What's new

My Guess... 3017

Broke the XXX streak for a Thanksgiving treat with what little remains of MW Bay Rum.
There's actually less in the MW than is left in the XXX, but it will be stretched out for special occasions. The XXX will be gone by Sunday or else .

My wife was in the kitchen the other night and said; "I really think we should 'thirty seventeen' all these cans of beans and stuff"

Chugging along with PS Green Tea. More people have to give this stuff a try.

I had a puck early on in my Wet Shaving start and remember it being fantastic. It was before I knew anything about anything and/or what 3017 was. When I went to order a puck a few months ago, I ordered the Veraline by accident and didn't like the scent, so PIF'd it to an Active Duty member. One of these days/years, I'll get around to ordering and using the Green Tea again.

I had a puck early on in my Wet Shaving start and remember it being fantastic. It was before I knew anything about anything and/or what 3017 was. When I went to order a puck a few months ago, I ordered the Veraline by accident and didn't like the scent, so PIF'd it to an Active Duty member. One of these days/years, I'll get around to ordering and using the Green Tea again.

I've heard that the Veraline can be a polarizing scent. With the Green Tea, it's a drier, sweeter scent, and it pairs well with the floral AS and cologne scents. I've been using the DR Harris AS Milk, which has a masculine rose scent, and the combination has gotten the thumbs up in my house.

My Wilkinson Sword stick wore down to the plastic holder a few days ago and I'm saving the little bit that's left for a trip next week. Been working on a travel sized AOS Sandalwood cream the past few days and this is some really nice stuff. The first couple days with it, I was using too much (don't say that often) and ended up with pretty dry lather since I just couldn't get enough water in it. So I dialed back to a very small dab and I get a brush full of great creamy lather. This cream is expensive but goes a long way. I'd guess I normally use 2-3 times as much Proraso for each shave. So I guess $25 for a tub of it may not be all that outrageous. Probably comes out close to the same per shave.

Last edited:
Chugging along with PS Green Tea. More people have to give this stuff a try.
It is pretty good. And cheap, too. Drugstore.com has it for $6.99, and they regularly have 20% off sales. I got mine for $5.59 shipped. The only thing I don't like about it is the scent. It's not that I don't like the scent, it's just not what I expected. It doesn't smell at all like green tea to me.

My Wilkinson Sword stick wore down to the plastic holder a few days ago and I'm saving the little bit that's left for a trip next week. Been working on a travel sized AOS Sandalwood cream the past few days and this is some really nice stuff. The first couple days with it, I was using too much (don't say that often) and ended up with pretty dry lather since I just couldn't get enough water in it. So I dialed back to a very small dab and I get a brush full of great creamy lather. This cream is expensive but goes a long way. I'd guess I normally use 2-3 times as much Proraso for each shave. So I guess $25 for a tub of it may not be all that outrageous. Probably comes out close to the same per shave.

For reference, I got 114 shaves out of my full size tub of AoS Sandalwood shaving cream.

Update on my KL Lavender lathering issues.

We're staying at my brother-in-law's house for the Thanksgiving holiday and their water is noticeably harder than ours.

I loaded a lot with a fairly wet brush and face lathered. The soap took much longer to build into a thick lather and retained a nice sheen and pretty good slickness.

I think this confirms my thoughts that soaps lather "too easily" for me with my ultra soft water and just get airy. I've also been experimenting with less vigorous lathering at home and that has helped, but not on par with the lather I got here. That's the nicest shave I've had in awhile.

I guess I'll try to steer towards soaps that have a reputation for being a little harder to lather and away from those that seemingly lather themselves (e.g. MdC clones).

We're staying at my brother-in-law's house for the Thanksgiving holiday and their water is noticeably harder than ours.

I loaded a lot with a fairly wet brush and face lathered. The soap took much longer to build into a thick lather and retained a nice sheen and pretty good slickness.

I think this confirms my thoughts that soaps lather "too easily" for me with my ultra soft water and just get airy. I've also been experimenting with less vigorous lathering at home and that has helped, but not on par with the lather I got here. That's the nicest shave I've had in awhile.

I guess I'll try to steer towards soaps that have a reputation for being a little harder to lather and away from those that seemingly lather themselves (e.g. MdC clones).
When I get treated with soft water everything lathers better! At least you found what works for you, that's really all that matters.

My tub of RR Mudder Focker is done. The container had 100g of soap in it, 33 shaves, so 3.03 g per shave.

Overall, it was one of the best croaps I have used. Easy to lather, face lathered every one, great post shave feel, not drying at all, pleasant scent. It did NOT hold up to scuttle heat. The fullers mud (I think) had little chunks in it, that would not disintegrate on my face so they were like little tiny grains of sand here and there. It did not affect the shave negatively, so was not a worry.

The lather was always thick and creamy and did not evaporate on my face at any time. I would swirl for about 30sec or so over my mug, with a damp brush (any works with this soap) and then face lather. I used the mug to house my brush between passes and always ended by applying the extra lather to my face during wash up of hardware etc.
$IMG_20141128_181328 (Large).jpg $IMG_20141128_181522 (Large).jpg
Next up for me is 100g of MdC Fougere, pressed in to my ceramic soap dish. I may cheat this weekend and use a sample of Catties Bubbles from a work buddy, just to see what all the fuss is about and then start MdC on Dec 01.

$IMG_20141128_181626 (Large).jpg

2013.01.01 to 2013.01.13 - AOS Lemon Cream (partial)
2013.01.14 to 2013.02.01 - MW Lavender Lime (partial)
2013.02.02 to 2013.02.15 - QCS Briar Cream (partial)
2013.02.16 to 2013.03.22 - GFT Coconut Cream (partial)
2013.03.23 to 2013.04.01 - Samples
2013.04.02 to 2013.04.19 - Pens BB Cream (partial)
2013.04.20 to 2013.04.22 - Sample
2013.04.23 to 2013.07.26 - PdP
2013.07.27 to 2013.08.23 - NB Signature (to be cont'd)
2013.08.24 to 2013.09.15 - SnS Vegan
2013.09.16 to 2013.10.06 - NB Signature (completed)
2013.10.07 to 2013.11.12 - SnS Tallow
2013.11.13 to 2013.12.02 - LaToja (pressed into bowl)
2013.12.03 to 2013.12.31 - Savon de Barbe
2014.01.01 to 2014.01.24 - Panna Creama Labdano
2014.01.25 to 2014.02.20 - Failed Harris & MdC
2014.02.21 to 2014.04.13 - Proraso Blue
2014.04.14 to 2014.05.14 - Haslinger Schafmilch
2014.05.15 to 2014.06.20 - RazoRock Moroccan Secret
2014.06.21 to 2014.07.28 - RazoRock P.160
2014.07.29 to 2014.08.08 - Samples
2014.08.09 to 2014.09.27 - Vitos Super Extra Coconut
2014.09.28 to 2014.10.24 - Castle Forbes Lavender (partial)
2014.10.25 to 2014.11.28 - RazoRock Mudder Focker
2014.11.29 to ??????????

Last edited:

I've found that you can definitely over lather a soap to the point that you can kill all slickness in favor of volume....and not in a good way. It also seems to be pretty easy to do this with the soft water like I have.

I've found that you can definitely over lather a soap to the point that you can kill all slickness in favor of volume....and not in a good way. It also seems to be pretty easy to do this with the soft water like I have.

Do you find you get good results by just taking less time lathering?

Maybe I should just ignore the larger bubbles and shave.

Top Bottom