What's new

My Guess... 3017

Can someone explain why klar kabinett and why it is highly regarded?
As soon as something is discontinued, everyone wants it.

It wasn't highly regarded when it was $25/lb or two, now people pay 5x that and it's the best ever.

As the great Joni Mitchell said....Don't it always seem to go, That you don't know what you've got till it's gone.

Last edited:
Ugh, change of 3017 plans. We are under a bout of "May Grey" here so instead of something with eucalyptus I switched to TOBS St. Jermyn Sensitive cream. Unfortunately, I cracked the cap of the tube beyond repair. :001_rolle

Emptied out the tube into a small sample tub. I apparently started with 39g of product. I ended up using 6g of product (oops) for this shave because I didn't gauge how it would squeeze out of the tube. Shave felt okay, but it didn't have the cushion I am used to seeing from TOBS in the tub. The matching ASB is pretty good though.

So with 33g of product left it won't last long; there's a part of me that wants to put the Shavemac 90 on it and use up all the product in a handful of shaves. I might do that as an experiment to see how much cream I need to get a really good shave from that particular brush.

Can someone explain why klar kabinett and why it is highly regarded?

It is a German rose-scented soap and, as has been mentioned, is discontinued. I picked up two packages from Bullgoose when the news first hit that is was going away. Once I stopped, took stock a few months later, and found I had years worth of soaps and a list as long as my arm of soaps I wanted to try, I PIF'ed most of it away. This was the last half bar. I'm really sorry it isn't working for me - I know from my reading of this board that it works great for a great many others. Sigh.

Next!

I finished up about 125g of the Klar Kabinett early this year. It was the easiest soap I found for lathering and provided a consistent slick lather. I just started up with about 125g of Dusy Kabinett this week. It seems to perform and smell the same. Its a soft hard soap, if that make sense. I like the scent but more importantly I love the performance. Boar, badger, horse or synthetic brushes all do great with it.

I tried the Stirling vanilla sandalwood as I love the scent and it was supposed to be a birthday shave. Alas I have the same irritation as sharp dressed man. Other samples are up for trade.

I agree with Bruce that life is too short for subpar shaves.

Used the 26mm shavemac 2 band today with the TOBS mr Taylor. Had an unbelievable shave. To the point it didn't feel like there was a blade in the razor. Had two passes with a fair amount of lather left in the brush. Skipped any lotion or balm to see the post shave feel and it's surprisingly very good.

I was not expecting this kind of performance as many people talk down creams.

Could be a honeymoon thing, but even with MdC and AOS I don't recall being this impressed off the bat.

Loading like you love it these days, Bob? :001_rolle

I don't keep records so I am not exactly sure when my current puck of MWF went into service but I am seeing some of the bottom of my ceramic dish. We are certainly making progress.

Love BP1924. Performance is as good as anything I've ever tried too. Love the ceramic bowl it comes in - perfect fit for my lathering on top of puck each morning. I'm not quite sure why it doesn't get more love around B&B, but I think of it as one of the best.

Used the 26mm shavemac 2 band today with the TOBS mr Taylor. Had an unbelievable shave. To the point it didn't feel like there was a blade in the razor. Had two passes with a fair amount of lather left in the brush. Skipped any lotion or balm to see the post shave feel and it's surprisingly very good.

I was not expecting this kind of performance as many people talk down creams.

Could be a honeymoon thing, but even with MdC and AOS I don't recall being this impressed off the bat.

Creams get a bad rap, IMHO, because they're so easy to lather. I think we sometimes get into the mindset that soap is traditional, and a true wet shaver uses shave soap, not creams. Let's face it, the great houses developed creams a long time ago because there was both a want and a need for them. Creighton's has a base cream formula down pat because they've had so long to tinker with and optimize it. It's also a lot more difficult to make a true shaving cream than soap. If it were easy, we'd have lots of artisan cream makers to go along with the soap artisans. Just ask the folks at Stone Cottage Soapworks...it took them a LONG time to get their formula and processes down to make a reliable cream.

I'm as guilty as the next guy of purging my shave den of creams, but I've slowly come back to the fact that they're both good and I really like them. Coate's, TOBS, T&H, Trumpers, Claus Porto (Musgo Real), Palmolive, St. James of London, Tabula Rasa, Stone Cottage....you name it. They are all in my den or have been very recently. Besides, if you don't like the performance of the reformulated soaps, your best bet for scent and performance is the creams. I keep a tube of Trumper's Violet in my medicine cabinet for just that reason.

Creams do get a bad rap, but for me it was somewhat justified. I shied away from stocking many or keeping a bunch on hand with all my other soaps as I was afraid they'd spoil...and for me, they did. It was very disappointing.

I had two very expensive products turn on me, turn into pretty much liquid. CF Lavender and Pens BB.

Once I get my rotation of soaps down to pretty much Haslinger and a few unobtanium special occasion soaps, I'll still use a cream here and there. They are fantastic lathering products, have stronger scents (as you said). The ones I'll continue to use and enjoy will be NB Signature, Proraso Blue and GFT Coconut. These three products are as good as anything I've ever used.

My LASS Woody Lavender is holding on pretty well. I started it on April 1st and I'm probably not even half done with it. Although part of that is from me being sick the past couple weeks and just not having the energy to shave every morning. My average of only missing 2 shaves a year since 2012 is shot now :(

The TOBS performance today makes me wonder if it's the product being very good or if my soap lathers aren't up to par. I would be disappointed if it were the latter, considering I've been wet shaving a few years and have been pretty obsessive about this stuff.

If I do end up enjoying the TOBS product, I will make it a point to pick up some Proraso Blue (LONG overdue to try it) as well as some DR Harris creams. Arlington continues to be my favorite scent in wet shaving, but the soap performance was disappointing. If the cream is even a good performer, it's worth it. Plus I want to try the other scents in that family.

The TOBS performance today makes me wonder if it's the product being very good or if my soap lathers aren't up to par. I would be disappointed if it were the latter, considering I've been wet shaving a few years and have been pretty obsessive about this stuff.

If I do end up enjoying the TOBS product, I will make it a point to pick up some Proraso Blue (LONG overdue to try it) as well as some DR Harris creams. Arlington continues to be my favorite scent in wet shaving, but the soap performance was disappointing. If the cream is even a good performer, it's worth it. Plus I want to try the other scents in that family.
FWIW I've found DRH creams to perform almost identically to TOBS.

Regarding cream vs. soap, I went down a rabbit hole with soap mostly because the artisan variety is huge, where only a few cream bases exist so the variety is mostly in scent. That soap variety can result in some extra work but extra payoff if you find the right one for you (am I right, Bruce?) There is nothing wrong with Proraso or TOBS cream performance, that's for sure and I look forward to getting back to them in my 3017.

That soap variety can result in some extra work but extra payoff if you find the right one for you (am I right, Bruce?) .

No doubt...and it all started with a generous 3017 that found it's way to me.

Just another one of the many reasons this is the best thread ever. :thumbup1:

I'll try creams again in a couple years, but the main thing for me is that I never found them to produce a slick lather that provided a nice slippery surface even after you had made a pass (read protective). I've used DRH, T&H, TOBS, Speick, and Musgo. Speick came the closest to what I would consider a good lather.

If you are going to take to creams, the biotique bio palmyra shaving cream is must try in my opinion.

http://www.badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=332691

I'm out of 3017 for a while.
The call for variety is just too strong and I found I was getting bored or even turned off by the end of a puck.
I think the killer was RR XXX. I loved that the moment I opened it. By the end I couldn't stand the scent at all.

The best thing I got from this was learning how to dial in a soap, and just how good a soap can be when it is dialed in. That is a lesson I will never forget.

A la prochaine!

Wow, the Biotique is cheap, too! I also need to try Nancy Boy cream at some point in time.

The other nice part about creams is that there aren't 5,000 artisans. Just a handful of classics.

Nothing beats randomly lathering soaps at 11pm because you're bored though!

Top Bottom