What's new

My Guess... 3017

Here's my setup for the next few months.

View attachment 502216

Been waiting to try this one. Even though the scent of Don Marco is so intoxicating I couldn't resist the lavender and the ingredients list. Shave number 1 this morning was pretty nice. Will see if I can dial in some more slickness.

I may actually take a break to grow a beard when our third child is born in a couple weeks. Something I've always wanted to do. Of course I'll still have to keep my neck and cheeks cleaned up but this soap may last a long time.

Is that the Walmart salsa bowl? Did you add the texture yourself?

This morning marks shave number 28 for my tub of Prorasso green (I think it will last all of October). This is the third soap I have used (new to wet shaving) and was the first one I was able to finally make the super thick lather that I see posted on this site. I don't know how much of this is the soap or I am finally learning how to lather. I am enjoying this soap quite but as I have 20+ soaps waiting to be tried it will be awhile before I will get back to it (but I will definitely get more when I eventually get around to restocking)

I used some XXX soap for the start of RazoRocktober today, but starting tomorrow I will continue the 3017 with my tub of Catie's Bubbles - La Terra Verte. Great soap with a nice clean scent.

Art of Shaving Sandalwood (40%) 8/12/13 - 9/1/13
DR Harris Windsor sample 9/2/13 - 9/19/13
Coates Sandalwood 50ml 9/20/13 - 10/4/13
RazoRock XX tub 10/5/13 - 10/31/13
SCS Mochaccino 11/15/13 - 12/13/13
Barrister & Mann Cheshire (60%?) 1/1/14 - 1/17/14
samples 1/18/14 - 1/31/14
Barbiere di Figaro Esclusivo 2/1/14 - 3/19/14
samples 3/20/14 - 3/31/14
Mama Bear Dublin Tweed 4/1/14 - 6/13/14
Dapper Dragon Ice Wyrm 7/1/14 - 9/20/14
Catie's Bubbles La Terra Verte 10/2/14 - ???

October 1st update:
05-29-2014 to 06-29-2014: Mikes Barbershop
06-30-2014 to Present: Mitchell's Wool Fat
The Fat looks like it has another 2 weeks or so in it. I posted a pic a few days ago of what's left.
I can't believe how long this soap lasts.

My puck of The Fat broke apart today, it is getting very thin. I had to smoosh it together, 4 pieces when I got it out of the bowl. One lump later, I pressed it into the bottom of my bowl. Lost a bit from my fingers when I washed them off, I didn't even think about rubbing my fingers on my face until now. Oh well.

October 1st update:
05-29-2014 to 06-29-2014: Mikes Barbershop
06-30-2014 to Present: Mitchell's Wool Fat
The Fat looks like it has another 2 weeks or so in it. I posted a pic a few days ago of what's left.
I can't believe how long this soap lasts.

It looks like you slid from Mikes right into MWF. Would you mind sharing your experience on how the 2 compare? I am a big fan of both but I haven't given them the 3017 treatment back 2 back.

What did you use? Guessing something like a wood burner? Maybe I could find something that would screw into my soldering iron.

Very clever!
My guess would be a drill. You can use a piece of plastic tubing over the bit to limit the depth of the dimple and keep from drilling a hole through the bowl.

What did you use? Guessing something like a wood burner? Maybe I could find something that would screw into my soldering iron.

Very clever!

It was a drill actually. There's a thread about the bowl and others have used a soldering iron.

The one I saw gave a much smaller texture and would probably be faster and work better at aerating the lather.

It looks like you slid from Mikes right into MWF. Would you mind sharing your experience on how the 2 compare? I am a big fan of both but I haven't given them the 3017 treatment back 2 back.

Mikes is easier to lather than The Fat. I drop a sopping wet brush onto the puck, and swirl away. In no time, I get mounds of great lather. The Fat, for me, requires a pretty dry brush, swirl for a while to get proto-lather, then slowly add a few drops, swirling some more, maybe a few more drops, to get good lather. Or, smear the proto-lather on my face, re-load my brush some more, re-apply to face, and then start adding a few drops to my brush, and work the lather up on my face.
Both have very pleasant aromas to me. Both give great shaves. If I had to pick only one, it would be Mikes. The Fat is way more economical, but the relatively small cost of shaving soap that you truly enjoy is priceless. The only downside to Mikes is that the availability can be a pain at times.

Your lathering techniques for both soaps are similar to mine. Both are great soaps....top shelf for me along with Haslinger. I live in a cold climate and MWF and Mikes are wonderful in the winter. This winter I am going to 3017 a puck of Schafmilch and will probably follow it up with a tin of Mikes. I haven't used MWF in a while and have a puck that I think I will grind and press into a stick form and give it the 3017 treatment. It will be interesting to see how long a stick of MWF lasts compared to puck form.
Have a good day Gents. Cheers!

5 shaves in to my CF Lavender and it's been nothing short of amazing. I find it hard to judge how much to load, but a quick check shows about 2.5g per shave. It's slick, creamy, thick and just they way I like it.

With that said, I hope to get 45 days out of my 120g...any more will be bonus, any less I'm not concerned.

The sad thing is, I have been comparing it to the Proraso Blue for $8/tub. To me, it doesn't offer anything that one doesn't, besides a different scent that comes at a much higher price. :001_rolle

Got a new Omega 10098 in the mail today. I used The Fat to do a few test lathers/defunking. It's getting smaller, smaller. Maybe a week, 10 days, 2 weeks tops. But then again, The Fat seems to last forever.

I finished up a puck of DR Harris Windsor on Sept. 30. Started it back in... January? As part of the DR Harris challenge. I've only been shaving every other day this year, which accounts for the length of time. No reason other than laziness.

Just had my first shave this morning with a new bowl of Omega croap. Got some irritation too - it has been so long since I used anything other than the DR Harris, my technique has gone bad. The Harris is so forgiving I could just whack away at my face and not worry about it. This Omega croap is going to take more care.

strop

Now half as wise
Taking a break from the PdP to joint the Punkin brigade with Brian. I am not a fan of Pumppkin, but this soap almost seems to lather itself, which makes it tolerable. I only have a sample to get thru, but am definititly going to be adding SCS to my soap stable.

Top Bottom