What's new

My Guess... 3017

Asking for a title? :001_rolle

Day 5 or 6 or somewhere close with my Donkey Soap, pressed in my soap dish. It is a great soap, with a mild mint scent. Pairs nicely with my never-ending NB Signature Gel and my RR Professional Lube.

LOL! Just a funny one the Mods can throw into the rotation. I have learned to stay out of these things.

Watch what you wish for I say.

I hope to get to my puck of Arlington and the Arlington Milk in 2014.

All this Harris talk is getting to me.

It's fantastic stuff. I haven't tried the AS milk but I'd like to at some point. I also really like the Windsor. DR Harris produces some fantastic products.

The TFS Barbe Rosse is nearing its end; probably another week or ten days in it.

Now that Joe has come out with the new RR XXX, I think I'll go to my sole remaining tub of the old stuff next.

Broke through the VDH this morning. Started on 11/24, so that's only about two weeks. BUT I did use it for another week's worth of shaves testing out brushes, so I'm not necessarily murdering the soap. I am loading up a fair amount though.

I would guess maybe 2-3 more weeks with the puck. If it ends up being two weeks, along with the extra week of shaves, that would be 70 grams over 35 shaves, for 2 grams per shave, twice what I used for the Palmolive stick in a bowl. Which makes sense, considering how much longer it takes to load up the soap properly.

It's still a decent soap with a nice smell and provides adequate slickness and cushion for the shave. But there are definitely better soaps out there and probably better values when you consider how much product is required.

Using puck of Classic Shave Candy Cane my kids gave me as advent gift. Above average performance. I'm not in love with scent but my 5 year old is so I carry on. I hope I kill it by Christmas.

Using puck of Classic Shave Candy Cane my kids gave me as advent gift. Above average performance. I'm not in love with scent but my 5 year old is so I carry on. I hope I kill it by Christmas.

If you want to use it up faster, make sure to have them give it a try.

My little guys love shaving now and then and like to pick that lather and make it themselves. I give them an un-loaded Tech and they do a few passes and get to spend some time with me having fun.

Their favourite part...getting all lather up, big puffy beard and then run and try to give Mom a big kiss as she runs away screaming. Then they come back and say "it worked, I scared her"

If you want to use it up faster, make sure to have them give it a try.

My little guys love shaving now and then and like to pick that lather and make it themselves. I give them an un-loaded Tech and they do a few passes and get to spend some time with me having fun.

Their favourite part...getting all lather up, big puffy beard and then run and try to give Mom a big kiss as she runs away screaming. Then they come back and say "it worked, I scared her"

I love the idea!

^ 5 is the perfect age for it too.

I'm guessing a boy or girl would love to lather up some Candy Cane soap and spend some time shaving it off with Dad.

I have a tube of QCS Tangerine Cream (which I love too), but we save it for his shaves as it's his favourite.

Last edited:
Tabac does seem to be the most stubborn closer to the end. Like a bad actor overdoing the dying scene at an audition in the hopes of getting noticed.

I have been chugging along with SCS Woods. The first few shaves had me worried, I thought my skin my not like the soap because it seemed like I could feel some tingling from the lather, but the shaves since then have been tingle free. So, I am good to go with this soap.

The scent is perplexing, it is labelled as "woods", but I don't really recognize any of the notes. The SCS website doesn't describe scents, so I am out of luck there. I want to say that the scent is a sort of spicy cedar mix, but I feel like that doesn't quite hit the mark either....

Last edited by a moderator:
Broke through the bottom of the C&S 88 today, much faster than I expected. Fitting that it was the brush that has been doing the most damage. As far as the soap so far, lathers very nicely obviously, but the scent is far short of my expectations.

Sorry this is not allowing me to flip it or scale it down. I'll never forget my first image post.

$photo.jpg

Last edited:
I ended up only killing one sample (Mike's Barbershop) but it was a great sample. I ended up buying a tin of Mike's Barbershop, and bars of Bay Rum and Hungarian Lavender. I have this stick of Palmolive that I grated into my Old Spice mug that I then pressed a sample of Mike's Lavender on top. It smells wonderful. I expect I'll kill this around the beginning of the new year.

Arko pressed into a bowl: 4/1/2013 - 4/30/2013

DR Harris Marlborough 5/1/2013 - 6/5/2013
Speick Stick: 6/6/2013 - 6/21/2103
Samples: 6/22/2013 - 6/28/2013
AoS Lavender (Tallow): 6/29/2013 - 8/25/2013
Samples: 8/26/2013 - 9/4/2013
Current Formula Williams: 9/5/2013 - 9/10/2013 (Shower Duty)
NOS Old Spice: 9/11/2013 - 12/2/2013
Samples: 12/3/2013 - 12/8/2013
Palmolive stick: 12/9/2013:

My Arko in wooden bowl is almost gone now. I broke through the bottom last week and since then I can see less and less soap with each soap. I think it won't last until the end of the week.

I'm going to have a go at using up my soaps one at a time. I currently have about a week left on a puck of DR Harris Arlington. I love the scent :001_tt1:, but in my experience, the lather is not as thick and rich (or effortless) as other favorites. After 3 years of traditional shaving, my favorite soaps so far are Palmolive stick and QCS Sandlewood "croap". I am going to inventory my soaps tonight and decide which one to start my journey. Right now I am thinking of trying out my puck of Tabac. It is almost universally praised for its lathering, if not the fragrance. I have noticed that others turn to Tabac during the cold winter months. I am looking forward to joining you all!

Top Bottom