What's new

My Guess... 3017

I test lathered a new tub of Seifenglatt Blooming April that I got in a trade, which is a mild carnation development scent. SWMNBN-SWMBO asked for no florals, so it's out. I've got a 200+ gm tub that I'll split into a couple of PIFs if anyone is interested. This is the American company with a German name that has their soap made in France. Reply or PM if interested.
View attachment 577368

I thought there was a bite on this PIF while I was traveling but can't find it so this soap is heading for the bin.

I took a break today because I am not as close to finishing my Palmolive as I thought. I did a test run with GFT Eucris tube and my travel brush to see if it is a good pair for an upcoming trip. And it's fine - not my favorite scent or performance - but it will do and I was glad to have something different after about a month. But back to Palmolive tomorrow!

The PannaCrema Mystery Sample 3017 is done. What little remained was tossed. I never did get a decent lather from the stuff. I got so frustrated with it this morning that I broke out my favorite boar, favorite synthetic, and favorite badger brushes. I did three lathers with each brush. The "Marco method". My own hybrid approach I use for most soaps. Lastly, starting with a relatively dry brush and slowly building a lather. Out of 9 test lathers from 3 types of really good brushes not one of them produced a lather any better than the worst Williams lather I have seen. Plus the scent was so gawd awful I actually shampooed all 3 brushes to get it out. Into the trash with it.

I am not going to list it on my log and certainly I don't consider this mystery sample indicative of PannaCrema soaps. I've read many glowing reviews. Me and soap samples just do not get along. Don't know what it is or why I bother with the darn things.

So...out of the frying pan and into the fire. I have another soap sample up next. Stirling. Sigh. At least I don't hate the scent. Its called Lemony Orange. Smells fine. Will give it a go starting tomorrow. But my attention span for this sample is going to be very short. The first sign of lather troubles its gone. Who knows? Maybe it will surprise me.

I tried the dry loading, squeezed and shaken. Loaded a good amount of paste and dipped the tips to load some more. It was a thin layer of dry lather and while it was better than before, still wasn't great.

I'm only getting about 1.2g per shave loading this stuff. Seems difficult to load if anything. Maybe that's part of the issue.

Also the scent in the uncovered container is not quite subdued. Will go back to covered after this sample is done.

Are you working through XXX, Jarick? I bloomed the soap for about 30 seconds and took a damp SOC to it for about 30 seconds. Smooth sailing.

I thought there was a bite on this PIF while I was traveling but can't find it so this soap is heading for the bin.
I restrained myself from jumping in because I feel like I've received several 3017 PIFs already but if you need someone to send it to I'd willingly accept.

Back from a week at Disney World...Cella joined the family and I. Had some wonderful shaves with it! Got one weeper (totally my fault, as I was in a hurry), but other than that, the same, slick, reliable shaves that I've come to expect from Cella. Last night I did cheat as I got my next box from Garry and it had a tube of Coates sandalwood, I had to try it. It was great. I loaded my 26c with a feather (my first ever) and it was spectacular. I will be going back to Cella now, but HAD to try out Coates.

Back from a week at Disney World...Cella joined the family and I. Had some wonderful shaves with it! Got one weeper (totally my fault, as I was in a hurry), but other than that, the same, slick, reliable shaves that I've come to expect from Cella. Last night I did cheat as I got my next box from Garry and it had a tube of Coates sandalwood, I had to try it. It was great. I loaded my 26c with a feather (my first ever) and it was spectacular. I will be going back to Cella now, but HAD to try out Coates.
I have been going through all 6 scents of Coates and I really love it. So far it's way up there on my cream list.

About a year ago, I picked up one of the Plisson synthetics from L'Occitane, and I have regularly read posts and threads about it, including its shortcomings as far as density is concerned. I decided to use it this week with Boellis, and sure enough, the brush is really floppy. It also picked up plenty of soap with the 7 second loading I've been using, and the flowthrough from the floppy knot delivered the best lather yet from this soap, really rich, slick and well-hydrated.

I have been trying to load less product with very poor results. At first, the lather seems good, even giving me what seems like a good shave, until I clean up and OH BOY DO I HAVE NECK IRRITATION. When I keep everything the same, except for increasing the amount of product, the red neck goes away.
Experiment:Concluded Result: Use More Product.
For me, more product = Great Shave
Life is too short for bad shaves, so I am going back to my "load it like There's no tomorrow" method and enjoy every shave.

Are you working through XXX, Jarick? I bloomed the soap for about 30 seconds and took a damp SOC to it for about 30 seconds. Smooth sailing.

I am. It's difficult to load enough product with this soap using a badger brush. I need to use a very dry brush with a lot of backbone, and even then I'm barely getting 1g per shave. Similar issues with Pre de Provence, and maybe even MWF. It's not that I'm not TRYING to load too little product, it's that the product is difficult to load, and that leads to thin lather.

Today's shave was with the 24x54 Shavemac 2-band. Loaded with a dry brush, added a touch of water, face lathered, decent lather but I had to make it a bit too thin to get enough for two passes. I used my Lord L6 which I haven't used in months. This razor is surprisingly mild, much more than my R89 and my Weber. Shave angle is extremely easy to find. No wonder it was such a good beginner razor for me. Due to the lack of blade exposure, the resulting shave was very comfortable with no irritation, but it wasn't terribly close.

I think tomorrow I'm going to try "mug lathering" the soap. I'm hoping it makes it easier to load more product and build more lather, good quality lather, even if it's somewhat wasteful. At this point, I've had 8 lathers and only gone through about 9g of soap, which is 1.1g per shave. I can afford to burn through more.

The weird part is I didn't have any issues with this soap last year, and I had it highly rated. Last year I burned through a full tub in about 45 shaves. This one is on pace for 115 shaves. Big difference, and the shave quality reflects it.

About a year ago, I picked up one of the Plisson synthetics from L'Occitane, and I have regularly read posts and threads about it, including its shortcomings as far as density is concerned. I decided to use it this week with Boellis, and sure enough, the brush is really floppy. It also picked up plenty of soap with the 7 second loading I've been using, and the flowthrough from the floppy knot delivered the best lather yet from this soap, really rich, slick and well-hydrated.

The Plisson synthetic makes lather quicker and better than about anything else. It's just that face feel I don't like. The fibers have a touch of irritation to them and it's both springy and floppy. Still hoping for a next-gen improvement on the hair at some point...

The Plisson synthetic makes lather quicker and better than about anything else. It's just that face feel I don't like. The fibers have a touch of irritation to them and it's both springy and floppy. Still hoping for a next-gen improvement on the hair at some point...

+1, this has been my experience with the latest gen of synthetics. They work very well, and if I wasn't so use to my badgers and boars I think I would love the syn. The face feel when lathering very foreign to me. I need to commit to just using one for a month straight. By the end of the month I suspect I would want to use nothing else.

+1, this has been my experience with the latest gen of synthetics. They work very well, and if I wasn't so use to my badgers and boars I think I would love the syn. The face feel when lathering very foreign to me. I need to commit to just using one for a month straight. By the end of the month I suspect I would want to use nothing else.
This is 100% true. I had boars and badgers and synthetic. I ended up going for the synthetic more since it didn't need to soak, never lost hairs etc. I then sold off all my boars. Then sold off my badgers. Out of curiosity I bought a Simpson Duke 3. It feels very strange after using synthetics so long. I actually don't like the feel anymore. It makes great lather too but literally feels dead since I am so used to the spring in a synthetic. I don't want to use anything but my synthetics anymore.

strop

Now half as wise
It seems as if I can't estimate soap usage when nearing the end of the bowl, and again I underestimated how much was left when I posted about it last week. The Martin de Candre now has one more day left.

I had used a travel puck of C&S while on vacation for 2 weeks and had almost forgotten how good it was .:thumbup1: As such, I've decided to go with a partial puck of AOS Lemon, tallow of course, starting on July 1.

Haslinger Sage is done. 60g, 34 shaves, 1.76g per shave. My lowest with Haslinger yet. Not much to add, simply a perfect soap again.

I know the dates don't line up for Haslinger, but I used SMdF twice during that time, so just adjusted the end date to keep it simple and factored it in to my the 50g sample. I'm starting with 50g in case there are any issues and I have to move the rest. The full jar is about 175g.

Next up is 50g hunk of RazoRock SMdF

1-4 + ratings)
2013.01.02 to 2013.01.13 - AOS Lemon Cream (partial) +++
2013.01.14 to 2013.02.01 - MW Lavender Lime (partial) +++
2013.02.02 to 2013.02.15 - QCS Briar Cream (partial) +++
2013.02.16 to 2013.03.22 - GFT Coconut Cream (partial) ++++
2013.03.23 to 2013.04.01 - Samples
2013.04.02 to 2013.04.19 - Pens BB Cream (partial) ++
2013.04.20 to 2013.04.22 - Sample
2013.04.23 to 2013.07.26 - PdP +++
2013.07.27 to 2013.08.23 - NB Signature (to be cont'd) ++++
2013.08.24 to 2013.09.15 - SnS Vegan +++
2013.09.16 to 2013.10.06 - NB Signature (completed) ++++
2013.10.07 to 2013.11.12 - SnS Tallow +++
2013.11.13 to 2013.12.02 - LaToja (pressed into bowl) +++
2013.12.03 to 2013.12.31 - Savon de Barbe ++
2014.01.01 to 2014.01.24 - Panna Creama Labdano ++
2014.01.25 to 2014.02.20 - Failed Harris & MdC
2014.02.21 to 2014.04.13 - Proraso Blue ++++
2014.04.14 to 2014.05.14 - Haslinger Schafmilch ++++
2014.05.15 to 2014.06.20 - RazoRock Moroccan Secret +++
2014.06.21 to 2014.07.28 - RazoRock P.160 ++++
2014.07.29 to 2014.08.08 - Samples
2014.08.09 to 2014.09.27 - Vitos Super Extra Coconut +++
2014.09.28 to 2014.10.24 - Castle Forbes Lavender (partial) ++
2014.10.25 to 2014.11.29 - RazoRock Mudder Focker ++++
2014-11.30 to 2014.12.07 - Failed MdC Fougere +
2014.12.08 to 2015.01.09 - Haslinger Coconut ++++
2015.01.10 to 2015.01.16 - Failed Cella +
2015.01.17 to 2015.02.14 - RazoRock ABCBA 50g ++++
2015.02.15 to 2015.03.16 - Haslinger Sandelholz ++++
2015.03.17 to 2015.03-25 - Failed RazoRock San Valentino +
2015.03.26 to 2015.04.24 - Pre de Provence 40g +++
2015.04.25 to 2015.05.24 - Valobra Stick ++++
2015.05.25 to 2015.06.27 - Haslinger Sage ++++
2015.06.28 to ????.??.?? - RazoRock SMdF (50g)

Last edited:
Oops, forgot a pic of the new 3017 soap

Attachments

• $uploadfromtaptalk1435630015388.jpg
    $uploadfromtaptalk1435630015388.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 111
Top Bottom