What's new

My Guess... 3017

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
Over the course of the last year I have been concentrating on using and finishing product. I have been going through aftershaves, colognes and shaving creams and sold off most of the excess. But the soaps... well, I just like them all and don't want to unload them. Over the last several months I have been using mainly Pre de Provence and C&E Sandalwood with an occasional SCS soap thrown in for good measure. ( 1 SCS I finished and have about 1/2 of another remaining.) Seriously, I have barely put a dent in these soaps. (I know in comparision to some of you hoarders collectors my collection is quite modest. :yesnod: )

My best guess... they should be done by 2017. That's approximately 2,555 shaves. Then, once they are all done, I'll use that NOS Old Spice soap sitting in my shave closet that I have been wanting to try. :001_rolle

FYI - In the unmarked bowl is Floris JF.
full

Since the beginning of the year I have used nothing but the C&E Sandalwood. I am just beginning to notice an indentation on the soap. I am tempted to use it solely until it is finished.

The Chubby 1 Best and Rooney 3/1 Super are the two brushes in my collection that can really eat up a cake of soap.

Attachments

• upload_2017-9-16_14-44-14.png
    upload_2017-9-16_14-44-14.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 366
Last edited by a moderator:
That's a very fine collection of soaps, Bob -- all top shelf for sure. I am also attempting to boil down my rotation to my 10 or 12 favorites, and just about everything that made my cut is represented in your collection (although you have several that I have not yet tried) -- except for the C&E, which I liked, but ultimately did not love. It was the last soap to be cut from the squad.

I'm curious: are you deliberately trying to use up the C&E first to get it out of the way, or are you just having a little tryst with it? You're making me second guess my decision to let it go! :wink:

Enjoy!

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
except for the C&E, which I liked, but ultimately did not love. It was the last soap to be cut from the squad.

I'm curious: are you deliberately trying to use up the C&E first to get it out of the way, or are you just having a little tryst with it? You're making me second guess my decision to let it go! :wink:

Enjoy!

I think that sums it up best. Although it provides a nice cushion (and I have always enjoyed the C&E Sandalwood scent) I think it ultimately comes up a little short on overall slickness. However, with that being said, I didn't think it deserved the heave-ho but upon completion (some time in early 2011 :wink: ) I don't think it will be replaced.

Sir, you appear to be completely out of both Tabac and Williams. How did you let this happen?

Also not pictured is a jar of Tabac, a stick of Irisch Moos (I prefer the Moos over the Tabac) and a stick of Mennen Shave soap. Also the only glycerin soap I have is a stick of QED Lemon and Cedarwood (which I usually take with me when traveling.)

Believe it or not, I have never tried Williams. Really, how did that happen? :biggrin:

Last edited:
Very nice. Are you going to try and stick with one or two soaps and use them to completion and then pick another one or two soaps to replace them?

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
Very nice. Are you going to try and stick with one or two soaps and use them to completion and then pick another one or two soaps to replace them?

I think that is the plan Shawn. I intend on using the C&E and the Pre de Provence for the majority of my shaves until they are done allowing of course for the occasional dalliance with Pen's English Fern or DR Harris Lavender amongst others. :smile:

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
If I had to choose I would walk away with Pen's English Fern, DR Harris Lavender, Trumper's Lime and T&H Luxury Soap.

I could struggle and get by on those.

I think that is the plan Shawn. I intend on using the C&E and the Pre de Provence for the majority of my shaves until they are done allowing of course for the occasional dalliance with Pen's English Fern or DR Harris Lavender amongst others. :smile:

I have been thinking of doing something similar to that.

If I had to choose I would walk away with Pen's English Fern, DR Harris Lavender, Trumper's Lime and T&H Luxury Soap.

I could struggle and get by on those.

I could see how that could be tough :wink:

My best guess... they should be done by 2017. That's approximately 2,555 shaves. Then, once they are all done, I'll use that NOS Old Spice soap sitting in my shave closet that I have been wanting to try.

Do you think you will replace any of these soaps before you use them all and get to the NOS Old Spice? If a re-formulation were to occur to any of your currently available soaps would you try to stock up or just move on to something else sometime in 2017?

I think that sums it up best. Although it provides a nice cushion (and I have always enjoyed the C&E Sandalwood scent) I think it ultimately comes up a little short on overall slickness. However, with that being said, I didn't think it deserved the heave-ho but upon completion (some time in early 2011 :wink: ) I don't think it will be replaced.

I didn't dislike the C&E SS -- I just didn't like it as much as EF, MWF, AOS, CADE, Arlington or Tabac, and I arbitrarily determined that I needed to cut it down to 6 soaps.

Other than the EF, I have back ups for everything. :blush:

What?! No Mama Bear's! Your collection is seriously lacking. You need to add 8-10 of her soaps to take you out to 2025 at least. :001_tongu

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
What?! No Mama Bear's! Your collection is seriously lacking. You need to add 8-10 of her soaps to take you out to 2025 at least. :001_tongu

I don't use glycerin soaps anymore. I have used MB's Aged Spice and thought it was a good soap.

Still going on the Crabtree & Evelyn Sandalwood. I strayed once to use the Old Spice shave soap.

The puck of C&E Sandalwood is now concave. I still think it has a good 2 to 3 months to go. :eek:

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
After today's shave, I noticed that the bottom of the wood bowl is starting to show. This soap has been in the everyday rotation since some time mid-December up and through today (with a couple of exceptions).

full

full

The journey to finish a triple-milled soap continues. :001_rolle

Last edited by a moderator:
I've had my C&E Sandalwood going on two years now. Granted, it's been in a healthy rotation with lots of other stuff, but I just feel like it'll never finish!

Top Bottom