What's new

My Guess... 3017

I started on some B&M on the 5th of February. I haven't been shaving every day, and the tub was only about half full...but I broke through this morning. Fellow 3017ers, what is the lifespan for a full puck of B&M? Based on my initial usage I am guessing it is going at the same rate as RR. If that is the case, the cost per shave is way up there, but at least the lathers and shaves have been stellar.

For razors, I traded for an ATT M1 a few weeks ago and that's been my daily driver ever since. It's mild yet efficient and kind to my sensitive skin. Slightly better than my Weber which has been my #1 for two years.

Still on the wait list for the Wolfman...since June.

I am..er..was...guess I don't know...on Wolfmans wait list since last June with no communication. So I popped on an ATT slant instead and am very pleased. Things happen for a reason I guess. I love the slant, cant believe how well it shaves. I guess Wolfman makes a good razor but I'll never know. Too many better options (better as in you can actually get them). ATT may be coming out with a new SE soon. Rockwell looks interesting too.

Twin puck Schafmilch 3017 journey continues.

I am..er..was...guess I don't know...on Wolfmans wait list since last June with no communication. So I popped on an ATT slant instead and am very pleased. Things happen for a reason I guess. I love the slant, cant believe how well it shaves. I guess Wolfman makes a good razor but I'll never know. Too many better options (better as in you can actually get them). ATT may be coming out with a new SE soon. Rockwell looks interesting too.

Twin puck Schafmilch 3017 journey continues.
ATT might be my graduation present to myself when I finish my MBA in a few months. I don't fully understand all the differences between the heads or know which one I want but I know I want one

I'm curious to try the S1 at some point but man are these razors pricey. I figure with the wolfman I can get my money back very quickly if it doesn't work out. I love the look of them at least.

[MENTION=33552]bakerbarber[/MENTION] do you typically go through soaps pretty fast? I've owned a tub of Valobra Fougere and AoS Sandalwood tallow (made by Valobra) and barely scratch 1g/shave on those. They're triple-milled and you don't need much to get them going.

I have hard water.
I use more than enough to make sure I can face lather easily.

Hard water + more product.

I don't know if I go through soaps pretty fast. It's relative. I've never kept track before. Ever.

Like I said, no doubt in my mind I could have hit 60 shaves. It would have been another three long weeks for me though. I was getting a little bored with the same soap every single day. I don't eat the same food every single day, know what I mean. Doesn't mean I don't appreciate something decadent when I have it. King Crab and Champagne 40 days in a row would get old to me real quick too.

I don't intend to try and stretch my soaps anyway. I'm more interested in having a nice shave.

Seeing as I shave in the shower, I'm not exactly taking my time. A few extra swirls on the puck is faster to me than a few dozen extra swirls on my face trying to build my lather to the consistency I want it.

The rare occasion that I do lather in a bowl at the sink I probably use half of what I do in the shower. Lather bowl wouldn't be practical in the shower. It would get soupy pretty quick with the water running and all.

I don't know how much other people use or how they prefer their lather to be.

I wasn't trying to stretch it or see how fast I could crush it either. Just making an observation to satisfy my curiosity.

My findings will in no way impact how I roll either. It is what it is. I spent too many years getting poor shaves and junky lather with carts, drug store boar brushes, cheap soap, cans of foam, and 4 week old or more cartridges.

I'm in it for the best shave I can get every morning. 5 or 6 days a week before work it needs to happen fast.

Last edited:
I'm curious to try the S1 at some point but man are these razors pricey. I figure with the wolfman I can get my money back very quickly if it doesn't work out. I love the look of them at least.

Very true about getting money back. Not much risk in buying a Wolfman or an ATT. I like vintage Gillettes too. Techs, NEWS, Slims, Fatboys, I have them all and love them. If a guy can find a nice Tech its as fine a razor as you can own as far as I'm concerned. I debated with myself for a long long time before I got an S1. Its a great razor, no buyers remorse at all. At some point I'll get an S2 only because I like using OC's when I haven't shaved for a few days. Having said that....I'd be happy as a clam shaving with a Tech or Slim every day.

I have hard water.
I use more than enough to make sure I can face lather easily.

Hard water + more product.

I don't know if I go through soaps pretty fast. It's relative. I've never kept track before. Ever.

Like I said, no doubt in my mind I could have hit 60 shaves. It would have been another three long weeks for me though. I was getting a little bored with the same soap every single day. I don't eat the same food every single day, know what I mean. Doesn't mean I don't appreciate something decadent when I have it. King Crab and Champagne 40 days in a row would get old to me real quick too.

I don't intend to try and stretch my soaps anyway. I'm more interested in having a nice shave.

Seeing as I shave in the shower, I'm not exactly taking my time. A few extra swirls on the puck is faster to me than a few dozen extra swirls on my face trying to build my lather to the consistency I want it.

The rare occasion that I do lather in a bowl at the sink I probably use half of what I do in the shower. Lather bowl wouldn't be practical in the shower. It would get soupy pretty quick with the water running and all.

I don't know how much other people use or how they prefer their lather to be.

I wasn't trying to stretch it or see how fast I could crush it either. Just making an observation to satisfy my curiosity.

My findings will in no way impact how I roll either. It is what it is. I spent too many years getting poor shaves and junky lather with carts, drug store boar brushes, cheap soap, cans of foam, and 4 week old or more cartridges.

I'm in it for the best shave I can get every morning. 5 or 6 days a week before work it needs to happen fast.

No arguments from me. At the end of the day most of this stuff is pennies in the overall bucket, whether you get 40 or 60 shaves out of a puck. Was just curious if you generally go through stuff pretty fast, or if the Valobra was a special case.

The key to the Wolfman wait list is to forget you're on it. Finally seeing an invoice in my inbox was a pleasant surprise.

Its becoming very difficult to resist using my puck of Haslinger Honig!:blush: But I will for a little longer at least and thankfully the Shashave has been excellent so far.

This puck of Trumper Violet I'm using is mighty disappointing. I had picked it up in 2010 from a CO Bigelow shop (they were actually a chain for awhile!) that was going to close, and subsequently picked up a couple pucks of Violet and Rose in 2011 from Ben Silver. The puck of Trumper Rose that I used from the Ben Silver purchase was excellent, and am hoping that the puck of Trumper Violet from the Silver purchase will also be good. All I can say is that the 2010 Trumper Violet stinks. The superlathers are saving it from the bin, because the scent is fantastic, and goes very nicely with the floral Coate's creams I have been mixing with it. That said, once my year of Trumper is finished, my purchase of their lathering products will likely be confined to the creams.

I really thought I didn't.

Was surprised.

Are you sure Valobra is triple milled by the way? I've read conflicting stuff on the subject...

http://www.valobra.com/english/manufacturing.html

I think that's where people get it from. They refer specifically to milling and plodding, which leads one to believe they are triple milled. Also, since they are the manufacturers of AoS tallow and Czech & Speake (both triple milled) it seems pretty likely that their own hard soaps would be milled as well.

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
About 6 weeks of spicy scented lathers into my partial puck of Mama Bears Dragon's Blood and I am not sure it will see the weekend through. The soap is almost just a thin film on the bottom of the dish. After this is done, a near full tub of Cella (aged a few years in the basement) will get the next call to do battle with my whiskers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just finished a tub of Stirling Coniferous. Great soap, the scent was a bit off for me to begin with, I got used to it and learned to appreciate it though.

Next up is either half a tub of Mike's Coconut or Stirling's Ozark Mountain. Having trouble deciding.

The key to the Wolfman wait list is to forget you're on it. Finally seeing an invoice in my inbox was a pleasant surprise.

I understand what you're saying, patience is a virtue. I also understand we're talking about very small companies with limited resources.

My perspective is that I run a family business and put a lot of blood, sweat, and tears into providing a high level of customer service. I treat my customers exactly they way I want to be treated. The idea of asking my customers to put their name on a waiting list, then offering no communication for weeks / months / years(?) and one day dropping an invoice on them is intolerable.

I think they would better serve their customers if they either release razors in small batches to keep cash flow going and to give everyone an equal shot at getting one. Or, if each is custom made, possibly follow Wolf Whiskers Custom brushes approach, open up a certain number of production slots, commit to a delivery date, and communicate communicate communicate.

When I was starting out I received some good advice from my father who was retiring after 45 years. "Treat each customer as if they are personally feeding your family....because they are." That was 31 years ago. Some of my customers have been coming to me for 31 years straight and I still try to earn their repeat business. So when I am the customer, I give my hard earned money to the business that treats me with the same level of respect. ATT earned my business, Wolfman didn't. I have no regrets and offer no apologies. If someone wants my money earn it.

Regarding 3017'ing soap...I have nothing new. Just excellent shaves from schafmilch. Haslinger has definitely earned my business. :thumbup1:

Top Bottom