What's new

My Guess... 3017

Here is the extra Aloe Vera Haslinger lather in my brush today. I use this to apply to my face, by hand, after my last pass. It stays on until I am ready for the warm and cold rinse.

proxy.php

Didn't look like the mailman would arrive with the new Thater 24mm so I shaved with the 26mm. Of course he arrived shortly afterwards. Had to give a bath to the new brush so here's Haslinger Aloe Vera:

proxy.php

Happy New Year, everyone.

I've been using Tim's Soap Columbia River for a week now. This is a good soap - I'd put it on par with Mike's, Queen Charlotte, and Mystic Water. It is easy to lather and it's rich, thick, slick, and provides great cushion. The scent is awesome - mostly Evergreen with a hint of patchouli and oak moss - and SWMBO loves it.

My only quibble is that by the third pass, my face is just starting to tingle slightly. I'm fairly sensitive to certain Fragrance Oils so I can get lit up pretty good if one of them is in use. I can use this soap without pain or irritation but there is just a tiny bit of one of the FO's that bugs me. I have a second tub of the Roses and Wood scent and look forward to trying that later in the year to see if it also tingles. Hope not.

Hello, fellows, great to see some familiar handles (amongst the new)... Been a new tub of Tabac, a couple of AoS tallow pucks, and a Valobra Cologne puck since I checked in here, but the New Year seemed like the time to do so, and the 3017 thread the one to do so in.

Mid-year, on July 16, the wife and I had just landed in SF for a 10 year anniversary trip when we got a call that her son, my stepson, had OD'd on heroin and was non-responsive. Suffice it to say the rest of the year has been a bit of a blur, with the ups and downs of treatment, aftercare, and sober living adjustments. I'm happy to report that he is doing well, and taking it one day at a time.

My thoughts and prayers to all who have been touched by addiction in any form (and that's just about every one of us). There's always hope!

Looking forward to getting back in the groove in 2016.

Nice to see you around Jay. Sorry to hear about your step son, I'm glad he is moving forward.

Disastrous shave today with the King Cobra. First time using Kai Milds, and had been using a Gillette Tech all week. Sliced my chin and had irritation just everywhere. Too many variables here to say what went wrong, but man that sucked.

A few shaves into schafmilch now. I've been using my RR Plissoft synthetic brush. I've been using the brush for about a month straight with soft soaps and creams and love it, but this is my first time using it with a harder soap like Haslinger. This plissoft whips up a Haslinger lather as quickly as my shavemac and other finer badgers. I like this brush a lot.

As far as schafmilch is concerned, well, its January in Frostbite Falls and the lanolin is most welcome. Soap and brush combo get an A+.

I've used the Creed Santal now five times. Fantastic soap. On par with Tabac for me with a nicer scent. (although I do like the Tabac scent, Santal is sublime!) it doesn't produce the copious amount of lather that MdC does, it is on par with Tabac here too. After shave feel is great, slightly less moisturizing then Tabac, but much more than MdC. Don't need an asb with this soap at all.

Loading for 40 swirls (probably 10-15seconds?) gives me enough for a full three pass shave in the face and 99.9% of my head. I need to squeeze out a bit at the end so I can get enough on the head. Going to try and load a bit more and see if that makes it last just that extra bit.

Cheers,

M.

[MENTION=36370]brucered[/MENTION] is that texture unique to aloe? It looks like a different texture than I've gotten with haslinger before.

[MENTION=36370]brucered[/MENTION] is that texture unique to aloe? It looks like a different texture than I've gotten with haslinger before.
Nope, that's how the others look too when I ring out the brush. I think it is just the way it squeezes out. It is a wet lather, just how I like it.

I haven't noticed any difference in performance, lather or post shave feel in any of them.

Nope, that's how the others look too when I ring out the brush. I think it is just the way it squeezes out. It is a wet lather, just how I like it.

I haven't noticed any difference in performance, lather or post shave feel in any of them.

You've definitely worked more water into it than I have in the past. Next puck I work through I'm going to to try wetter to see how it goes.

I'm about a 3rd through Indian Palmolive moisture plus.

It's very slick stuff. The only thing I don't like about it is that I find that there isn't much of a lather explosion when water I added. It turns from green to white with very little increase in volume when water is added.

Fairly average performer I'd say so far.

Here's to a smoother 2016 for you, Jay.

Nice to see you around Jay. Sorry to hear about your step son, I'm glad he is moving forward.

Jay... Good to see you. Glad to hear your stepson is moving forward... One Day at a Time !!!!

Thanks, guys! (and to any others I missed...)

Good to be around. Got a few more shaves on the Valobra Cologne before starting something new, and haven't decided yet what it'll be...maybe a Haslingers puck.

Returning to the 3017 fold. 20+ different soaps in my cabinet and its time to get back to business. Starting back up with a container of Dusy - I used this particular container 45 times in 2015. I have 1 bar that is not opened at all, so I think I have around 350 grams left. Perhaps I'll go all of 2016 on DK.

strop

Now half as wise
Still going strong with the Marlborough. After 2 months, I'm averaging just a 0.9 grams/shave, and certainly not trying to be conservative. Given some planned weekend trips coming up, looks like I'll be into March before I have to choose my next soap.

Bruce, I'm glad to see someone else with a very wet lather. Too much of what I see pictured looks way too dry for me.

Shave three with MWF today. Went with the dry synthetic approach and had issues with the lather drying out some. Went back with a more water and messed it all up. Started from scratch with a soaked boar and had the same stellar lather I got on the first two shaves.

Glad MWF is working out for you. I never quite got the hang of it and didn't bother putting in the effort to figure it out. I may swing back to it one day, we'll see. Funny how the boar helped you get the water ratio right, I get the same thing with my Stirling soap. Both my synthetics take more dialing in on water than a soaked boar. Not saying the soap doesn't lather, but it just takes a bit longer.

Jay, my thoughts to you and your family. Addiction has been an issue in my family as well, my thoughts to you, your wife and your stepson going forward.

Checking out with another 3017 failure. In the process of moving, I've misplaced my Nomad and I've been using the last of my Soap Commander Motivation smooshed on top of a puck of Lemon AoS tallow.

I am 3017ing some Marlborough, but I seem to be using about 0.25 g per day (after 30 shaves). At this rate it may be the only soap I use in 2016!

I haven't weighed mine, but I'm 101 shaves in on the puck and, based on visual assessment, I'm just halfway. So, unless it goes down much faster as it gets to the bottom, I'm looking at 200 or thereabouts. Economical, but also challenging to stick with the 3017 commitment.

Top Bottom