What's new

My Guess... 3017

Still working through the Musgo Real Oak Moss - I'm not loading it like I hate it since I like it and due to price I probably won't be restocking in the future. That paired with my trusty old Muhle R41 and a new KAI blade has made the shaves effortless and smooth.

I have around 30 grams of the TOBS Cedarwood cream left in the tub. I have been loading it extra heavily to try and finish it before October. I thought I was in good shape, but it appears that it may be close. I might even have to start my Tabactober a day or two late.

I still love the scent, so I will probably restock this in the future. However, when I next buy TOBS cream it is going to be another scent. Perhaps I will get Jermyn Street or Eton College. I also think I will try to make the next tub last a bit longer than I have with this one. Although, I have been getting some really thick, slick lather at my current usage it does feel a bit wasteful.

Yeah, that's one thing I don't get about some guys here. Yes, 3017ing a soap to clear the pantry is a good thing. Actively wasting it by using way too much product is just dumb (unless you really don't like the soap and just want it gone. In that case, I recommend putting it in the shower).

Yeah, that's one thing I don't get about some guys here. Yes, 3017ing a soap to clear the pantry is a good thing. Actively wasting it by using way too much product is just dumb (unless you really don't like the soap and just want it gone. In that case, I recommend putting it in the shower).

I'd rather load extra product every time and have extremely consistent lather than worry about wasting some of the lather. I'd probably worry more if I was buy SMN, XPEC, etc., but my most expensive soap is probably $25 (B&M).

I make sure I load enough to get through my shave and have some for my face during clean up of hardware. Yes, I probably rinse a pass worth down the drain, but I make sure I don't have to reload during the shave.

I don't waste on purpose but I don't skimp. I prefer my lather thick and creamy. I also refuse to squeeze lather out of the brush for shaving and reserve that for the post shave routine.

At $5 a puck, I don't worry about wasting a pass or two worth of product.

What is this thing...this..."using way too much product"? Did I come to the wrong forum? This is B&B isn't it? :lol:

Load it like you hate it.

I make sure I load enough to get through my shave and have some for my face during clean up of hardware. Yes, I probably rinse a pass worth down the drain, but I make sure I don't have to reload during the shave.

I don't waste on purpose but I don't skimp. I prefer my lather thick and creamy. I also refuse to squeeze lather out of the brush for shaving and reserve that for the post shave routine.

At $5 a puck, I don't worry about wasting a pass or two worth of product.

+1. I load the crap out of it. I don't consider it wasting product since I get a measure of enjoyment out of a ton of nice lather. That and a well honed straight makes for a most luxurious shave. That and I absolutely hate going back to the puck and flat out refuse to squeeze lather out of my brush for the last pass. Spoils the shave for me.

Since this seems pointed at me (at least in part), I guess I will respond...

First, saying something is "just dumb" comes off to the reader (i.e. me) as bordering on ungentlemanly. I ask that you please consider using different wording in the future, Thank you.

Second, am I being wasteful? Perhaps. However, it is my money and my choice, and it is giving me fabulous, consistent, luxurious performance. Also, I want this cream (which wouldn't be good for shower duty) gone by the end of the month if possible. If I didn't have a deadline that I want to achieve (which I don't most of the time), I wouldn't be using it quite as heavily, but would still be hate loading it. :biggrin1:

What is this thing...this..."using way too much product"? Did I come to the wrong forum? This is B&B isn't it? :lol:

Load it like you hate it.

+1

I guess you could say I am loading it like I hate its entire family. :laugh:

Last edited:
+1. I load the crap out of it. I don't consider it wasting product since I get a measure of enjoyment out of a ton of nice lather. That and a well honed straight makes for a most luxurious shave. That and I absolutely hate going back to the puck and flat out refuse to squeeze lather out of my brush for the last pass. Spoils the shave for me.

+1

There is something nice about "a ton of nice lather" that makes me feel good in the morning. Also, I like the way you worded that. "Ton of nice later" is great phrasing.

I never load more than I need for the sake of wasting product. I load the brush until it looks like I have enough soap. Very rarely do I rinse a full pass worth of lather down the drain.

I too fall into the camp of loading probably more than "necessary." However, it's just soap, and ultimately comes down to a few cents here and there. I load until the brush looks nice and full of soap, then take to my face and lather up. I don't really think about it much anymore ; I would have thought that's most people's goal!

Finished off the C&S a few days ago, every shave was perfect. The last few days I tried using T&H 1805 in soap form, and it is just crap. It's going to the shower. Going to try MWF for the first time tonight.

I have one more shave left in my tube of Palmolive Rinfrescante cream. I greatly prefer it to Proraso Green. The cooling is comparable between the two, but I like the neutral Palmolive scent much more than the medicinal eucalyptus from Proraso. Lather quality of the two is comparable as well.

[MENTION=16143]beginish[/MENTION] I have never heard of this mentholated Palmolive, Bob. Looks great for the summer. Is it similar to the performance / scent of the European Palmolive cream or stick? Currently going through a stick and also enjoy the cream. I always got sub-par shaves with Proraso and the residue film was a nuisance.

@beginish I have never heard of this mentholated Palmolive, Bob. Looks great for the summer. Is it similar to the performance / scent of the European Palmolive cream or stick? Currently going through a stick and also enjoy the cream. I always got sub-par shaves with Proraso and the residue film was a nuisance.

I can't remember where I picked it up, maybe West Coast Shaving? This is Italian-made Palmolive, so I expect that its performance and scent are comparable. Unlike Proraso with the Eucalyptus scent, the menthol does not impart (to my nose) a different scent to the cream. I liked the slickness I got from the Palmolive, in addition to the cushion you expect to get from a cream.

Finished off the C&S a few days ago, every shave was perfect. The last few days I tried using T&H 1805 in soap form, and it is just crap. It's going to the shower. Going to try MWF for the first time tonight.
Good luck with the Mitchell's. I'm currently 3017ing a puck. For me the lather starts out a foamy mess, but I keep working it on my face and it turns out to be nice, slick, medium density lather.

Still working through a stick of palmolive. It's got a nice fresh scent like Irish Spring and is pretty easy to lather. Overall, a great value.
On a side note, I stopped by Merz's downtown Chicago location this afternoon after a meeting and picked up......

Absolutely Nothing!!!!!! I can't believe I did it! Am I cured? Has the need to acquire software finally subsided? Only time will tell!!

Many of you have commented about the benefit of sticking to one soap long enough to get it figured out, and then changing other variables. I've just had an eye-opening experience regarding brushes. During my three months with Arlington, I found I could not get a decent lather with either of my boars (Omega Pro 48 and Semogue 1305). I'd be a couple of minutes on the puck sometimes and still couldn't get enough soap loaded. The lather would retreat into the middle of the knot somewhere and just disappear. My Whipped Dog synthetic worked very well, though, so that became my daily go-to brush. The synthetic has worked quite well with Speick during my nearly two weeks with it, but today I pulled out the Omega. I created enough amazing thick luxurious lather to easily shave everyone on my side of the street. What a treat!

Top Bottom