What's new

My Guess... 3017

I was living out there for a few years and returned to Boston last summer, sadly. The shop i bought it from i believe it cost about 6 euros but that's the luxury of being able to actually check out a product before you buy it. I only found it in 1 store in the city i was living in.
Ah, I see. At that price seems like the available vendors are probably just as good since you'd have to ship it to others anyway.

Just as well, I'm in the -til Summer restraint anyway, I wouldn't be able to participate.

Hi Jeremy- not 100% sure, but it was roughly 70 shaves. A most pleasant surprise!

Given the price, lather quality/shave and size...I'll be happy with anything over 30 :biggrin1:

I did make a discovery with it today, it does not like heat and breaks down. Luckily I discovered that while I was lathering and not between passes. The runoff in my scuttle was broken down and evaporated before I was done lathering for pass 1.

30 sec or so of lathering, not using runoff was enough (and more) for my 3 passes.

Last edited:
First shave [of the 3017 phase] with Tabac today. As you can see from the picture, it is almost gone but it will still probably last me 2+ months. This puck has been in the den / rotation for probably close to 3 years.

Finished this off yesterday with a total of 26 shaves from when I started back on 2/17/2014. It does feel good to actually accomplish something, and now I can move on to a sample I received as a PIF (from chinacats). Will take a picture and see how many shaves it lasts.

Just came across this thread yesterday and have spent way too much time reading it. I am inspired and ready for the challenge. I want to take control of this budding shaving soap obsession/hoarding. I have a puck of VDH luxury that I just started. I wish it was a better soap to start with, but we'll get along fine. I mashed it down onto the last little bit of a sample of Stirling's Scots Pine. It should be an interesting mix when I get to the bottom. Then I'll finish up the tub of Proraso green, the first tub I bought.

Just came across this thread yesterday and have spent way too much time reading it. I am inspired and ready for the challenge. I want to take control of this budding shaving soap obsession/hoarding. I have a puck of VDH luxury that I just started. I wish it was a better soap to start with, but we'll get along fine. I mashed it down onto the last little bit of a sample of Stirling's Scots Pine. It should be an interesting mix when I get to the bottom. Then I'll finish up the tub of Proraso green, the first tub I bought.
Sounds very ambitious, I hope it goes well for you.

I can tell you it was difficult for me to stay through a Stirling sample sized puck, around 20 shaves. Of course everyone is different and there's a big sense of satisfaction after finishing something as disciplined as this.

D.R. Harris Marlborough - Shave #72

Thursday Evening

Prep:
Shower / Baxter of California Daily Face Wash
Razor: Merkur Mergress Short Handle
Blade: Gillette Silver Blue
Brush: Semogue 2013 Barbear Classico Mistura LE
Soap: D.R. Harris Marlborough
Aftershave: Guerlain Habit Rouge AS Lotion / AOS Unscented AS Balm
Pomade of the Day: JS Sloane Lightweight
Cologne of the Evening: Guerlain Habit Rouge EDT

Ben

I have also noticed that it is true about getting to know the soap's details really well when not rotating from it. I have switched soaps so frequently that I often forget the technique for each soap and have to relearn it. The VDH's smell is actually starting to open up and growing on me a bit, and I got a decent lather this morning. I doubt I will go back to VDH after this, though. The upside to 3017 is that forking out more money for a great soap becomes economical because you are spending less per shave.

11 shaves on the RazoRock KotC Lavender. The argan oil soaps are a pleasure to use. It is very easy to make a thick,creamy lather no matter what brush You use.
My Italian soft soap journey continues.

I had my 26th shave with the Haslinger Last night. Loading at my current rate with the 22mm TGN Best, I'd guess that I have 10-15 shaves left. Unfortunately, I realized last night, I'm loading WAY too much. It takes forever to get the lather wet enough for a comfortable straight shave. I'm gonna try loading less tonight, and see if that makes a difference. So maybe I have 20 shaves left. :scared:

11 shaves on the RazoRock KotC Lavender. The argan oil soaps are a pleasure to use. It is very easy to make a thick,creamy lather no matter what brush You use.
My Italian soft soap journey continues.

Good to know. I have a few of the Argan Oil RR soaps to use up this year and look forward to them.

I had my 26th shave with the Haslinger Last night. Loading at my current rate with the 22mm TGN Best, I'd guess that I have 10-15 shaves left. Unfortunately, I realized last night, I'm loading WAY too much. It takes forever to get the lather wet enough for a comfortable straight shave. I'm gonna try loading less tonight, and see if that makes a difference. So maybe I have 20 shaves left. :scared:

It does seem to load quite easily. The last hard puck I used (Harris) was the opposite, so it's hard to only load for 10-15 sec and realize you have enough product.

I usually load until it looks ready, but it's hard to stop after a short time and be confident that I'll have enough for 3 passes....but there is.

Only day 3 or so with mine, but am impressed with the ease and quality of the lather.

It does seem to load quite easily. The last hard puck I used (Harris) was the opposite, so it's hard to only load for 10-15 sec and realize you have enough product.

I usually load until it looks ready, but it's hard to stop after a short time and be confident that I'll have enough for 3 passes....but there is.

Only day 3 or so with mine, but am impressed with the ease and quality of the lather.

I think that's one of the magical things about this soap. It loads so easily and effortlessly, yet it just keeps going and going and going and going and going...

I paid $9.00 for this puck. With 26 shaves on it so far, that's $0.35 per shave. Assuming I only get 10 more shaves, that becomes $0.25 per shave. Not too shabby... Although it's not Tabac Stick territory ($0.09 per shave according to the "How Many Shaves To the Bottom of a Shave Stick" thread).

Haslinger 20sec or so of loading, then face lathered...pics below:

Lathered on puck:

$uploadfromtaptalk1397833760965.jpg

After pass 1:
$uploadfromtaptalk1397833793302.jpg

After pass 2:
$uploadfromtaptalk1397833803832.jpg

After pass 3:
$uploadfromtaptalk1397833810582.jpg

Last edited:
$50-$60, may or may not include shipping.

I think it is up to $60-70 with shipping, as the jars went from 170-200g (at least on paper).

He may have been asking how long they last...but since I stopped after 4 days, I am no help to answer.

Top Bottom