What's new

My Guess... 3017

strop

Now half as wise
Great shaves with the grated LaToja stick. Much better than I got when trying to use it as a stick. I was never able to load enough or get enough out of the brush that way. So far using about 1.1 g/day. This is a little more than the hard soap usage for me, butstill not as much as I see some people needing to use. Thank goodness for soft water! I should get most of way thru April with this bowl.

Still got a decent lather out of the remaining bits of the Arlington puck this morning. Not sure how many more shaves I can squeeze out of it, but my first 3017 puck is almost done! Yippee!

I say those bits of soap are casualties of a well-loved product. I'd wash them down the drain and move on.
[MENTION=58407]Jarick[/MENTION] - Yeah, I think I'm going to move onto my next 3017 candidate tomorrow morning. Once I determine what that is :). One soap down, about 15 to go!

How many shaves did the Arlington last? I ask because I currently have 120 on my Marlborough and and wondering how long it will last.

Ruckin.

I've been using my Saponificio Varesino 70th Anniversary Shaving Soap for about a week now. It's a veggie soap and I normally prefer tallow based. That said, it makes really amazing thick lovely lather. I'm getting what feels like close to BBS shaves but the 24 hour growth is more than I'm used to with my favorite tallow soaps.

Experimenting with different brushes, this one does best for me with my synths, followed by boar, and then badger. If I were starting over, I could stick with a couple of synths and be very happy.

Still plugging along with Institut Karité. It has been in near daily use since early November. Performance is very good. Scent is okay. Ready to move on but still have probably 25% left between a bit in a DRH bowl and a half inch in a shave stick. The loading has been extravagantly heavy for the past couple of months but the puck is still stretching much longer than expected.

Back to Proraso today. Used more product, had an incredibly thick and creamy lather, a great shave, and very dry skin afterwards. So maybe it's just not the soap. Finished up with a heavy coat of face lotion, which I don't really like much but is necessary. Waiting for Spring...

I'll stick with Arko then. Guessing I'll get into May with this "puck".

End of 2015 I grated 2 pucks of schafmilch together. I lost track but have roughly 75 shaves on them. I keep repositioning whats left in the container, and am surprised each time by how much is left. Its been a great few months of shaving. Once I settle on a few favorite scents of Haslinger I might continue with the practice of combining 2 pucks.

I've knocked off the first puck in my 3017 quest. Yesterday I finished up the DR Harris Arlington soap that I started back on 10/14/15. I didn't shave everyday, but got 116 shaves out of it. Starting weight was 108g the first time I weighed it after already completing a couple of shaves, so I'll say 110g starting weight. 110/116 = 0.94/g shave average.

For my second soap I will be going with something smaller than a full puck of triple milled soap. I'm now switching to a 30g sample of Cella from the brick that Mostho PIFfed me a while back. As I've already used it five times previously it should last about a month, probably less, and then I'll be able to select my next victim...er, candidate :).

Thanks for the support and information on this thread - I now feel like I've accomplished something!

My puck of Marlborough had an weight when I opened it for the first time of 115g for the puck and 184g for the puck and bowl (no lid). At 121 shaves so far I guess I am not loading like I hate it. I normally load for about 15 seconds and seem to have plenty of lather to wash down the sink when I am done with my 2.5 passes. Maybe I should upgrade my brush from the lowly Simpson 55 and find a lather hog. :001_rolle

Ruckin.

My puck of Marlborough had an weight when I opened it for the first time of 115g for the puck and 184g for the puck and bowl (no lid). At 121 shaves so far I guess I am not loading like I hate it. I normally load for about 15 seconds and seem to have plenty of lather to wash down the sink when I am done with my 2.5 passes. Maybe I should upgrade my brush from the lowly Simpson 55 and find a lather hog. :001_rolle

Ruckin.

When using the Arlington I normally loaded for 60 seconds. That would give me enough for my three passes, and a some for touchups if needed. I typically wash some out of the brush when I'm finished. So yeah, it doesn't sound like you hate it :001_smile.

Still chugging along with the SMdF. If my calculations are correct I have about 35 more shaves with it. Great soap in every respect.

Next week I'll be putting it on hold though. Masters week will be dedicated to SCS Fairway and the matching AS splash. A tradition unlike any other...[emoji1303]

Top Bottom