What's new

My Guess... 3017

Panjo it up!

I'm with you though. Unless it's "great", there is no reason for me to use it.

My PdP 50g is showing signs of wear, but it's hard to tell how much as it's kind of translucent to begin with in my dish. It's been good+, but not in Haslinger league, which I was hoping it would be.

Valobra stick will be next for me. Longer overdue to try this one and interested to see how good it is.

At least I have a single soap to measure others against now and use it as my benchmark.

I'm really curious to see what you think of the Valobra stick. I want to try a Valobra hard soap but its going to be quite a while before I have the space freed up to give it a go.

I'm really curious to see what you think of the Valobra stick. I want to try a Valobra hard soap but its going to be quite a while before I have the space freed up to give it a go.
I already pulled it out and have it sitting on my shave shelf...so I'm not tempted to bump it

Another great shave with Captains Choice Soap. Also since I am fairly new to 3017 (about a month so far) it feels very satisfying finishing off products and making room.

Shannon's Soap Silk Pajamas has at most three shaves left. I rate this soap pretty highly, nearly all of my shaves have been with either a 2013 R41 or a 2011 R41 and the shaves have been outstanding. The soap is good enough to replace but I won't be replacing it anytime soon as I've been on an artisan soap binge lately and I really need to get my soap hoard under control.
I have a small tin of Super Smooth that I think I'll use next solely because it's a small soap and I can power through it quickly or a tin of Dr. Jon's soap.

Finished a 1 oz sample of MdC Fourgue today. Great soap. Next up is Razorock Son of Zeus.

First shave SoZ was pretty great. Slick, cushioning lather with a lot of protection and good post shave feel. Overall it impressed me though I had to lather about three times longer than I did with MdC over the last couple of months. The scent is strong.

I tried to bowl lather AOS with my 26mm thater 3 band. Not a very good lather. Thin. I really struggle with this brush. Doesn't seem to have the bloom, backbone, or flow of the 2 band.

Then I made a test lather that was better, with a little drier brush. It's like the lather gets trapped in the knot and if you don't use way too much product you won't have enough to shave.

I don't know how people use the chubby brushes to be honest.

This is the price you pay (if you're frugal with your loading)/benefit (if you want to make a soap disappear ASAP) for big brushes. If you don't load enough, the brush won't release it.

This is the price you pay (if you're frugal with your loading)/benefit (if you want to make a soap disappear ASAP) for big brushes. If you don't load enough, the brush won't release it.

This. Load, load some more, bowl lather, load some more. When I use any brush, not just a large brush If I have to squeeze the knot to get enough lather for the last pass I didn't load enough IMO.

This. Load, load some more, bowl lather, load some more. When I use any brush, not just a large brush If I have to squeeze the knot to get enough lather for the last pass I didn't load enough IMO.
The only time I'll ever squeeze the brush to get lather out, is to apply the lather to my face after the shave.

I can probably count on one hand, the number of times I've had to do it though.

Load it up.

I just hit a point where I'm loading the brush and no more product gets loaded. It's not a product issue but a flow through. I value that really highly in a brush, much more than density.

I just hit a point where I'm loading the brush and no more product gets loaded. It's not a product issue but a flow through. I value that really highly in a brush, much more than density.
Density isn't all its cracked up to be sometimes. I only have a couple really dense brushes and they probably get used the least.

I don't recall my Theater having that issue, but it was pretty stuffed. It's been a while since I had it though, so I could be remembering wrong. I did sell it, but forget why....maybe that was the reason :blush:

Well done sir!

I'm kind of torn on trying another 3 band.

My 26x54 3 band seemed to lack flow, so I ordered the shavemac silvertip 2 band at 26x58. That's perfect but a bit big, so I have a silvertip 2 band 24x54 on the way (same proportions with smaller knot). The next brush will either be another silvertip 2 band with a fan shape at 24x48 or maybe a 3 band bulb at 24x54. Depends on how I like the one on the way.

I think the proportions shavemac ships their standard brushes are better than the thater 4125 chubby short lofts.

Last edited:
Top Bottom