What's new

My Guess... 3017

Thanks for taking us on this journey, Bob. I just had another 3017 success that I attribute to you. Took me over 50 shaves to really dial in my current soap. I would have quit on it after a few shaves if not for 3017. Cheers to you my man!

Last edited:
D.R. Harris Marlborough - Shave #51

Thursday Evening

Prep:
Shower / Baxter of California Facial Scrub
Razor: 2013 Above the Tie Kronos M2 Open Comb
Blade: Gillette Platinum
Brush: Kent BK8 Silvertip Badger
Soap: D.R. Harris Marlborough
Aftershave: Proraso Dopobarba / Calani Tulach Ard AS Balsam
Cologne of the Day: Tom Ford Extreme

Ben

D.R. Harris Marlborough - Shave #52

Friday Evening

Prep:
Baxter of California Daily Face Wash / warm water
Razor: 1917 Gillette Old Type OC Flare/Bell Knob Aristocrat
Brush: Shavemac Custom "Snow White" 167 Silvertip D01 Badger
Aftershave: D.R. Harris Marlborough AS Lotion / Scottish Fine Soaps Classic Male Grooming AS Balm
Cologne of the Day: Scottish Fine Soaps Classic Male Grooming EDT

Ben

Howdy 3017'ers. Think I'm going to try my hand in your group if I'm welcome. I just finished the Harris 3017 adventure. It was my first foray into the 3017 lifestyle and it really changed how I'm going to use stuff in the future. I have more crap than I could use in 5 years so maybe this will help keep me in check a little better.

First up is going to be a month (April) of samples starting with 7 B&M samples.

2/1/2014-3/28/2014 Harris Arlington (replaced)
3/29/2014-????? B&M Samples

What the .... I wasn't allowed to join in until what's his named was banned for calling the Mods, Merit Award Winners, and the Pope a bunch of yellow-bellied sapsuckers.

I hit the big "50" on my tub of AoS Sandalwood. My tub weighs in at 179g meaning I have burned 74g of product for these 50 wonderful shaves. Further math yields ~49 more shaves from this tub till empty.

A nice side benefit of the 3017 methodology is that it eliminates a significant variable when testing out hardware. Right now, I am blade sampling to determine my next 100-blade purchase.

38 uses into my tube of Proraso Blue and still looks to have 20-25 shaves left...but it's hard to tell. I'd be happy with 45 for the tube.

My plan is to used it until I need to pull out the "tube key", squeeze it all out, then cut it open to see how much is lost in a discarded tube.

Every shave has been fantastic with this stuff.

$uploadfromtaptalk1396117173652.jpg

Last edited:
D.R. Harris Marlborough - Shave # 53

Saturday Afternoon

Prep:
Baxter of California Daily Face Wash / warm water
Razor: Gillette New Short OC w/ Common Bar Handle
Brush: Simpson Duke 3 LE Two Band Super Badger w/ Faux Jade Handle
Aftershave: Provence Sante Green Tea AS Lotion / Calani Earl Grey AS Balsam
Cologne of the Day: Creed Silver Mountain Water

Ben

I'm 63 shaves into my MdC jar. 130g are gone for an average of almost 2.1g per shave.

This jar is going a lot faster than I thought it would when I started. The shaves have been fabulous.

$IMG_1469.jpg

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"

vvThis jar is going a lot faster than I thought it would when I started. The shaves have been fabulous.

View attachment 430448

No doubt. I posted that first pic on 3/27 and it is gone. Unlike many triple-milled soaps that remain solid near the end, the MdC turned almost cream-like and became very soft. After each use, there was a very noticeable amount of soap gone. Although I do wet the soap before each use, I turn the container upside down after each use so as to let the excess water drain out.

Nevertheless, the MdC is gone. Will it be replaced? I really don't know. It is an excellent soap but I don't know if I would really go out of my way to obtain it again.

If I was relegated to using DR Harris soap for the rest of my life, I guess I could deal with that. There, I've said it. :biggrin:

Last edited by a moderator:
No doubt. I posted that first pic on 3/27 and it is gone. Unlike many triple-milled soaps that remain solid near the end, the MdC turned almost cream-like and became very soft. After each use, there was a very noticeable amount of soap gone. Although I do wet the soap before each use, I turn the container upside down after each use so as to let the excess water drain out.

Nevertheless, the MdC is gone. Will it be replaced? I really don't know. It is an excellent soap but I don't know if I would really go out of my way to obtain it again.

If I was relegated to using DR Harris soap for the rest of my life, I guess I could deal with that. There, I've said it. :biggrin:

I've found the same thing about the MdC softening, Bob. When I first started the MdC, the soap was very hard and I was using only about 1g per shave. It has gotten softer and softer as I go along, even when I leave the top off for it to dry out. I must be using like 3g per shave now.

I really like MdC, but there are too many other great soaps that perform just as well and are cheaper and easier to get for me to replace it. At least that's my judgment right now. I still have about 3-4 weeks left I estimate.

I broke through the bottom of my puck of Stirling Scots Pine this morning. Less than a week to go. Time to select my next victims. I think my two half-blocks of Pannacrema are going to be them.

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
I am two months into my Arlington with daily shaves, plus there are two extra, bonus shaves thrown in there as well. So far I have only a dent in the center of the puck, but that's about it. No hole, just an indentation. I am thinking that I will have another two months of some very nicely scented shaves from my Harris, and I have no problem with that whatsoever. :thumbup1:

Top Bottom