What's new

My Guess... 3017

strop

Now half as wise
To be fair, it was a sample, but I just couldn't make it work. It was the first ingredient in my tub of Frankensoap that will eventually get this treatment.

First shave with AOS sandalwood soap (tallow) this morning after 7 months with tallow first English Fern. While EF is (was?) a great performer and quite possibly the best-smelling soap I've used, gun to my head I'd have to pick AOS tallow. I'm no stranger to AOS soap, btw, this wasn't my first time using it by any means. Even after one shave it was immediately apparent that for me there is definitely more cushion that leads to a smoother shave. Can't wait for the shaves to get even better as it's 3017 journey continues.

Ben

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
While EF is (was?) a great performer and quite possibly the best-smelling soap I've used, gun to my head I'd have to pick AOS tallow.

+1.
Since I finished my last 3017 soap, I have been alternating between a puck of NOS Old Spice and MdC.

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
I've been in a "use it up" kind of mode for close to 2 years now, but can only track back to October 2012 in the Graveyard for product finish dates. So here's the stuff I am aware of:

???????- Oct.14.2012.....Col.Conk Amber (small puck)
Oct.15 - Dec.19.2012.....VDH Deluxe
Dec.20 - Jan.07.2013.....Penhaligon's Blenheim Bouquet (partial tub)..... Wowwee!!!!
Jan.08 - Mar.06.2013.....C&E Sienna cream
Mar.07 - Mar.28.2013.....Mama Bear's Aged Spice (mug soap; they're so tiny, they're cute!)
Mar.29 - May.25.2013.....Palmolive Classica Naturale cream
May.26 - Jun.22.2013.....Proraso Green tube (partial tube, old formula)
Jun.23 - Sep.27.2013.....TOBS Sandalwood cream (I love sandalwood products)
Sep.28 - Nov.02.2013.....Mama Bear's Northwoods (partial puck)
Nov.03 - Dec.14.2013.....Mama Bear's Amber Romance (partial puck)
Dec.15 - ??????.2014.....Klar Kabinett (last 3/4" of my stock)

Of these products, the Pen's BB was freaking awesome; that pseudo-liquorice scent was just heavenly. The old formula Proraso Green is, of course, a winner, as is the TOBS Sandalwood. I'm also a nut for Mama Bear's soaps, loving the combination of slickness, cushion and scents that make straight shaving so much fun.

Rockviper,

Are you planning on finishing your Klar Kabinett before starting your D R Harris?

He's free to "You agree to 3017 this puck next in rotation...."

Either way, glad to see Sam in the 3017 thread and he's been doing it a long time now.

I followed his 365 Shaves last year and noticed he used a rotation similar to me (same Brush for a week or longer, same AS, same soap etc).

He's a 3017er, through and through.

Day three of Mugso Real Lavender and could not be happier. My set up was Grand Shave King, Personna Red, Plisson HMW 12, and AoS unscented Aftershave Balm. I have been bowl lathering with this cream and the Plissson had this lather up and ready ok no time. I found I had to use less cream and slightly more water to get the same amount of lather I had with the AoS Fine Badger. This cream has tons of cushion so I am going to go for a shaper blade next shave to see if I can get a bit closer in two passes rather than three. Pleasent sent and face was left well conditioned. On the other hand the AoS unscented balm just leaves me empty. It moisterises the face well but has no life to it leaving me flat. One can not tell it is working.

Fudd, have you tried Queen Charlotte Soaps' aftershave balm? Ten minutes after I apply it, I can feel that stuff healing any irritated areas of my face.

Okay, I'm going to dip my toe in here to start.

I had my first shave with a sample of Stirling Spice last night and I will 3017 it until it's gone. Not sure how long people get from the samples, but they're roughly 1/3 a puck and I see people killing them in about a month, so we'll see how it looks this time next week.

My wife really likes the scent, and I am okay with it, but I think I prefer lighter scents. As in citrus/mint/fresh versus the spiciness, not that it was too strong in the Stirling.

I used Marco's method in a bowl with my Omega Baby Pro and loaded for about 90 seconds. It took a long time, but I got lots of nice thick wet lather and had a pretty darn good shave from it. I shouldn't have, but chased a BBS so had some irritation, but had I stopped after 3 passes I would have had very little.

I will post pictures of the sample next time I shave, which will probably be tomorrow night (or later) since my beard doesn't grow all that fast and I got about as close as ever last night.

I need to clear the other soaps out of the bathroom, they are very tempting. This will definitely save me time, every shave starts with me smelling half a dozen to pick which one to use.

BTW, what are the rules on test lathering other products? I sure do have fun lathering soap just to rinse it down and lather another one.

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
Rockviper,
Are you planning on finishing your Klar Kabinett before starting your D R Harris?
Yes, but since it was only 3/4" of a bar, it's not like I needed to finish a while 1/2-kilo of it. I'm thinking it ill be done somewher around the end of January, give or take a week or so.

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
Finished sample of Mike's Lilly of the Valley today. Easy to lather. Slick. A solid performer

Starting a 170gram chunk of P.160 tomorrow. It smells wonderful.

I noticed that my AOS bowl is in pretty tough shape. It doesn't seem like it's meant to withstand water. I've probably used ~ 25% or so before I started the 3017 treatment. Popped the puck out and stuffed it into my empty Penhaligon's EF bowl which looks as good as the day it was new. Quite the combo now.

Ben

The long (and most enjoyable) run with DRH is almost at an end. My puck of Marlborough is not much more than a few shards and will probably see its last daylight tomorrow. After such a great journey I will probably fire up one of my small Haslinger pucks and then follow that up with a new jar of MdC.

Struggle on!

The long (and most enjoyable) run with DRH is almost at an end. My puck of Marlborough is not much more than a few shards and will probably see its last daylight tomorrow. After such a great journey I will probably fire up one of my small Haslinger pucks and then follow that up with a new jar of MdC.

Struggle on!

Bummer, it looks like you will get a head start on me.

are we doing a run at MdC? I may be able to bump my next couple of 30 day soaps for a 6 month run at one of my jars of MdC.

mine are the 170g Scented, so I figured 5-6 months of daily shaving, given my past experience with it.

are we doing a run at MdC? I may be able to bump my next couple of 30 day soaps for a 6 month run at one of my jars of MdC.

mine are the 170g Scented, so I figured 5-6 months of daily shaving, given my past experience with it.

If that is the Royal "we", then I guess we are. :001_tt2:

I have never tried the soap, but there are 2 jars unopened in my cabinet which have been waiting since early last year for some attention. That attention will be applied shortly.

Fudd, have you tried Queen Charlotte Soaps' aftershave balm? Ten minutes after I apply it, I can feel that stuff healing any irritated areas of my face.

No I haven't and now that I failed my sabbatical I am open to make new purchases. Though trying to complete my original 3017 goal. I am trying to transfer from creams to mostly soaps and try to than come up with a seasonal rotation.

If that is the Royal "we", then I guess we are. :001_tt2:

I have never tried the soap, but there are 2 jars unopened in my cabinet which have been waiting since early last year for some attention. That attention will be applied shortly.

Seems like a few guys may be thinking of doing the 3017 treatement on MdC.

I also have 2 unopened jars and a 3/4 Fougure, but will gear myself up for a run at one of the 170g Scented Jars that is calling for attention.

If all goes well and my plan sticks, I should be starting it in about 10 days when my PannaCreama is done.

My longest run so far was with the PdP at 88 days...so this will be a true test for me, if I try to tackle it.

Top Bottom