What's new

My Guess... 3017

Between the shave soaps and shampoo bars, I bet you 3017 your toothpaste, too. :thumbup1:

LOL, yes toothpaste is always a 3017 item. No artisan toothpaste rotation. The shampoo bars and bar soap are completed and haven't been replaced. Fun but not missing many of the wackier scents.

The first shave with B&M Lavanille was good this morning. A big, bold complex scent along with vaguely tan lather. Got s very close shave without really trying.

Last edited:
I 3017'd two containers of conditioner this week (for some reason I had an almost empty one in the cabinet) and have almost finished a bar of Irish Spring.

Almost done with my 30g sample of Cella from the brick - probably one shave left.
I did manage to complete a 3017 of a tube of toothpaste this morning! :)

It struck me this morning how small a dent I've put in the Violet soap this morning.... I am loading this one like I hate it.

Have you considered using a brush with more backbone?
$B&B.jpg

Still working to kill Valobra by the end of the month, but the ring of doom is lasting and lasting. I'm soaking the puck for a couple days to see if I can smoosh it to really get some quality loading going.

I finished Apollo pharmacy earlier this month and have been using Gillette menthol ever since. My last 15 shaves have been super lathered using either a Palmolive stick or godrej round. Very good shaves but not great so far. I think superlathering prolongs the life of both the cream and soap used coz I've hardly made a dent in either.

The first shave with B&M Lavanille was good this morning. A big, bold complex scent along with vaguely tan lather. Got s very close shave without really trying.

Shave #2 was also excellent. Barrister and Mann is the real deal. After trying and pruning away most of my artisan soaps over the last couple of years, this is one that may make the cut.

Haslinger Schafmilch will not survive the weekend. That's 2 pucks in a row of schafmilch retired. It was a winter of excellent shaves. Up next, Haslinger Aloe.

Shaved with Stirling Port au Prince today to prove a point and was reminded of how good Stirling is. Only problem was that after the shave my face was bright red due to a reaction to something in the soap. No burning, but I'm glad I just picked up a sample. Worst part is that the scent is phenomenal. A really nice blend of lemongrass and vetiver.

Probably going to try and smoosh the Valobra tonight and if it is still too hard, I'm going to shave with MW Marrakech to prove that it isn't hard to lather. I've never used MW.

I thought I had one more shave left from the Cella, but looking at the remnants there wasn't really enough there to make a good lather. So I called it, I'll put the remnants in a bits and pieces container to make a frankensoap later. I got 20 shaves out of the 30g sample - 1.5g/shave.

I started using a 2oz sample of Dr Jon's Anne Bonny soap this morning. Nice scent, but I had to reload for a third pass. That's most likely due to loading for a shorter period than I normally do based on reviews I've read on the soap. Tomorrow I'll load it longer and see how it goes. The post-shave feel is definitely lacking after solely using tallow based soaps for the past 7 months. My face feels good, but a bit dry.

Don't get too attached to it.

Based on her discussion on another forum, there are people's testing new formulas right now.

I had read that. Natural chelating ingredients.

Kind of a bummer that the recipe is changing since everything I hear is that her soap is fantastic already. I personally don't believe that water hardness matters in most cases. Sometimes you have to load more and sometimes less, adapt. If I was a betting man, I think it is mostly people not adapting to the soap and loading or adding water in the right proportions (e.g. the load for 30 secs or 100 swirls type of crowd that never changes their routine) or looking for the same type of lather from every soap. Sometimes a thinner, soupier lather is what the soap excels at. Sometimes it's a thicker, creamier lather.

Adding a chelating agent may improve the soap, but it does have the risk of decreasing the performance. I'd rather it stay the same.

I had read that. Natural chelating ingredients.

Kind of a bummer that the recipe is changing since everything I hear is that her soap is fantastic already. I personally don't believe that water hardness matters in most cases. Sometimes you have to load more and sometimes less, adapt. If I was a betting man, I think it is mostly people not adapting to the soap and loading or adding water in the right proportions (e.g. the load for 30 secs or 100 swirls type of crowd that never changes their routine) or looking for the same type of lather from every soap. Sometimes a thinner, soupier lather is what the soap excels at. Sometimes it's a thicker, creamier lather.

Adding a chelating agent may improve the soap, but it does have the risk of decreasing the performance. I'd rather it stay the same.

I 100% agree!

I stand by my statement after using MW this morning. This was a sample of Marrakech from [MENTION=67261]Parjay[/MENTION] and it was a truly wonderful, drama free shave. The soap seems to take a fair amount of water if added slowly. The post shave is phenomenal.

I know what you mean. Still, she has demonstrated top-notch skills as a soap maker so I'm willing to assume she knows what she's doing and won't release a new formulation unless it's also a winner. Time will tell.

There's enough chatter in the forums that MW is difficult in hard water so I get why she'd want to respond to that.

Top Bottom