough good things about it. If I was a fanboy for any soap, so far it would be I Coloniali.

I absolutely love I Coloniali. Wonderful performance with a very unique smell.

Thanks for the encouragment, gents! I was a bit surprised with one aspect of the I Coloniali soap. When I popped the lid, it looked like an Italian soft soap...but the soap is actually rock hard. I love the smell.

That is exactly what I have found my tastes changing too.

I used to seek out strongly scented products but because they were rotated, I never noticed them being too strong and overpowering.

Now I prefer mild scents and finish with a scented splash.

I also used to be a huge fan of soft soaps, mostly coconut oil based I guess (or steric acid, I'm bad with ingredients) and now favor tallow based, hard pucks or straight up soft creams.

+1, I've had the same progression as Bruce and I think this may feed into my near fanboy appreciation of Haslinger. Its not triple milled, but it is a hardish soap with mild scents. If they offered a light citrus scent in Schafmilch it would be shaving perfection.

Tallow + Lanolin is always a good combination in my book.

Absolutely! See my idea of Citrus Scented Schafmilch above. They couldn't make enough of the stuff.

The more time I have in the saddle with traditional shaving, the more I prefer hard tallow based soaps. The classics if you will. I don't favor mild scents, yet I don't need super strong scents, and I can quickly detect synthetic scents that I don't like. Not sure if this is an evolution, or just figuring out what I like.

The more time I have in the saddle with traditional shaving, the more I prefer hard tallow based soaps. The classics if you will. I don't favor mild scents, yet I don't need super strong scents, and I can quickly detect synthetic scents that I don't like. Not sure if this is an evolution, or just figuring out what I like.

Likely it's a bit of both...

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
Donuts to start the day off on the right foot!
proxy.php

The fendrihan soap is turning out better than I had feared. For some reason : I feared another Williams.

Lathers up easily, goes on well, decent protection. The only disappointment is the scent which died down when I lathered it up: I catch only traces of it lathered up and it smells of a nice hotel soap (not a bad thing imho)

Finished off the AoS Sandalwood Cream. 9 more shaves at around 4.44 grams per shave. It's a nice soap, but probably won't get it again. I might have been able to get one more shave out of the cream, but there was so little left, it would have been very thin and uncomfortable. Next on deck is a tube of Prorasso Green.

3017 Log

2015/07/24--2015/08/05 - Art Of Shaving Sandalwood Cream (Part 2) (40g, 9s, 4.44 gps)
2015/03/05--2015/07/23 - DR Harris Lavender (100g, 85s, 1.18 gps)
2015/02/25--2015/03/04 - Art Of Shaving Sandalwood Cream (Part 1) (54.6g, 7s, 7.80 gps)
2015/02/20--2015/02/24 - St. Charles Shave Sandalwood Soap (28g, 5s, 5.60 gps)
2015/01/30--2015/02/19 - Irisch Moos Grated Sample (33g, 17s, 1.94 gps)
2014/11/11--2015/01/29 - Mystic Waters Adirondack Jack (Rotation) (30g, 8s, 3.75 gps)
2014/11/11--2015/01/29 - Proraso Red Sandalwood (Rotation) (147g, 36s, 4.08 gps)
2014/06/30--2014/11/10 - Arko Stick (Rotation) (75g, 47s, 1.60 gps)
2014/06/30--2014/11/10 - Ogallala Bay Rum and Sweet Orange (Rotation)(128g, 43s, 2.98 gps)
2014/06/07--2014/06/29 - Cella Sample (13s)
2014/05/01--2014/06/06 - RazoRock XXX (96g, 22s, 4.36 gps)
2014/03/23--2014/04/30 - RazoRock Zi'Peppino (89g, 33s, 2.70 gps)
2014/03/17--2014/03/22 - Mystic Water Viola di Bosca Sample (13g, 5s, 2.60 gps)
2014/03/12--2014/03/16 - Mike's Natural Hungarian Lavender Sample (15g, 4s, 3.75 gps)
2014/03/08--2014/03/11 - Mike's Natural Lime Sample (3s)
2014/03/05--2014/03/07 - Palmolive Shaving Cream Cool Sample (3s)
2014/01/27--2014/03/04 - Valobra Almond (part 2) (120g, 29s, 4.14 gps )
2014/01/22--2014/01/26 - Strop Shoppe Samples (4s)
2013/12/25--2014/01/21 - RazoRock Christmas in Tuscany Chunk (17s)
2013/12/12--2013/12/24 - Valobra Almond (part 1) (30g, 7s, 4.29 gps)
2013/11/09--2013/12/11 - Godrej Soap (70g, 22s, 3.18 gps)

Starting to see the bowl through the bottom of Schafmilch. 16g left. Pretty quick soap to knock out. Good shaves.

I'd love a citrus scent. Maybe add a lavender too.

Every once in a while I load a large amount of soap into my Plisson, and haven't quite nailed down the culprit yet. Yesterday I used 6g of the Proraso. I'm averaging around 2g most days. Can't complain too much, though. Good lathers from the Green but it leaves me a touch dry and I don't like the film it leaves on my gear. Looking forward to killing it.

RazoRock Tight Buns is still going very well, no complaints. I've dialed in the lather so it's creamy, slick & protective. Mild, clean and classy scent too.

I'm going to hold off using any more Haslinger for the remaining few months of the year. Maybe kill off an 888 and then some CiT before the Year of Haslinger decision has to be made.

Top Bottom