What's new

My Guess... 3017

Strop Shoppe Barbershop is still giving me great shaves, effortless lathering in fact. Top notch stuff. About 1/3 left, and I am just starting to get to the "I am bored and want to try a new soap" stage. Not yet to the point that I dread finishing the puck, but almost there. I guess that the effortless lathering helps keeps the boredom at bay.

I'm up to about 1.4g per shave today with the AOS tallow. Feels like it's going to last forever. I'm 28 shaves in and projecting 75 shaves total still.

This is my second go round with PdP. After the first puck, I immediately bought another as it was that good. FF 2y and a bunch of new soaps and a few new favorites, I was worried it wasn't going to live up to how highly I regarded it.

I'm only one shave in, but if the rest are like today's, I'll be a happy man.

PdP is my favorite shaving soap scent and the performance is great. There will always be a puck on deck in my kit.

I've been breaking in my SOC boar for the last three shaves so I've been using different soaps. A little break from XXX never hurt anyone…did it?

Finished my Mike's some 3 days ago, excellent soap! One of my favourites.

And now it's time for some RR XXX to get the 3017 treatment.
proxy.php

Posted this almost 2 months ago and there is still very much left of the soap, i have tried to kill it with my chubby and boar brushes but it won't give up.
I love the scent and the performance is OK but i am starting to get a little bit bored.
Shave every day and have missed approx 7-8 days so the value is incredible!

Last edited:
Brand / Scent / S.E.F. (1 poor - 5 excellent)

Haslinger / Schafmilch / 5
Mikes / Barbershop / 4
Mikes / Rose and Cedarwood / 4
B&M / Fougere Aromatique / 4
Proraso Cream / Blue / 4
Valobra Soft Soap / Almond / 3
Harris Cream / Arlington / 3
RR / Fines American Blend / 3
Proraso Cream / Red / 3
TOBS Cream / Lavender / 3
Cella / 3
Proraso Cream / Green / 2
Institut Karite Cream / regular / 2
Col Conk / Bay Rum / 2
Stirling / SDM / 2
Stirling / Lime / 2
B&M / Nocturne / 1 (allergic reaction)
TOBS Soap "new" / Sandalwood / 1
Williams / regular / 1

Valobra Soft Soap is done, a solid 3. I believe it would have lasted about 10 - 15 more shaves but I was loading it to ridiculous levels with my SOC boar the past several days. Its a good soap. I would give its lather a slight edge over Cella, with RR (new tallow) having a slight edge over both Cella and Valobra. The differences between the 3 brands for me were minimal. All provided months of decent shaves. Yet regardless of loading techniques, soap / h2o ratio, etc, I found myself unable to produce the quality of lather I get from Mikes and Haslinger.

The stash is dwindling. Up next, a soap I have been wanting to try for a long time. Czech & Speake Oxford & Cambridge.

One shave left on KMF. TOBS almond in a tub is up next (son's choice). The TOBS cream has dried to more of a croap consistency in the year that I owned it. One or two uses on it previously.

The stash is dwindling. Up next, a soap I have been wanting to try for a long time. Czech & Speake Oxford & Cambridge.

I have a puck of that in my drawer and was thinking of using it after I kill the half bar of Klar Kabinett which is on deck. I'm curious to hear how you like it once you've got it dialed in. I've read very little about it on the forum (probably due to the cost) but what I have has been very positive.

Very nice. Thanks. Of the ones I've tried, I like your list. Naturally, it makes me excited since I have half a dozen Haslinger's on the way!!!

I like Czech & Speake a lot - have both the 88 and the O&C. The O&C is lavender + some other cologne stuff I can't identify. I like the performance of Czech & Speake a lot. Ideal lathering. I understand that it's a unique formulation made by Valobra for Czech and Speake, but that has nothing to do with it's quality.

Brand / Scent / S.E.F. (1 poor - 5 excellent)

Haslinger / Schafmilch / 5
Mikes / Barbershop / 4
Mikes / Rose and Cedarwood / 4
B&M / Fougere Aromatique / 4
Proraso Cream / Blue / 4
Valobra Soft Soap / Almond / 3
Harris Cream / Arlington / 3
RR / Fines American Blend / 3
Proraso Cream / Red / 3
TOBS Cream / Lavender / 3
Cella / 3
Proraso Cream / Green / 2
Institut Karite Cream / regular / 2
Col Conk / Bay Rum / 2
Stirling / SDM / 2
Stirling / Lime / 2
B&M / Nocturne / 1 (allergic reaction)
TOBS Soap "new" / Sandalwood / 1
Williams / regular / 1

Valobra Soft Soap is done, a solid 3. I believe it would have lasted about 10 - 15 more shaves but I was loading it to ridiculous levels with my SOC boar the past several days. Its a good soap. I would give its lather a slight edge over Cella, with RR (new tallow) having a slight edge over both Cella and Valobra. The differences between the 3 brands for me were minimal. All provided months of decent shaves. Yet regardless of loading techniques, soap / h2o ratio, etc, I found myself unable to produce the quality of lather I get from Mikes and Haslinger.

SWMBO and I are taking my son to his favorite Italian restaurant in St. Paul for an early dinner to celebrate his b-day. Then off to watch the MN Wild play the LA Kings this evening. Just got done with the days shave and am waiting for the others to get ready. Thought I would report in on the first shave with C&S. I dropped the puck in an Ikea Grundthal container instead of my usual ceramic soap dish because I wanted a cover so I can play around with the dampness level of the soap over the next several weeks.

Its my first time using this soap and I have much to learn about it. Initial impression is quite good considering I just had the best shave I've had since the last shave I had with Haslinger.

I'm heading out of town for a couple of days, and will leave MdC behind. I'm trying to decide between a tube of Musgo Real, a shave stick or a different cream.

Edit: I'm going with Wickham Soap Works South Sea Spray cream.

Last edited:
Just finished my Stirling Barbershop sample. 7 shaves at almost 4g per shave and I didn't feel like I was getting that great of lather. It was slick but no volume or real cushion. Next up I am going to go to one of my favorites, Proraso Blue, for a good baseline then will go back to the artisan soaps. I really want to like Stirling as I love their aftershaves and I have 2 other full size pucks but I just don't think it will work for me. I'll revisit those pucks later on and make a final decision.

Soap/CreamScentStartEndMass (g)
Number of ShavesUsage (g/shave)Rating (5 Star total)
ProrasoBlue - Cream03/29/201504/xx/2015
StirlingBarbershop - Soap03/22/201503/28/20152673.7**
Truefitt and HillTrafalgar - Cream03/19/201503/21/2015933***
Truefitt and Hill1805 - Cream03/16/201503/18/2015933**
Los Angeles Shaving Soap CompanyWoody Lavender - Soap03/13/201503/15/2015531.67**

- Ratings
* Unusable performance. Poor shave. Struggle to finish shave. Will not restock.
** Average performance. Will not restock.
*** Good performance. Will possibly restock.
**** Great performance. Will restock.
***** Amazing performance. Top product and a favorite. Will definitely restock.

- Brush
All shaves done with a synthetic brush. Generally the brush is an Edwin Jagger STF Size XL or Plisson Synthetic.

Modest C&E medium best badger with the second pass of Valobra Menthol with a drop of lavender EO loaded. Not in the excellent category, but certainly a good soap. The EO will allow me to mix it up a bit.

Top Bottom