What's new

My Guess... 3017

My wife is out of town so I took a break from the Muhle Sea Buckthorn with 'Twelve Days of Tabac' as she likes the scent or lack of scent of the MSB better. Sacrifices, sacrifices, sacrifices.

I'll have to get a group picture of my soaps tonight.

The Cella smells very close to the Stirling Almond Creme. I'm not a big almond guy but it's not bad.

MWF doesn't really have a smell, just like soap.

Tabac was surprising. It is a bit musky, but it's also powdery and not as strong as I expected.

Arlington was also surprising. It's floral, sweet, and clean with a hint of a cologne smell. Milder than I expected but just a bit complex.

I might have a couple shaves left on my Stirling Almond Creme sample, and then I'll have to pick a new soap. MWF makes the most sense considering it's January and I'm in Minnesota. Then Arlington for the Spring? I'll probably do the citrus and eucalyptus soaps and creams in the summer. Maybe Cella late summer into fall, and Tabac to go from fall into winter? And mix in some samples here and there.

Mike's Samples:
- Lavandin & Eucalyptus
- Orange, Cedarwood & Black Pepper

Stirling Samples:
- Lemony Orange
- Bonaparte
- Barbershop
- Tuscany
- Lime
- Sharp Dressed Man
- Sandalwood
- Naked & Smooth

Creams:
- Coate's Superior Lime
- CO Bigelow (20% left)
- Art of Shaving sample

Soaps:
- Omega (half full)
- Cella
- DR Harris Arlington
- Mitchell's Wool Fat
- Tabac
- Palmolive (stick)
- Williams

My Barrister & Mann soap is down to a ring and probably has a week left. I have a jar of MdC Fougere in reserve too. I'm still wondering if I want to join this challenge as well, I wasn't planning on giving the MdC "the treatment" until much later on down the line.

I've added Synergy Cavendish to my Proraso Red to create a pretty awesome super lather. The butters in the Synergy combined with the Shea in the Proraso leave my face feeling wonderful. The scent of the Proraso does overpower the cavendish a bit but I can still pick out notes. This combo will continue until the Proraso is finished.

Day 4 of Musgo Real. Took a sharper blade on two passes and performance was outstanding. Time to play around with this stuff. I have to try with a feather and than the ole unreliable Merkur blades. Plus going to try one of my more aggressive razors. This is proving to be quite an enjoyable time. Face is left conditioned. If it passes all the tests I believe I have found my ultimate travel cream. Able to perform under the worst of conditions. I am just really waiting for the hack job the Merkurs could do to my face.

Either way is fine with me, but it seems in the spirit of 3017 to finish our current product first. :001_smile

I'd say start when you finish whatever you are on. Some will be starting new tubs, some will be 200g, some will be 170g, some will be partial.

Then I went and saw the thread on 3017ing D.R. Harris as a group...but I had committed to MdC prior to seeing that, so MdC it will be for me.

Maybe my MdC will only last me 2 monthsn and I can jump in the D.R. Harris one too :w00t:

Maybe my MdC will only last me 2 monthsn and I can jump in the D.R. Harris one too :w00t:

Either you love some MdC lather or you don't have much left lol. I only have the little domino container of it, and I have barely put a dent in it over the last few months. I love that stuff!

My Barrister & Mann soap is down to a ring and probably has a week left. I have a jar of MdC Fougere in reserve too. I'm still wondering if I want to join this challenge as well, I wasn't planning on giving the MdC "the treatment" until much later on down the line.

Hey John - How many shaves have you gotten so far on your B&M puck / How many do you think you will finish at?

Hey John - How many shaves have you gotten so far on your B&M puck / How many do you think you will finish at?

It's hard to say for certain, I had already used the puck a fair number of times before starting the 3017 process on it. I think it was around 50 to 60% remaining on Jan 1st. So I have 14 shaves on it since starting, I'm thinking it will probably go to 20. So I guess ballpark figure 40ish shaves total? I've been loading it pretty heavily though (and the resulting lather has been terrific, I don't regret the high usage).

I have two other pucks (Seville and Solstice) that will be at 100% when I start 3017ing them, so I can probably get a more accurate number.

I'm guessing my MdC numbers will be about 1g per shave and that's not holding back.

Others have said it lasts years, but when push comes to shove and they weigh it, it looks like a few other (non-3017ers) are in line with that.

It will be interesting and I look forward to using it day in and day out, really putting it to the test. I won't know for sure until it's empty, but weighing my last 170g jar EMPTY and this one one, it appears to be overstuffed at 214g of soap (listed as 170g). I suspected the old 170g jars had 200g of soap in them, as they appear identical to the 200g Fougure I received last year.

Full to the brim and ready for use:

$IMG_9119.jpg$IMG_9120.jpg

Last edited:
It's hard to say for certain, I had already used the puck a fair number of times before starting the 3017 process on it. I think it was around 50 to 60% remaining on Jan 1st. So I have 14 shaves on it since starting, I'm thinking it will probably go to 20. So I guess ballpark figure 40ish shaves total? I've been loading it pretty heavily though (and the resulting lather has been terrific, I don't regret the high usage).

I have two other pucks (Seville and Solstice) that will be at 100% when I start 3017ing them, so I can probably get a more accurate number.

Heck, your estimated finish is better than mine. I got 30 shaves from a brand new puck of their Nocturne seasonal. Absolutely wonderful shaves but I need to load very heavy to overcome my hard water factor.

Family shot:

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1389755507.062080.jpg

Oddly enough a month ago I only had the Omega, Bigelow, and AOS soaps along with my VDH.

Attachments

• $ImageUploadedByTapatalk1389755453.933315.jpg
    $ImageUploadedByTapatalk1389755453.933315.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 179
<sigh...> I gave my two tubs of the omega croap to each of my brothers and really miss it. It was the first product I ever used with a brush.

[Note to self]Don't wait so long between uses of a Haslinger puck[/Note]

I had almost forgotten how good this stuff is.

Did someone mention MDC? I'm tempted to go with the small jar but my recent experience with GFT coconut has bested all my other soaps in my rotation. It's a tiny butter dish of a jar and has been better for my skin than the Fogure. Looking forward to finishing this one. Hmm, which brush?? Adoration...is a soap killer. So much so in one use it absorbed a solid TBS of Proraso. Unbelievable. This brush density will hold more soap than my BLK 12! Hopefully it'll become a kinder gentler brush once broken in, but for now it's all take and no give of a brush. But like this thread I'll use this brush exclusively along with the MDC and hope it breaks in as I use up the soap. Should be fun!

Attachments

• $uploadfromtaptalk1389782764235.jpg
    $uploadfromtaptalk1389782764235.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 158
  • $uploadfromtaptalk1389783667993.jpg
    $uploadfromtaptalk1389783667993.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 157

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
My Harris journey is indeed over. Five pucks nose-to-tail certainly made for great shaving. Looking forward to Haslinger "Sage" tomorrow.

I can see a year of DR Harris is in my future. Congrats.

I have been using MdC for the last several days now and I am enjoying it. Does anyone think the MdC jar is not the most conducive soap receptacle for loading a brush?

Top Bottom