What's new

My Guess... 3017

That's about 3.33 g per shave. Can't say I've seen tabac need that much loading, but there plenty of guys here that have loaded that much soap for others.

For a hard, triple milled soap, something is off. I can't see anyone loading or needing that much....not even SpaceBoy.

If the shaves were great, then it's worth it.

I don't believe in a shave brush exfoliating or lifting the hair either.

Last edited:
It does seem a lot with 3.33g of Tabac per shave, but if you look at my signature you can see I shave my head as well. That alone means I use a lot more soap than some. Also the puck had become soft and I used my big brushes most of the time.

As a fellow headshaver, I can attest it uses lots more soap. Not so good when using a favorite like Tabac, it's a lifesaver when bored with a good but not stellar soap.

Since I'm almost two weeks into using Deluxe Shaving's Midnight Garden, I thought I'd give you guys a report. This is marketed as a shaving cream but it's more like a croap. The base is really a good performer and the post-shave face feel is good. Tabac and Haslinger have a better face feel but not by much. Cushion, glide, and slickness are all top-notch.

I appear to be going through it quickly. It's soft so I think I'm loading too much - I certainly have a big brush full when I'm done with three passes. I'm working on hitting the right load time. I haven't been too worried about it as I just really don't like this particular scent. It's too sweet and too busy for me.

I got two other tubs from them last year and I will be using them up later this year - Soul Man and Rosemary Woods. Both of them smell lots better to me. I just wanted to use up the less attractive one first - old procrastination-killing trick I use.

If anyone has tried one of their soaps, I would love to hear about it.

My average with Tabac was 1.6g per shave, so double that would be 3.2g, same ballpark.

Do you lather up twice when you shave your head?

My average with Tabac was 1.6g per shave, so double that would be 3.2g, same ballpark.

Do you lather up twice when you shave your head?

Can't speak for #BaldSwede but I lather my dome up twice every time I shave it. I usually head shave every other day but occasionally let it go a day or two longer.

After struggling with PannaCrema I have switched over to Mike's Orange/Cedarwood/Black Pepper. So far so good. I don't know what makes the soaps that I like different, but they don't foam up when I lather them. After just a couple of shaves, Mike's is lining up pretty well with my upper tier soaps including i Coloniali, Mystic Water, Stirling, and Barrister and Mann.

After struggling with PannaCrema I have switched over to Mike's Orange/Cedarwood/Black Pepper. So far so good. I don't know what makes the soaps that I like different, but they don't foam up when I lather them. After just a couple of shaves, Mike's is lining up pretty well with my upper tier soaps including i Coloniali, Mystic Water, Stirling, and Barrister and Mann.

Having used CRSW V2 the past couple days, I think it is tying I Coloniali as my favorite. The lather is instantly creamy and it is ultra conditioning.

Only about 2 weeks in and I have failed.... Or maybe it was just a false start. I began with a tallow AoS lavender puck on May 12, and in spite of a weeks worth of great shaves, the longevity of this soap and realization I may not be able to replace it caused a panic attack. If this is as good as it gets maybe I shouldn't use it up so soon?? Yes, I am crazy in this way.
I glanced over my pile of soap and decided to put the AoS on hold to see if I could thin out the herd by taking down some easier marks. I tabulated the contents of my soap shelf and thought clutter reduction is priority 1.

MW Bay Rum had some use already so I set my sights on the bottom of the tub. I admit to a few extra lathers trying to figure this soap out but I am no more than 1 or 2 shaves away from the end of my second ever puck/tub of shaving product. I have some work ahead of me but I am already reaping the rewards of this philosophy, finally getting some consistency in lathering MW soap, something which has eluded me so far. Don't know what is up next yet but Memorial Day is going to be D-day for some unsuspecting soap. The assault on my soap stockpile continues.

Prorasso Green
Cella
MWF
TOB grapefruit
Synergy the beach (8oz)
Synergy Cavendish (4oz)
Tiki Salty Air
Tiki Spice Islands
Tiki Surfs Up
Trumpers Coconut Oil Shave Cream
Pre de Provence
Penhaligon's Sartorial
AoS Lavender (tallow)
AoS Sandalwood (tallow)
PS Green Tea
MLS The Kraken
MW Bay Rum
MW Coconut Lime Verbena
MW Maestrale
MW Poggio dei Pini
Chiseled Face Summer Storm
Chiseled Face Ghost Town Barber
Mike’s Natural Lavender
Tim’s soaps Roots
Shannon Soap Black Magic
Strop Shoppe Bay Rum
Beer Soap Brewing Anise
CB Ocean Grove
CB Le Marche du Rasage
CB Glace Herbe
Stirling Ozark Mt
PPF Back Tea
New Williams (3)
B&M Nocturne
Mama Bear Lime
Simpons unscented cream

I am still loving Cella. Today was shave 15 since I started 3017ing the puck for a total of 16 shaves on it.

If this is just an average soap, I am really looking forward to some of the better soaps in my stash like Tabac, MWF, and Haslinger.

[MENTION=81828]sgemmett[/MENTION]: A sad reality of the wet shaving life is that sooner or later, something you love will no longer be made. Usually it's soap or a cream, but it could be a certain DE blade you just can't live without, or you might drop your favorite vintage razor and break it, and so on. I was crushed when I learned that Palmolive Lather in the plastic tube was discontinued. How would I ever be able to shave without it??????? I used to be able to go to Walgreens and get a tube for three bucks anytime I wanted to! Well, I still shave just well, I found other products that work just as good or better, and life goes on. Use up your AOS puck, and enjoy it while you have it.
As for your rather large stockpile, there are a few methods you can use if you want to 3017. Some use up the partial pucks and tubes first, or alphabetical order, I put my stock on a list, ran it through random.org, and that's how I use up my stash. 3017 is long term thinking, how to get the best of whatever soap you are using now.

As for your rather large stockpile, there are a few methods you can use if you want to 3017. Some use up the partial pucks and tubes first, or alphabetical order, I put my stock on a list, ran it through random.org, and that's how I use up my stash. 3017 is long term thinking, how to get the best of whatever soap you are using now.

I've always liked the "use up the partials first" mentality. You get through a big chunk in the fastest way possible. Nothing helps set the 3017 habit like some momentum.

I've always liked the "use up the partials first" mentality. You get through a big chunk in the fastest way possible. Nothing helps set the 3017 habit like some momentum.
That would be my suggestion too.

The only partial I have left now is La Toja in wood bowl and some SnS.

Top Bottom