What's new

My Guess... 3017

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
proxy.php

The recipe says it makes 24, but where's the fun in tiny cookies?

I had two duds in a row that I discontinued. I "almost" feel like I failed 3017ing them, but there are much better soaps out there, and if it doesn't work for you, why suffer through them? It wasn't a "one lather" test, so I feel that I gave it a reasonable shot.
Bin the soaps and move on. Feel no remorse.

Thank you so much for the kind words.

I can't seem to have consecutive quality shaves with Cella. I fear tomorrow may be my last day with it.

I am so sorry to hear that Bruce. Cella was one of my first soaps I ever tried and really thought it was a fine soap ( Cella is Bella ).I'm hoping to use it again one day.

you know being married to an Italian girl makes me partial to Italian soft soaps, but YMMV. lol

dang too bad the MWF isn't working out for you. I guess I've been lucky. I just got mine in the mail and it's been a pleasure. It's lathered like a beast the four times I've tried it out. I think I only loaded for 15 seconds and then face lathered it. for me I can see why its top notch. If anything you can try to add more water, this thing seems to be able to take quite a bit of water.

I'm fine with it. I have a bunch of soft soaps I know worked for me like RazorRock, QCS, Vito's.

It isn't a terrible soap for me but it's nowhere as good as some of the others. If it doesn't impress me in a week, it probably won't get any better.

I just tried both lathering upside down as well as lathering on the puck. The latter won't work because I have no control over the water and it was a foamy mess. The former seemed to work well but don't know if it was the method or the Thater brush.

Tomorrow I will take a break and use some NOS AOS Sandalwood (thanks Darren). Test lather was fantastic and smelled just like the cream with a bit of clay.

1. beginish, Scented
2. Brianw, scented
3. ruckin, Fougère
4. strop, Fougere
5. jeffj, 1 oz Scented, 1 oz Fougère (samples)

AoS tallow is seriously good stuff.
Are you doing a 3017 with it, or just playing around with it?

I'm excited to get to mine but have at least one other product in line first and have been wanting to clear out my samples too. Maybe I'll break it out for a weekend shave.

Does anyone know, is longevity significantly different than the soft soaps like Razorock? Obviously it's a hard soap vs a croap, but wondered if there were numbers out there from the same 3017'er to compare.

I'm excited to get to mine but have at least one other product in line first and have been wanting to clear out my samples too. Maybe I'll break it out for a weekend shave.

Does anyone know, is longevity significantly different than the soft soaps like Razorock? Obviously it's a hard soap vs a croap, but wondered if there were numbers out there from the same 3017'er to compare.

I believe that they take about twice as long for most folks. I would say that average usage for croaps is some where between 1-2 grams while average usage for hard soaps is around 1 gram.

My first impression was that it wasn't super hard like Mitchell's or Tabac but it wasn't a soft soap, it was a little malleable. My usage with hard soaps is around 1.5g per shave or so and soft are around 2.5g. AOS might be in the middle maybe?

I scored a 3-pack from eBay. I've used it once and it only took once to realize the awesomeness of this soap. I'm currently 3017ing D.R. Harris Marlborough, but with the samples and other soaps I've had coming in, I haven't been able to stick to the Marlborough for very long at a time. I'm a 3017 poser at the moment.

I may 3017 a single puck of AoS tallow, but none of it will be grated or wasted in any way. It's simply that good IMO. Jarick said it best. It's a malleable hard soap. Definitely not soft.

At first, the Marlborough scent was intriguing and very masculine, but I've tired of it pretty quickly. I adore the subtle sweetness of the AoS Sandalwood. In terms of performance, AoS tallow wins hands down. I bought 3 different pucks of Harris based on this thread (I've read it cover to cover) and, unfortunately, my mileage has varied. Harris beats Mitchell's like a red-headed stepchild, but it has nothing on most artisan soaps IMHO.

I've been spoiled by artisan soaps. AoS tallow is the first mass-produced soap that has been able to give artisan soaps a run for their money. Harris isn't bad, but I "suffer" with it until my next artisan encounter. Arlington is a world-class scent, but I may be PIFing all of my Harris very soon.

I've got some too, my questions stem from trying to decide if I should hoard more of it while the getting is good on eBay.

The answer to that is no, I shouldn't, but it's hard to convince myself. The hype is legendary and the current price is reasonable.

I did a test lather with it that turned into a test shave one night. It certainly did well but it wasn't mind-blowing for me. After I get it dialed in that may change.

Last edited:
Top Bottom