What's new

My Guess... 3017

I've been enjoying the PdP for 4 weeks now. Took me more than a few tries to get the lather right though. No fault of the soap, just my unfamiliarity with a new brush I bought in December.
I now understand what the phrases 'holding a ton of water', 'retaining heat well', 'scrubby with a hint of scritch' and 'dense wall of badger' mean.:yesnod:
The scent of PdP is quickly becoming one of my favorites. Muted, refined and on the other end of the spectrum of say...Arko(which I really enjoy too).

And today after 27 shaves and 6 test lathers I've unlocked the secret of this fantastic soap. A 45 second load with a partially shaken out Duke3 produced some very high quality lather. Added just a few more drops of water before using.
$PdPFeb7palmlathered1.jpg$PdPFeb7palmlathered2.jpg

Progress-

$PdPFeb7.jpg

Soap has just dipped below the threads on the tin.

*This is my second badger brush. My first was a Tweezerman bought in February 2013 just before I joined B&B. The Tweezerman has now been officially retired.

Last edited:
Went for a second shave last night before going out. I like using something different for second shaves, so I pulled out the MWF dish with the Valobra Menthol. Very soft soap which the brush quickly picks up, and a slick and creamy lather is easily produced. The menthol is hardly noticeable on the first pass, but I felt it on the second pass and final rinse. I think I like this level of menthol cooling. It'll be a perfect soap as it starts to warm up in early spring.

Week 1 with the Strop Shoppe Apple Cinnamon in the books. No reactions to the cinnamon so we're this will be used to the end. It's 60ml so 3-4 weeks going off my SS Bay Rum 3017. I can feel the lanolin post shave. This time of year it's welcome. Zero complaints so far on performance. Rich, smooth, creamy lather. I loved the regular tallow SS so if that's a 9 this is a 9.5. Totally just personal preference but I don't think this is a scent I'll search out again. It's nice but locks me into Bay Rums for aftershaves (yes I know it's not mandatory to Garanimal my aftershaves -- but I do). My daughter loves it. But it's not my thing. I like the apple but I'm sick of spice and the cinnamon is really forward. Next report when it's done.

I've been hitting Cella for a week or so now. Last time I used Cella I thought it was quite average. Not bad, but not special. I have been using a B&B essential boar. The first 2 or 3 shaves I thought...yup, same as I remembered. Except, the last several shaves have been wonderful. I am starting to wonder if the 3017 approach is helping me with yet another soap I had more or less decided not to return to. This is making me regret PIF'ing the lions share of my brick.

The first few days I tried the Marco method and it seemed like I was getting too much water. I have a whole house water softener so that may be the difference. I played with the product / water ratio adding more product and less water, and this seemed to improve Cellas performance considerably. Basically I load the boar the same way I do with almost every soap. I soak the brush, shake it hard 5 or 6 times to get the excess water out. Load the brush by lightly swirling quickly for about 30 seconds or so. Sprinkle a bit of water on the brush, dampen my face, and face lather. Maybe sprinkle a bit more water on the brush if needed. Bingo....several really excellent shaves from Cella. Not on par with Haslinger, but quite nice. I should mention I have the soap pressed into a largish wooden bowl, about the same diameter as the containers Mikes uses.

I didnt measure the amount of Cella I put in the bowl but it should last me thru Feb. Early March I am joining the Gents for the switch to Spring soaps. Haslinger Coconut is on deck.

Week 1 with the Strop Shoppe Apple Cinnamon in the books. No reactions to the cinnamon so we're this will be used to the end. It's 60ml so 3-4 weeks going off my SS Bay Rum 3017. I can feel the lanolin post shave. This time of year it's welcome. Zero complaints so far on performance. Rich, smooth, creamy lather. I loved the regular tallow SS so if that's a 9 this is a 9.5. Totally just personal preference but I don't think this is a scent I'll search out again. It's nice but locks me into Bay Rums for aftershaves (yes I know it's not mandatory to Garanimal my aftershaves -- but I do). My daughter loves it. But it's not my thing. I like the apple but I'm sick of spice and the cinnamon is really forward. Next report when it's done.
SS is great stuff. I just finished up some Alpine Frost and am currently working on London Morning. After that it's Peppermint, Barbershoppe and Black Tie, all with tallow and double butter. I'm in for a few months of great shaves.

strop

Now half as wise
Starting the second week of the MdC Challenge. I feel like I'm starting to get this soap figured out, but I've yet to experience that "lather explosion" that I've read so much about since joining B&B. At this point I would put it in the good category but not yet great, although the PdP started out as poor and ended up being very enjoyable.

The journey continues.

Finished the RR P160 yesterday (25 shaves). It was an excellent soap. Made a great, fast lather every time. This is one which I will buy again (after I finish the back-up tub I already have).
next up...I think I will try my MdC again. The first time I used it I recived irritation after 5 days and had to stop. Since then I have "Aired it out" a bit, and used it for a single shave now and then. We'll see if I can do it and for how long.

I will update "My 3017 Journey" when I can get on the Mac again (those darn kids and their homework).

proxy.php

Finished my Mike's some 3 days ago, excellent soap! One of my favourites.

And now it's time for some RR XXX to get the 3017 treatment.
proxy.php

The D.R. Harris Marlborough is not long for this world. It's performed admirably and I look forward to the Arlington and Windsor which are waiting to be used. It has broken free from the Pyrex bowl and has become a real pain to load. I'm trying to get it reseated, but if I fail, I'm calling it done and moving on. Almost there guys!

The D.R. Harris Marlborough is not long for this world. It's performed admirably and I look forward to the Arlington and Windsor which are waiting to be used. It has broken free from the Pyrex bowl and has become a real pain to load. I'm trying to get it reseated, but if I fail, I'm calling it done and moving on. Almost there guys!

Good job. I've 3017'd 1 puck of DRH -- Arlington. I have a Windsor waiting in the wings. The final throws go fast. I tried mushing it into a new form, using it as a stick etc. At a point it's time to call it done. Make sure to post pics and final thoughts.

My preview of PdP was nice. It's quite a nice soap though the scent is very light. I look forward to getting back home to finish the Arko and start the PdP full time

Good job. I've 3017'd 1 puck of DRH -- Arlington. I have a Windsor waiting in the wings. The final throws go fast. I tried mushing it into a new form, using it as a stick etc. At a point it's time to call it done. Make sure to post pics and final thoughts.

That was my experience with Arlington as well. The last couple of days were a chase around the bowl. It was a great couple of months.

I've been enjoying the PdP for 4 weeks now. Took me more than a few tries to get the lather right though. No fault of the soap, just my unfamiliarity with a new brush I bought in December.
I now understand what the phrases 'holding a ton of water', 'retaining heat well', 'scrubby with a hint of scritch' and 'dense wall of badger' mean.:yesnod:
The scent of PdP is quickly becoming one of my favorites. Muted, refined and on the other end of the spectrum of say...Arko(which I really enjoy too).

And today after 27 shaves and 6 test lathers I've unlocked the secret of this fantastic soap. A 45 second load with a partially shaken out Duke3 produced some very high quality lather. Added just a few more drops of water before using.

Soap has just dipped below the threads on the tin.

*This is my second badger brush. My first was a Tweezerman bought in February 2013 just before I joined B&B. The Tweezerman has now been officially retired.

Wow...that's a far better lather than I ever got out of PdP. Looks great.

I finished Haslinger Schmilch today. What a great soap the lather was slick and cushion-y with good post shave feel. The only downside to it is the size and the price ratio.

My tally so far.

RR Don Marco - 6/30 - 8/18/2014 (49 shaves)
RR Mudder Focker - 9/01 - 10/20 (49 shaves)
Stirling Tea tree sample - 10/26 - 11/20 (28 shaves)
Van Der Hagen 14 shaves already - 12/09 - 12/30 (33)
Haslinger Schmilch - 1/22 - 2/9/2015 (18)

I finished Haslinger Schmilch today. What a great soap the lather was slick and cushion-y with good post shave feel. The only downside to it is the size and the price ratio.

My tally so far.

RR Don Marco - 6/30 - 8/18/2014 (49 shaves)
RR Mudder Focker - 9/01 - 10/20 (49 shaves)
Stirling Tea tree sample - 10/26 - 11/20 (28 shaves)
Van Der Hagen 14 shaves already - 12/09 - 12/30 (33)
Haslinger Schmilch - 1/22 - 2/9/2015 (18)

You got 28 shaves out of a Stirling sample and 18 shaves out of an entire puck of Haslinger?

You got 28 shaves out of a Stirling sample and 18 shaves out of an entire puck of Haslinger?

Yup the Stirling puck was like 0.7oz bigger which would add at least 10 more shaves. I did bloom the puck of Haslinger and the load times were a little longer. That might have to do alot with it

Top Bottom