What's new

My Guess... 3017

This is harder than it sounds.

2 shaves in and I'm already looking at trying something else.

Must stay strong! Tell me it gets easier?!

It gets easier! :001_rolle

My Marlborough puck has been moved into a smaller dish as it was starting to deform badly on the post in the middle of my Mühle soap dish. So far I have had almost 60 shaves with this one- there won't be toooo many more.

This is harder than it sounds.

2 shaves in and I'm already looking at trying something else.

Must stay strong! Tell me it gets easier?!

The funny thing is that the start and end are the hardest. After a few shaves, you have to overcome the normal routine of jumping to the next soap. It gets a ton easier from there as you start turning that energy into finding the perfect shave with your chosen soap. IMO, there is a small bump at the end because for some strange reason, soaps just refuse to give up that last bit of life and you are already looking into which soap/cream is next. You get a little flustered as you run into the "perpetual ring of soap" that spins with your brush.

Stay strong and load it like you hate it!

Man I better get in that shaving state of mind if I want to complete my goal. 6 days into 2014 and only 2 shaves. Though I think I finally figure out the secret to NY Shave Company's lather. I finally got it to provide a good cushion. Still irritates the skin to much for me to ever trust or use it agaian. Maybe two shave left in the tub.

Congrats Bob on a fine journey. Looking forward to your next one, whatever that would be. (Aftershave?)

For me, the German Nivea shave cream has been abandoned after a few shaves. I wasn't jiving with the chemical burning feeling that it was producing on my face.

Today was the first shave with a 138g tube of Proraso Blue. Let's hope I can actually finish a product instead of sending it to the PIF pile.

Editing: Got a trade package in that had TOBS Sandalwood. As much as I like the Proraso Blue, it's a little chilly even for Southern California mornings. Going with the TOBS next shave (190g no lid).

Last edited:
The funny thing is that the start and end are the hardest. After a few shaves, you have to overcome the normal routine of jumping to the next soap. It gets a ton easier from there as you start turning that energy into finding the perfect shave with your chosen soap. IMO, there is a small bump at the end because for some strange reason, soaps just refuse to give up that last bit of life and you are already looking into which soap/cream is next. You get a little flustered as you run into the "perpetual ring of soap" that spins with your brush.

By the time I get down to that last two or three shaves worth, it's pretty soft and pliable and hard to load. The last couple of pucks I've used up, I just smeared that last little bit on top of the new one I'm am going to start next. It doesn't spin around that way and on the last day, I get an interesting uber-lather. The color difference is usually noticeable enough that I can tell that the old soap is really gone within three days.
I can't find the thread just now, but someone on the board took those last few days worth of soaps for a year or two and created an interesting "franken-shave-stick" of many colors that looked like a cross between a sedimentary rock sample and a candy stick.

By the time I get down to that last two or three shaves worth, it's pretty soft and pliable and hard to load. The last couple of pucks I've used up, I just smeared that last little bit on top of the new one I'm am going to start next. It doesn't spin around that way and on the last day, I get an interesting uber-lather. The color difference is usually noticeable enough that I can tell that the old soap is really gone within three days.
I can't find the thread just now, but someone on the board took those last few days worth of soaps for a year or two and created an interesting "franken-shave-stick" of many colors that looked like a cross between a sedimentary rock sample and a candy stick.
Clown barf. :lol:

After 5 shaves I'm averaging around 3 grams per shave. This soap doesn't stand a chance!
I was a bit disappointed when I weighed my next soap on the list, a TFS refill, and found out it weighs 47 grams with the plastic container. The advertised amount is 100 ml.

Clown barf. :lol:

After 5 shaves I'm averaging around 3 grams per shave. This soap doesn't stand a chance!
I was a bit disappointed when I weighed my next soap on the list, a TFS refill, and found out it weighs 47 grams with the plastic container. The advertised amount is 100 ml.

How many grams were you expecting?

It gets easier! :001_rolle

My Marlborough puck has been moved into a smaller dish as it was starting to deform badly on the post in the middle of my Mühle soap dish. So far I have had almost 60 shaves with this one- there won't be toooo many more.

Thanks for the encouragement! I shall try to stick with it!

Thank you again, load it like I hate it, I shall remember this next time I load my brush!

Over 100 with the container. In my mind 100 ml of croap = little over 100 grams. Guess I was wrong.

If I recall correctly, most (but not all) makers measure product by volume and not by weight (fluid ounces/ml vs gram). I would imagine that 100 ml is dispensed but after curing, the weight would be significantly lighter.

One shave of the La Toja stick left. I mashed the last inch into the ramekin a couple weeks ago. I'll use that puck of Peppermint Stick next as the cold winter weather arrives in SW FL overnight (39 tomorrow morning?!). Then it is on to AOS Lemon tallow.

Very close to two full months of shaves from a stick of La Toja. I can't find fault with it. It continues to be my favorite soap.

Last edited:
One shave of the La Toja stick left. I mashed the last inch into the ramekin a couple weeks ago. I'll use that puck of Peppermint Stick next as the cold winter weather arrives in SW FL overnight (39 tomorrow morning?!).

It's forecast to be 17 tonight here in Navarre. I can't imagine what our brothers to the north are dealing with (and by north I mean anyone north of the AL/FL border).

Day 1 with Speick stick today. I grated half of it into a bowl. I used the stick half of it today. First impressions: Pretty good soap, but a distant second to La Toja in both scent and performance for soaps that come only as a stick. So far Speick is not good enough for my top five-currently C&E, Mike's, La Toja, Stirling, and D.R. Harris, with Cade a very close sixth. Tomorrow I'll try it from the bowl.

Stirling Tuscany (2/3 puck): 12/10/13-12/27/13. 21 total shaves. Buy again? Yes.
Speick stick: 1/6/14-

Over 100 with the container. In my mind 100 ml of croap = little over 100 grams. Guess I was wrong.
100ml of water does = 100g in weight. Cream and or soap is mostly air and less dense then water. At least most soaps are.

If I recall correctly, most (but not all) makers measure product by volume and not by weight (fluid ounces/ml vs gram). I would imagine that 100 ml is dispensed but after curing, the weight would be significantly lighter.

This is correct: fl oz/ml is fluid volume, grams is mass/ weight

Yeah I know. You can say it. .... Nerd

Last edited:
Don Marco is no more, due to an accident involving a glass bowl. I used a Stirling sample today. My Speick stick should arrive tomorrow and that will probably be my next 3017 soap.

Aaron, I know you will enjoy that Speick! I think it should last about 3 weeks, maybe, if you're using it every day. Might be more than that, depending on how heavy you load your brushes.

7th shave with the Figaro (RR Classic) today and one of the worst shaves in recent months. The soap didn't agree with my face and I felt slight burning on my top lip at the end of the shave. I didn't use any pressure and somehow got a lot of nicks on my neck. It seems as though the lather for the 2nd and 3rd pass are not protective enough. I'm not gonna miss this soap once I finish it. And if the burning continues throughout the week I might not even bother finishing it. There's no point in using an inferior product when there are so many better ones within arm's reach.

Top Bottom