What's new

My Guess... 3017

Bigelow remained a (**) product for me, with great cushion and scent, but if I added too much water, I lost slickness and glide. Such is the danger of using creams, IMO. I must say that compared to the last batch of Bigelow and the first tube of Proraso that I used back in 2009, the scent has definitely improved for me. I never could quite get on board with the medicinal scent that the original sported, but after the reformulation, they toned it down nicely to my nose to make it a much more enjoyable shave.

After two shaves here is my initial impression of Panna Crema Namesta: This stuff is fantastic.
From the first lather this stuff jumped into my bench mark C&S/Valobra range. This soap makes a quick,thick, rich, slick and protective lather. I have had two of my best shaves ever with this soap. No irritation or razor burn and a nice post shave feel. If this keeps up I will be buying a lot more of this stuff.
By the way, this soap has a wonderful lemongrass scent that is just right. Not too strong to interfere with my AS or too weak as to not know it's there. ��

Will you please take a whirl at a description of the smell?

For me, it is the smell of the incense that they use at Church on the big holidays. I think a lot of people get focused on the mango part of the name and force themselves to think it smells like dirty old mangos because they expect it to. It's just mango oil in it, nothing mango scented.

From what I've read, the main component of incense used at Roman Catholic masses is Frankincense.

Last edited:
+1 on the praise for the I Coloniali. I never got a mango scent out of it either, just smoky and spicy. Derek is probably right about the incense. I've not been around church incense enough to make the connection but it sounds right.

And +1 on the Pannacrema, Evan. Great, great stuff.

For me, it is the smell of the incense that they use at Church on the big holidays. I think a lot of people get focused on the mango part of the name and force themselves to think it smells like dirty old mangos because they expect it to. It's just mango oil in it, nothing mango scented.

From what I've read, the main component of incense used at Roman Catholic masses is Frankincense.

+1 on the praise for the I Coloniali. I never got a mango scent out of it either, just smoky and spicy. Derek is probably right about the incense. I've not been around church incense enough to make the connection but it sounds right.

Smoky, spicy incense. I could enjoy that! Now, to justify buying it with two decades of soap in the closet . . . lol.

After two shaves here is my initial impression of Panna Crema Namesta: This stuff is fantastic.
From the first lather this stuff jumped into my bench mark C&S/Valobra range...

I totally agree! I 3017'd a tub of lavandotto earlier this year and loved every minute of it. It had surprising longevity for me, too.

I'Coloniali has recently been reformulated. Anyone familiar with the OG version tried the new version and care to comment? I've used one of the old versions and have s puck of the old in the queue. Its a really different soap. The slickness is incredible.

I totally agree! I 3017'd a tub of lavandotto earlier this year and loved every minute of it. It had surprising longevity for me, too.

I'Coloniali has recently been reformulated. Anyone familiar with the OG version tried the new version and care to comment? I've used one of the old versions and have s puck of the old in the queue. Its a really different soap. The slickness is incredible.

Holy smokes! Would you mind clarifying "recent"? When you mentioned "slickness", does that apply to the old or the new formulation?

I have PM'd two I knew have used both old and new and they say it's just as good or better. Apparently they just enhanced its slickness which is wonderful. I get smokey dark chocolate with a soft menthol kick which makes it a nice all season scent. Softening up slightly...a nice 3017 discovery.

From the first lather this stuff jumped into my bench mark C&S/Valobra range. This soap makes a quick,thick, rich, slick and protective lather. I have had two of my best shaves ever with this soap. No irritation or razor burn and a nice post shave feel. If this keeps up I will be buying a lot more of this stuff.
By the way, this soap has a wonderful lemongrass scent that is just right. Not too strong to interfere with my AS or too weak as to not know it's there. ��

My brief encounter with Nuavia by PannaCrema left me quite sad. I could tell from the quality of the lather that it's one heckuva fine soap. Unfortunately I had a mild reaction. I haven't given up on it yet though. I am leaving it sit open for a good long while. Some day I will give it another go, just to be certain the reaction wasn't partly from something else. Not likely, but I don't want to give up on that soap.

RazoRock Tight Buns is still going very well, no complaints. I've dialed in the lather so it's creamy, slick & protective. Mild, clean and classy scent too.

I'm going to hold off using any more Haslinger for the remaining few months of the year. Maybe kill off an 888 and then some CiT before the Year of Haslinger decision has to be made.

I just received a delivery from a certain vendor on the other side of the ocean that happens to sell Haslinger. In that package was some Personna Red blades in the new UK package, some Valobra Fougere hard soap that was put into long term storage, and my oh my, a whole bunch of Haslinger!! The stash is around 20 now. Look out 2016.

I just received a delivery from a certain vendor on the other side of the ocean that happens to sell Haslinger. In that package was some Personna Red blades in the new UK package, some Valobra Fougere hard soap that was put into long term storage, and my oh my, a whole bunch of Haslinger!! The stash is around 20 now. Look out 2016.

One of these days I'm going to have to try some Haslinger. If I don't do it soon you guys are gonna buy it all up and not leave any for the rest of us!

One of these days I'm going to have to try some Haslinger. If I don't do it soon you guys are gonna buy it all up and not leave any for the rest of us!
If they ever rumored to discontinue or shut down the plant, I'd buy another 50 pucks. On my weekend road trips to Fargo, I could bring down and sell you a puck for $20 USD. :w00t:

That's how good it is.

I hit the road and took the WS shave stick along. I didn't miss Proraso Blue at all. Another effortless excellent shave today. This is just a great all around product. On a side note, I dropped a Personna Red in the NEW SC. They came in the new UK 10 pack. A very smooth blade. Not quite as sharp as my go-to blade which is a Feather, but sharp enough, smoother than the Feather. Curious to see how many shaves I get from it. I had tried Personna Reds years ago and forgot what a nice blade they are. Cheers Gentlemen!

I am working through a tin of Mikes Orange, Cedarwood and Pepper. About halfway through. Am using RR Son of Zeus when traveling. Two very different soaps that both perform very good. The Orange scent isn't a favorite at this point.

Top Bottom