What's new

My Guess... 3017

I am down to either Haslinger Schalfmilsch or Czech & Speake Oxford & Cambridge for my next 3017 victim, er, soap. I have been leaning toward the O&C, but all the Haslinger chat in this thread really has me rethinking this one.

Grab the Haslinger- it is a smaller puck and then you will have the joy of O&C lavender in the warmer weather. Great soaps either way.

After a couple weeks off, thinking of a return to 3017. A few weeks of subpar shaves from MWF and then Arlington took me for a loop. Then seeing the potential of soaps like Cella and Tabac got me wandering.

Just about killed off a sample of Mike's and a sample of Stirling. Might do some more samples and then go to the full size soaps. Probably want to save Tabac for the fall and Cella...not sure when that would be appropriate.

Also, getting a couple soap killing boars, a Semogue Cerda and an Omega 49. That should teach the hard soaps a thing or two...

I'm up to:

Samples:
Stirling Lemony Orange
Stirling Sharp Dressed Man
Stirling Naked and Smooth
Stirling Sandalwood
Stirling Lime
Stirling Barbershop
Stirling Tuscany
Mike's Lavandin & Eucalyptus
AOS Lavender (cream)
AOS Sandalwood (cream)

Full-Size:
Cella
RazoRock Third Eye
Tabac
Arlington
KFM Lavender (cream)

Not sure what I'm going to do after I'm finished with my puck of DRH Marlborough. I may just do a week or two of "whatever floats my boat" that day and then settle into another soap from start to finish. I have a bunch of pucks that have 7 or less shaves on them..... and I may just pick on of those. Probably a Calani soap. Maybe Tulach Ard or Gentleman?

Ben

D.R. Harris Marlborough - Shave #49

Tuesday Evening

Prep:
Kiehl's Re-Texturizing Epidermal Micro-dermabrasion Face Scrub / warm water
Razor: 1938-45 Gillette Tech w/ Fat Handle
Blade: Gillette Platinum
Brush: Simpson Chubby 2 Super Badger
Soap: D.R. Harris Marlborough
Aftershave: YSL L'Homme AS Lotion / Penhaligon's Endymion AS Balm
Cologne of the Day: YSL L'Homme

Ben

Grab the Haslinger- it is a smaller puck and then you will have the joy of O&C lavender in the warmer weather. Great soaps either way.

I used to frown upon these little pucks...Calani, Hasslinger, but am now seeing them as a positive.

If dialed in quickly, it allows to switch up scents almost monthly (guessing). I guess that's the benefit of a brick of something too as you can just cut a 50g hunk and enjoy it for a few weeks and then move on to the next one.

I had to terminate my effort to 3017 a full puck of Institut Karité soap. Everything was seemingly fine with the lather, but I got a lot of nicks practically every shave. I decided that no soap is worth suffering for when you have several other soaps waiting on their turn. I did 23 shaves and now it's heading for shower duty.

My current soap is Calani Tulach Ard that I've been using since Sunday and it's really nice. The scent is perhaps the best fougere scent I've ever smelled and it's perfect for early spring. This one also contains lanolin and sheep's milk.

The journey so far:
2.12.2013 - 12.12.2013 Arko (16 g): 9 shaves, 1.8 g per shave
1.1.2014 - 18.1.2014 Figaro (56 g): 16 shaves, 3.5 g per shave
19.1.2014 - 6.2.2014 Tcheon Fung Sing Mandarino e Spezie aroma intenso (42 g): 16 shaves, 2.6 g per shave
7.2.2014 - 21.2.2014 Palmolive stick (21 g): 13 shaves, 1.6 g per shave
22.2.2014 - 22.3.2014 Institut Karité (42 g): 23 shaves, 1.8 g per shave
23.3.2014 - ** Calani Tulach Ard (59 g):

D.R. Harris Marlborough - Shave #50

Wednesday Evening

Prep:
Shower / Baxter of California Daily Face Wash
Razor: 1953 Y3 Gillette President
Blade: Gillette Platinum
Brush: Edwin Jagger Large Silvertip Badger w/ Faux Horn Handle
Soap: D.R. Harris Marlborough
Aftershave: Floid Blue AS Lotion / Floid Sensitive AS Balsam
Cologne of the Evening: Floid Blue EDT

Ben

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
full

Last edited by a moderator:

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
After years of 3017 soaps, old habits die hard. :yesnod:
I've been working on the MDC after knocking off a NOS puck of Old Spice. Although I broke through the MDC, this one still got plenty to go. And that's a good thing. :thumbup1:

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
After years of 3017 soaps, old habits die hard. :yesnod:
I've been working on the MDC after knocking off a NOS puck of Old Spice. Although I broke through the MDC, this one still got plenty to go. And that's a good thing. :thumbup1:

Hey Bobby, what will be your next victim? :a33:

Bob, was that jar MdC brand spankin' new when you started using back in January?

I am ever so close to wearing through to the bottom of the jar. However, there is still a lot of soap on the walls of the jar. Not sure, but I think I might have to smoosh/squash the remaining soap down to the bottom to allow for proper brush loading.

I have a feeling that was the jar...90 days, 2.5g per day, would put it at around the 3017 usage.

Makes me want to tackle my jar again or my Fougure that has 50g removed from PIF samples.

Ben,

I've been curious about the Floid Blue EDT. What's your take on it?

To me, smells exactly like the after shave lotion. It's got decent longevity. I don't really wear it much during the day..... I usually splash a little on in the evening (I'm an evening shaver) after I use the after shave. Not really an everyday scent for me.... but I enjoy it none the less.

Ben

I had to terminate my effort to 3017 a full puck of Institut Karité soap. Everything was seemingly fine with the lather, but I got a lot of nicks practically every shave. I decided that no soap is worth suffering for when you have several other soaps waiting on their turn. I did 23 shaves and now it's heading for shower duty.

*Snip*...

That's interesting. I like Institut Karite because I find it to be extremely protective. This hobby/addiction of ours is very subjective.

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
Hey Bobby, what will be your next victim? :a33:

I have a puck of AoS Lavender (before the reformulation) that I have my eye on.

Bob, was that jar MdC brand spankin' new when you started using back in January?

Nope. I would say it had about 10 or so shaves on it at the beginning of January. I used it for the first two weeks of January (thinking I was going to 3017 it straight through and then decided to start a brand new puck of the NOS Old Spice. When the OS was done, some time in late February, early March, I went back to the MdC. I will stick with it for the remainder of the jar.

NOS Old Spice, MdC, Old formulation AoS. Can't find a bad one in the bunch.

The Haslinger (thanks to all of the praise it receives here) is starting to haunt me.

Top Bottom