What's new

My Guess... 3017

Heading out of town for the weekend but the 3017 of Mikes shall not be delayed. I'm bringing the Mikes with, along with the Omega '98 boar, and EJ razor. The 3017 journey continues. Cheers!

LASS Santa Monica Bay Rum is fantastic, but the oils make it too spicy on my skin. Feels like a low-level bay rum burn while I shave.

Guess that's another one for the trade pile.

Heading out of town for the weekend but the 3017 of Mikes shall not be delayed. I'm bringing the Mikes with, along with the Omega '98 boar, and EJ razor. The 3017 journey continues. Cheers!
That's dedication. I always take time away from home to enjoy another product without feeling guilty about it.
LASS Santa Monica Bay Rum is fantastic, but the oils make it too spicy on my skin. Feels like a low-level bay rum burn while I shave.

Guess that's another one for the trade pile.
That's a bummer. I guess Bay Rum is more on the spicier side so the oils must be more potent.

Haslinger Sage has no issues and is working out great for me. 20 seconds with a damp brush, face lathered, seems to be the perfect amount of product. I get the lather quality and quantity I need without feeling stingy and not being wasteful.

This is after pass 1.

Attachments

• $uploadfromtaptalk1433038805448.jpg
    $uploadfromtaptalk1433038805448.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 166
That's a bummer. I guess Bay Rum is more on the spicier side so the oils must be more potent.

Not necessarily. I have a puck of Conk Bay Rum that I use as a travel stick and it's nowhere near spicy. I've heard the same from B&M's version. I have a sample of RR from the Captain that someone gave me which needs a shot in the rotation.

I may also have some sensitive skin from a fragrance perspective. I seem to be one of those people who would be fine with sandalwood, lavender or something else relatively benign. Makes me look forward to a year or more of Haslinger, actually.

My 3017 is going to be done quicker than I thought. I broke through my Palmolive today (it's in a mug) and didn't expect that. Great shave as always.

That's dedication. I always take time away from home to enjoy another product without feeling guilty about it..

I've brought soaps and also done without on vacation.

Last edited:
My 3017 is going to be done quicker than I thought. I broke through my Palmolive today (it's in a mug) and didn't expect that. Great shave as always.

I've brought soaps and also done without on vacation.

If I check luggage (which is most of the time) then my chosen 3017 victim comes with me. Carry-on means a travel tube of GFT Eucris gets temporarily promoted to the big leagues.

If I check luggage (which is most of the time) then my chosen 3017 victim comes with me. Carry-on means a travel tube of GFT Eucris gets temporarily promoted to the big leagues.
I have one of those tubes still unopened in the ever growing collection. My travel, if not my 3017, is an AoS cream in a small container and a Palmolive stick

Re: Travel, I've gone both ways too. Most recently I took the opportunity to bring a La Toja stick and loved it.

Tomorrow before church will finish off this sample. My plan was going to be jumping right into the Dr. Jon's that was generously PIF'd from egh128 but I'm feeling like this soap needs a heavy hitter follow-up to really compare it so I'm going to do at least a week or two with AoS tallow. No offense intended to Dr. Jon's or Darren.

The Godrej Menthol was finished last night. A fine cream with a solid dose of menthol, something I enjoy in our hot climate. I've got a couple of products lined up that I'd like to use next, a partially used tube of Proraso blue and a full brick of Valobra Almond. I'll be using the Valobra daily but have a couple of trips this month when Proraso blue will fill in. It's going to be a great June.:laugh:

$IMG_1035.JPG

So far:

2014:
Sept 1st-28th :Speick Shave stick -The soap that started my journey.
Sept 29th-Oct 6th :Arko
Oct 7th-Oct 15th :Amway Dynamite Shaving cream
Oct 16th-Oct 22nd :Haslinger Schafmilch
Oct 23rd-Nov 14th :Biotique Biopalmyra
Nov 15th-Dec 14th :RR KOTC Lavender
Dec 15th-Dec 25th :proraso E&M Green tub
Dec 26th-Dec 31st :Godrej Rich Foam contd...

2015:
Jan 1st-Jan 10th :Godrej Rich foam
Jan 11th-April 28th :pre de Provence
April 29th-May 9th :palmolive Moisturizing deluxe
May 10th-May 31st :Godrej Cool Menthol
June 1st-xxxx :Valobra Almond soft soap

That's dedication. I always take time away from home to enjoy another product without feeling guilty about it.

Haslinger Sage has no issues and is working out great for me. 20 seconds with a damp brush, face lathered, seems to be the perfect amount of product. I get the lather quality and quantity I need without feeling stingy and not being wasteful.

This is after pass 1.

I miss Haslinger. I have a drawer full and can't wait to get back to it.

Regarding travel, my go-to travel software is Proraso Blue in a tube. It seems to work well for me in any type of water. This weekend was just a car ride several hours north to visit friends in Thunder Bay, Canada...which is where I am right now. Who knew they had an internet in Canada? :001_smile Just kidding...I love Canada and visit here several times a year. I live in a border state and we could not have better "neighbors to our north".

I have soft water at home and the place I am at this weekend has very hard water. I don't recall ever using Mikes anywhere but at home. It seems the hard water made me load a bit longer....I want to say about 15 seconds or so longer. Mostly I seemed to use quite a bit more water than normal and had to spend maybe double the time working up a lather ( I face lather). It made me appreciate the soft water I have at home. Although...load time + extra water + extra lather time all total added another minute to the shave, and the result produced the usual very good lather that I get from Mikes. Not as slick as the top notch soaps, but very protective. Cheers!

Really enjoying my first 3017 journey. My Stirling SDM is disappearing faster than I imagined, although I'm getting close to 2.5g per shave so that should be expected. Beyond slick and great scent. Should be able to finish it off in the next two weeks before heading to Japan. Up on deck - a partially used tub of Proraso Green.

Had the last shave of my month with TOBS Mr Taylor shaving cream. Used my 26x58 Shavemac 2 band with a scuttle and my Weber with a Feather. Also used Shave Secret beforehand. Great three pass shave on a relatively lazy Sunday morning.

Usage was 73 grams over 27 shaves, which averaged out to 2.7 grams per shave.

With an estimated cost of $15 for a 150g tub, that would average out to 27 cents per shave.

My rating for the soap:

Scent: 3/5
It's a cologne type scent, which I typically like, but it seems to be artificial or synthetic to my nose and smells just a bit off. Very close to being fantastic, which I thought it was with my first sample. While the scent isn't bad, it's my least favorite part about the cream.

Ease of lather: 5/5
Extremely easy to lather. Just swipe the brush until you have enough cream, add a bit of water, work until you like it. It's a cream, so it should be easy, and it is.

Shave Quality: 4/5
My first several shaves were surprisingly fantastic, but later shaves were anywhere from good to very good, so I think it was more the blade. Still, this cream doesn't negatively impact the shave and the performance is very good overall. Balance of slickness and cushion skewing towards the latter.

Would I buy again? Probably not.
Again, the performance is really good, the price is decent, it's just the scent holding me back. I've had a number of samples from Garry's and Mr Taylor was in my top three along with Sandalwood and Eton College. I ordered full tubs of Mr Taylor and Sandalwood last summer and both smelled different than the samples, kind of "off". I think it's because the samples were less potent so I was getting just a whiff of it rather than a ton of the scent. I may at some point give Eton College a shot, because I did really like that one.

The SOTMC allows for the first few days to be free, so I'm thinking of using Speick cream, Pre de Provence, and B&M Latha to see what I want to do for June.

Took the remaining 1/2 of my Tabac stick and smooshed it in a bowl. Perhaps that will marginally hasten it's existence. Have to say that I'm liking the scent a bunch since it has mellowed.

Slight change of plans - I'm sticking with the PPF but switching the razor and brush. The GEM isn't my favorite so I'm back to my DEs and I've been using my new Omega 49 since the badger is being used for the brush test. The tin will be empty before the week is over.

I finished my piece of Arko pressed into an OS mug on Friday night. There was less than half a stick. Got aroma 25 shaves. Not sure because I didn't count. Seems about right thought. I got about 65 shaves from my last Arko stick. Took a little break last night with Haslinger Sage.

I'm still working on a small slice from my Sir Irisch Moos stick. I'm genuinely surprised at how resilient this soap is. It doesn't take much to get a lather going, but I assumed it would disappear faster. No complaints, though. It's a great soap and I'm really enjoying its performance.

Sticking with TOBS Avocado. I'll load it from the tub like it owes me a favor, and hopefully it won't last more than a couple of months.

Sticking with TOBS Avocado.
TOBS Avocado is a nice scent, but I could see getting sick of it quickly. Both scents of RazoRock that I tried went from great to intolerable less than halfway through, and the Avocado is a similar type of scent.

Last edited:
Used Pre de Provence today. Not a great lather but a good shave. That's kind of the pattern with this soap. I loaded a lot of it with a drier brush, essentially dusted the paste onto my face, added a tiny bit of water and it was a thin suspension of paste in water. It's like the soap particles don't mix with the water when I use this stuff.

I have my Speick stick and my B&M Latha on the ready for the next couple days then decide the next product.

I like the soap of the month bit but I don't like that I'm not killing products now. So I'll go for another month and see how I like it.

My other thought was to have Sunday free days or weekend free days or something like that. Gray area again.

Top Bottom