What's new

My Guess... 3017

Had an excellent first pass lather with the MWF today:

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421705031.710688.jpg

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421705042.656308.jpg

Then it was a bit thin second pass, then thinner third pass.

I'm getting closer to dropping the soap and joining the MdC 3017. The MWF isn't terrible but it's a pain to lather and I have to reload frequently.

I am still working on Mikes Rose and Cedar. Last soap I 3017'd was Schafmilch. I can't recall have so many excellent shaves in a row. I was going to hit Valobra and Cella for the next couple soaps to 3017 but I have been enjoying lanolin so much this winter I think I will go back to Haslinger when I am done with this tin of Mikes. I still have a puck or 2 of Schafmilch laying around. Will probably hit one of those for Feb. Might as well make it an entire winter of excellent shaves.

I am still working on Mikes Rose and Cedar. Last soap I 3017'd was Schafmilch. I can't recall have so many excellent shaves in a row. I was going to hit Valobra and Cella for the next couple soaps to 3017 but I have been enjoying lanolin so much this winter I think I will go back to Haslinger when I am done with this tin of Mikes. I still have a puck or 2 of Schafmilch laying around. Will probably hit one of those for Feb. Might as well make it an entire winter of excellent shaves.

I'm on a lanolin kick myself. Working through Mystic Waters (the ones with lanolin), Musgo cream and B&M samples until 2/1 then it's a strop shoppe with tallow and lanolin for February. Doubling down with Myrsol Emulsion most days. Lanolin is the bomb during winter.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Whiskers will hold the lather and make it stick better. The 2nd and 3rd passes, the lather has less to stick to, thus, it feels thinner when the lather is really not.

I don't understand. Have no issues with MWF

You are lucky, Kev. I can lather MWF easily, but I find it hard to get the lather to have the consistency I look for in my favorite products. I think that most people who struggle prefer their lather to feel very dense. Most MWF lather I see in pics doesn't look like lather I typically enjoy shaving with. But, if you love it, then you are good to go.

I've lathered MWF probably 30 times in the last week or two. If I get a good first pass, later passes are thin. It's like the soap is either too dry or too foamy, and if it's the latter then it dries out. Really a pain.

My guess is water hardness is a factor but again I can lather so many soaps well that it becomes not worth it for me.

VDH deluxe
$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421723868.473713.jpg

Stirling
$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421723885.423326.jpg

WSP rustic
$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421723928.612671.jpg

AOS
$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421723947.264823.jpg

MWF
$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421723961.346097.jpg

I think those who adhere to the 3017 philosophy are quite reluctant to just "give up" on a soap. I know I was, I almost felt guilty giving up on 2 full size and 1 sample that I didn't like.
There is that mindset that "using it all up" is what we are supposed to do. OTOH, life is too short to suffer through bad lather.

Have you tried using the Marco's method with MWF? or soaking the brush and soap then squeeze out most of the water then dumping the water out of the soap after that load for about 45 sec to a minute. I get good results with both methods.

Update on my 3017 journey:
Just finished 11 samples, used about half the Stirling to help fix a shedding brush (lather, rinse, squeeze, repeat).
Out of these samples, I would buy again: Mikes Lime, Mikes Bay Rum, Mugso Real Original, Maggards London Barbershop, I would buy/try Strop Shoppe and LASS but didn't care for the scents I had. Loved the soap, just not the scents.
Wouldn't buy again: Mugso Spiced Citrus, Mugso Amber Orange, and Stirling Scots Pine Sheep (all "meh" scents to me) and
Maggards Limes and Bergamot (irritation).

Here is my remaining inventory, I made an alphabetized list and went to random.org to mix them up, saves me the neurosis of trying to figure out which one to pick next. There is one or two doubles on the list. I didn't add my three tubes of Barbasol Brushless, because I am not a fan of brushless creams. Come to think of it, I also forgot to add Cremo. Oh well, it's brushless, too. I guess those will be my travel creams. I think I am going to be pretty ruthless while going through this list, as I suspect there may be a few stinkers in here. I know what works well for me, and these soaps had better measure up or they will be demoted to shower duty, or PIF'd.
1) Palmolive cream
2) Strop Shoppe Barbershop
3) Barrister and Mann Leviathan
4) Mikes Natural Barbershop
5) Coates Cream Rose
6) Palmolive stick
7) Arko Moist cream
8) Coates Lavender cream
9) Barrister and Mann Latha
10) Seaforth
11) Arko stick
12) Classic Shaving Jasmine
13) Coates Tea Tree cream
14) Coates Sandalwood cream
15) Super-Max cream
16) Reef Point Peerless
17) Mikes Natural Barbershop
18) HTGAM CaD
19) Soap Commander Love
20) Wilkinson Stick
21) Reef Point Sublime
22) Classic Shaving Lilac
23) LASS Hollywood Romance
24) Arko Stick
25) Arko tub
26) Synergy Lime
27) Coates Cream Lime

Any guesses as to when I will finish out this lineup?
I will PIF any soap or cream on this list to anyone who can predict the closest as to when I will finish up with them, entries accepted until I finish out with #1, Palmolive cream, used only once or twice so far. Only exception is the Seaforth, being as they are decades OOP, if the winner picks that they can have the mug.

05-29-2014 to 06-29-2014: Mikes Barbershop - Yes will replace
06-30-2014 to 10-03-2014: Mitchell's Wool Fat - Maybe replace
10-04-2014 to 10-31-2014: Coates Cream Almond - No
11-01-2014 to 11-10-2014: Classic Shaving Rose- No, binned due to irritation
11-12-2014 to 11-25-2014: Wilkinson Blue Bowl- No, binned, mediocre shaves
11-26-2014 to 01-19-2015: 11 Samples
01-20-2015 to xx-xx-xxxx: Palmolive cream

I'll finish out the month with it and then make the call to stay or jump ship.

Life is too short for bad lathers. It seems like you are having a lot of problems with this soap. I'd dump it and move on. One word of advice, save the AOS, it's such a good soap that it was hard for me to use other soaps after I 3017'ed a puck of Sandalwood AOS.

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
When I have a soap that lathers poorly for me, sometimes (well, always :tongue_sm) it takes the entire puck to convince me.

Top Bottom