What's new

My Guess... 3017

And I measure my usage for fun. Overall, $0.33 a shave for soap is a minor luxury. The record keeping keeps my OCD down to a dull roar.

About ready to finish some Proraso green. Next up will be a tub of RR classic and then MdC in February (hopefully the timing works out). I am then tenatively thinking about trying my Arlington

$sotd.jpg

Ruckin

2014.05.31 - 2014.07.09 (40) Edwin Jagger Sandlewood Shaving Cream (100ml)
2014.07.10 - 2014.09.03 (56) RazoRock XXX (125ml)
2014.09.04 - xxxx.xx.xx Proraso Shaving Cream Soap Menthol and Eucalyptus (150g)

i have been lurking here for a few months now. Trying to figure out what to 3017 first. I currently am using a RazoRock Classic infused with Arko, and Ogalla Samples in my mugs, and will be switching to Mama Bear's Andy's Mint from Thanksgiving to Christmas. Should I switch now to the Mint and 3017 it, or start at the first of the year?

SCS New Spice is dead. Long live SCS New Spice! What a great soap. My tally so far:

3017 Soap Tally (with ratings)

Valobra stick (finished): 4/18/10-4/24/10 (**)
Gold Dachs: 4/26/10-6/19/10 (*)
SCS Chilled Stick: 6/30/10-7/28/10 (**)
AoS Lavender: 7/29/10-10/14/10 (***)
L'Occitane Cade: 11/1/10-1/17/11 (*)
Mitchell's Wool Fat: 1/18/11-5/26/11 (**)
Vintage Williams: 7/4/11-8/3/11 (***)
Acca Kappa White Moss: 8/4/11-9/11/11 (*)
DR Harris Almond: 9/12/11-12/27/11 (***)
Institut Karite: 1/1/12-2/4/12 (**)
Haslinger Marigold: 2/5/12-2/18/12 (**)
SCS Refined: 2/12/12-3/5/12 (**)
Castle Forbes Lavender: 3/6/12-4/3/12 (*)
La Toja Manantiales: 4/9/12-6/10/12 (***)
Czech & Speake 88 (1.25 travel pucks): 6/11/12-7/10/12 (**)
DR Harris Arlington stick: 7/11/12-8/17/12 (**)
Geo. F. Trumper Rose: 9/1/12-12/2/12 (**)
Simpson Luxury Shave Cream: 12/3/12-12/31/12 (**)
RazoRock Napoleon's Violet: 1/1/13-1/26/13 (**)
Czech & Speake Oxford and Cambridge: 2/1/13-3/19/13 (***)
SCS Coconut Cream: 3/20/13-3/20/13 (1 and done as it did not agree with my skin)
SCS Bay Rum with a Twist: 3/21/13-4/3/13 (**)
AoS Lemon: 4/4/13-6/13/13 (***)
Noxzema Lather Shave Cream: 6/14/13-6/27/13 (**)
C.O. Bigelow Cream: 6/28/13-7/14/13 (**)
Boellis Panama 1924 Soap (Half Brick, 85 g): 7/17/13-8/12/13 (**)
​SCS Mochaccino Soap: 8/13/13-8/30/13 (**)
Musgo Real Oakmoss (partial): 9/2/13-9/20/13 (*** for performance; * for scent)
​SCS Fairway: 9/21/13-10/5/13 (**)
​Penhaligon's English Fern: 10/6/13-1/20/14 (***)
Mitchell's Wool Fat: 1/21/14-3/20/14 (***)
Simpson Unscented Soap: 3/30/14-5/12/14 (*)
Captain Fawcett's Luxurious Shave Soap: 6/13/14-7/27/14 (*)
TOBS St. James Cream: 8/1/14-8/18/14 (**)
Coate's Sandalwood Cream: 8/19/14-9/3/14 (**)
Truefitt & Hill Grafton Cream: 9/4/14-9/23/14 (**)
SCS New Spice Soap: 9/30/14-11/12/14 (**)
Provence Sante Green Tea: 11/13/14-??????????

As I have said ad nauseum :)001_rolle), I am moving on to Provence Sante Green Tea. I haven't done a French soap in nearly 3 years, and in the 4-5 lathers I've done with this one, I know I'm in for a treat.

I am moving on to Provence Sante Green Tea. I haven't done a French soap in nearly 3 years, and in the 4-5 lathers I've done with this one, I know I'm in for a treat.

I loved everything about that soap when I tried it some years ago. Can't wait to hear your thoughts on it.

Shave 11 with the Cade. Really starting to get this soap dailed in. I love the post shave feel and didn't feel the need for an AS or moisturizer last night. The scent is still as amazing as ever too.

Last edited:
Provence Santr Green Tea is an amazing soap. I was lucky to get a free one from WCS when they were running a promotion.

Looking forward to Bob's 3017 of it.

And in keeping with the OCD topic, I have a semi-philosophical question for the hive mind:

I decided, a couple of months ago, to start alternating my soaps for 3017 treatment between artisan and big manufacturer. My question: Is Haslinger artisan or big name? I lean toward big manufacturer, but am not certain how to classify them, and I've got a puck of Sandalholz that's trying to grab my attention to get in line.

And in keeping with the OCD topic, I have a semi-philosophical question for the hive mind:

I decided, a couple of months ago, to start alternating my soaps for 3017 treatment between artisan and big manufacturer. My question: Is Haslinger artisan or big name? I lean toward big manufacturer, but am not certain how to classify them, and I've got a puck of Sandalholz that's trying to grab my attention to get in line.

They strike me as more Mom and Pop than big manufacturer. They're obviously not cooking soap on their stove, but it doesn't strike me as being on the same scale as a Valobra, Proraso or Creightons.

Big name in my opinion. I think that any soap that is internationally distributed for sale at retailers is not really a small-time hands-on operation.

Though, I feel like almost all of our soaps are more "artisanal" than the majority of the other items in our daily lives.

Though, I feel like almost all of our soaps are more "artisanal" than the majority of the other items in our daily lives.

Yeah, when you think about it, D.R. Harris is not exactly Procter and Gamble, though I don't think anyone here at B&B would consider them an 'artisan' soap.

Problem is, I agree with both Bob and Sal on both points. More Mom and Pop than the default 'big names' like TOBS, Trumpers, Harris, etc., but internationally distributed through a significant number of retailers, unlike a Tiki, Mike's, QCS, or SCS.

Ah, well, if this is the biggest problem I face today, it'll be a good day!

It is an interesting question, and I have Haslinger coming up for me in around the fall of next year. So, I looked into it a bit.

Thanks to the company link that we have listed in the B&B wiki, I found this:

• The full company name is "Haslinger Soap & Cosmetics Ltd.", except the real name is in German obviously.
  • So, they do a lot more than just shaving soaps. They have everything from massage oils, to bath salts, to lotions, etc.
  • They have been around in one form or another since 1890 (though may only have had this name sine 1949 when a guy named Haslinger bought the soap factory).
  • They have their own modern laboratory for testing and development.
  • Here's a picture of their factory in Vienna
$firma.jpg

So, actually a pretty big operation all considered. Though, if their shaving soap recipe is near to the one they used in 1890, that would be pretty neat.

It's great to have "people"! :thumbup1:

Big-Name it is. A Mike's flavor was always going to be next after the I Coloniali, but I think I'll slot in the Sandalholz right behind it.

It is an interesting question, and I have Haslinger coming up for me in around the fall of next year. So, I looked into it a bit.

Thanks to the company link that we have listed in the B&B wiki, I found this:

• The full company name is "Haslinger Soap & Cosmetics Ltd.", except the real name is in German obviously.
  • So, they do a lot more than just shaving soaps. They have everything from massage oils, to bath salts, to lotions, etc.
  • They have been around in one form or another since 1890 (though may only have had this name sine 1949 when a guy named Haslinger bought the soap factory).
  • They have their own modern laboratory for testing and development.
  • Here's a picture of their factory in Vienna
View attachment 518053

So, actually a pretty big operation all considered. Though, if their shaving soap recipe is near to the one they used in 1890, that would be pretty neat.

i have been lurking here for a few months now. Trying to figure out what to 3017 first. I currently am using a RazoRock Classic infused with Arko, and Ogalla Samples in my mugs, and will be switching to Mama Bear's Andy's Mint from Thanksgiving to Christmas. Should I switch now to the Mint and 3017 it, or start at the first of the year?

Welcome to the 3017 forum! There's no rhyme or reason for picking what to 3017. I have determined to alternate between soaps and creams. Just decided after 11 days to PIF a soap that I found gave me irritation during the shave. You can choose alphabetical order, size of the soap, order bought, price paid, etc, but you do have to choose one. Why not start with your last soap used?

Here is my update:
05-29-2014 to 06-29-2014: Mikes Barbershop- would buy again
06-30-2014 to 10-03-2014: Mitchell's Wool Fat- would buy
10-04-2014 to 10-31-2014: Coates Cream Almond-would not
11-01-2014 to 11-10-2014: Classic Shaving Rose- binned due to irritation
11-12-2014 to xx-xx-xxxx: Wilkinson Blue Bowl

Still going with Body Shop Maca Root cream. I did a face lather with my 19mm Muhle today. It got a little messy but first pass was excellent. I'll have to face lather a bit more often.

Yeah, when you think about it, D.R. Harris is not exactly Procter and Gamble, though I don't think anyone here at B&B would consider them an 'artisan' soap.

Problem is, I agree with both Bob and Sal on both points. More Mom and Pop than the default 'big names' like TOBS, Trumpers, Harris, etc., but internationally distributed through a significant number of retailers, unlike a Tiki, Mike's, QCS, or SCS.

Ah, well, if this is the biggest problem I face today, it'll be a good day!

They seem to be the "regional craft brews" of shaving products: too big to be artisan, too small to be "big brand".

Ok guys, i am going to join you with my first true 3017 after quite some time lurking!
By first true 3017, i mean a new puck from start to finish! One day left on a maca root sample and off we go with Stirling Ozark Mountain!

I get ~ 20 shaves from a Stirling sample. I also have soft water.

Week 2 of the Strop Shoppe Bay Rum and this soap is already becoming total top shelf for me. Scent, performance and especially post shave feel are all top of the class. No idea yet how long this ride will last but I'm fine with it taking a while. It's slick in a really different way. It's slick in a rich, buttery and thick way (if that makes any sense). It's not like I'Coloniali or Stirling slick where it's like your face has a teflon coating. The Strop Shoppe is a decadent kind of slickness. My mug is loving all of the moisturizing.

Top Bottom