What's new

My Guess... 3017

I'm assuming you prefer the ease of lather of creams and soft soaps? How do you like the performance of the hard soap?

I'm actually preferring hard soaps way more. I'm not finding it hard to lather. I've been working on trading all my soft soaps and creams for hard soaps. My frugal self loves the idea of long lasting soaps that won't go bad after a few years.

By the way, I got a puck of Haslinger that I'm really looking forward to trying after the PdP gives up the ghost :thumbup1:

I'm actually preferring hard soaps way more. I'm not finding it hard to lather. I've been working on trading all my soft soaps and creams for hard soaps. My frugal self loves the idea of long lasting soaps that won't go bad after a few years.

By the way, I got a puck of Haslinger that I'm really looking forward to trying after the PdP gives up the ghost [emoji106]1:
If I had to only pick one style, I'd pick hard soaps too. I worked and will continue to work my way through my soft soaps.

I'm very much looking forward using my RR CiT and 888 though. But on the flip side, I'm very much looking forward to getting back to Haslinger.

Heck, I also can't wait to try Valobra stick mashed into my soap dish next. I don't think I have any questionable soaps left in my den.

I agree about hard soaps. Heck a friend was kind enough to PIF me some EXPEC cream, which from what I have seen is fairly expensive, and I almost feel like it will be a chore to use it. :001_huh: I have a couple questionable soaps left in my stash. I will try to give them the 3017 treatment, but if they are only average they are gonna get binned. I have stocked up quite a bit of Haslinger thanks to the recent great prices, and am really looking forward to settling into a long stretch of great shaves. Toss in the odd puck of C&S for a good straight shave here and there and BOOM, shaving heaven.

It's been exactly 14 days since I received my SOC boar and this brush has become my absolute favorite. I've been using different soaps to break the SOC in, but have used RazoRock XXX (my current victim soap) for a few of the shaves. Tonight, I tackled my most difficult soap: Mitchell's. I loaded the SOC for about 45 seconds and face lathered (I only face lather). I was rewarded with the very best lather I've ever seen come from Mitchells (even pictures posted on B&B). I've never had the results with Mitchell's that I witnessed tonight. Thick, wet, slick, and protective lather. This is the only natural hair brush that I've ever used that doesn't force me to return to the soap to complete my shave. I'm glad I have a second SOC boar en route...

My apologies for the rant, but my shave this evening was simply incredible and I wanted to share. I don't think my den will ever be without Mitchell's again.

It's been exactly 14 days since I received my SOC boar and this brush has become my absolute favorite. I've been using different soaps to break the SOC in, but have used RazoRock XXX (my current victim soap) for a few of the shaves. Tonight, I tackled my most difficult soap: Mitchell's. I loaded the SOC for about 45 seconds and face lathered (I only face lather). I was rewarded with the very best lather I've ever seen come from Mitchells (even pictures posted on B&B). I've never had the results with Mitchell's that I witnessed tonight. Thick, wet, slick, and protective lather. This is the only natural hair brush that I've ever used that doesn't force me to return to the soap to complete my shave. I'm glad I have a second SOC boar en route...

My apologies for the rant, but my shave this evening was simply incredible and I wanted to share. I don't think my den will ever be without Mitchell's again.

I'm currently breaking in a SOC and I have some Mitchell's waiting in the wings. Good to know this combination can be a winner.!

I'm currently breaking in a SOC and I have some Mitchell's waiting in the wings. Good to know this combination can be a winner.!
From what I've read, this isn't common, but my SOC boar feels like it's fully broken in and it's only been 2 weeks. If it gets better from here, I'm in for a treat.

The past few days I've only done a 1.5 pass shave and a 10 second load from a wet MW soap is plenty for that.

If I keep that up it's going to take forever for this soft soap.

Last year I was really disappointed with some big hitter hard soaps. MWF, DR Harris, and PdP. I ended up finishing out the year with soft soaps and creams and getting much better lathers. The only hard soap that gave me great lather was Tabac, and that smells like Tabac.

I gave MWF another shot this year and just couldn't get it to go. But AOS tallow has really showed me how good a hard soap can be. In that spirit, I picked up another puck of PdP and got some good test lathers out of it. I do want to give DR Harris another shot at some point, plus I have sticks of La Toja, Speick, and Palmolive that I can smash into a bowl. I 3017'd a stick of Palmolive in a bowl two years ago and it was fantastic, just like AOS tallow.

I do have a TON of product, but I may end up getting rid of a lot of it. I have two nearly full jars of TOBS cream (Mr Taylor and Sandalwood) because I liked the samples, but when I have used them, the lather was just okay and the scent was overpowering and synthetic. So that could knock several months off my stash if they don't make the cut. I really need to get on one of them soon, maybe Mr Taylor will be the next product after AOS.

The only hard soap that gave me great lather was Tabac, and that smells like Tabac.

You say that like it's a bad thing.

Seriously though. It sounds like you need to have a sale on whatever they are calling the BST these days. Free up some funds to buy soaps you love. I know it's been said before but 3017'ing kind of leads you to wanting to use the best soaps, not the good soaps.

You say that like it's a bad thing.

Seriously though. It sounds like you need to have a sale on whatever they are calling the BST these days. Free up some funds to buy soaps you love. I know it's been said before but 3017'ing kind of leads you to wanting to use the best soaps, not the good soaps.
Panjo it up!

I'm with you though. Unless it's "great", there is no reason for me to use it.

My PdP 50g is showing signs of wear, but it's hard to tell how much as it's kind of translucent to begin with in my dish. It's been good+, but not in Haslinger league, which I was hoping it would be.

Valobra stick will be next for me. Longer overdue to try this one and interested to see how good it is.

At least I have a single soap to measure others against now and use it as my benchmark.

Last edited:

Fully intend to if they don't live up to hype. I did sell/trade maybe 10 soaps and creams in the last couple months. I knew I wouldn't use them.

I think I have probably 20-25 soaps and creams. A lot of them are new and a few I have never tried. I'll do the Brucered method and give them a go, and if they suck move on.

Product I'll always try and keep in the rotation:
- AOS Sandalwood
- Proraso (green soap)
- Body Shop Maca Root
- Palmolive (stick)
- Arko (even if just for test lathers)
- RazoRock XXX

The XXX gave up yesterday! Finally, it lasted a very long time. More than 2 months actually.
Today i started a Loccitane Cade soap, it has been used in the past so and i don't know how much is left. I really love that soap, the scent is one of the most amazing ones out there!
Will be a good run!

Top Bottom