What's new

My Guess... 3017

Is Mike's Vetiver a dark earthy vetiver or a sweeter vetiver?
It's darker than Satan's soul. It's VERY earthy. Imagine going in the woods after a rain, finding a pile of leaves/dirt/moss/etc and sticking your face right in it. Then double that.

It's darker than Satan's soul. It's VERY earthy. Imagine going in the woods after a rain, finding a pile of leaves/dirt/moss/etc and sticking your face right in it. Then double that.

Yep, exactly right. It smells like stuffing your face in a pile of wet leaves. I wasn't so sure of the scent when I started on it, but I have to say that I've grown to like it.

Still doing the Speicktember thing. Very enjoyable soap. Makes great lather everyday. So far in my journey, this is the first non-Italian soap that I really like and have used twice already. There is a very good chance that I will be doing Speicktember next year again!

32 lathers into this soap. 30 days so far. It started as a puck sized like the first photo. I put it in the container and it pretty much filled it.
$uploadfromtaptalk1411304692229.jpg$uploadfromtaptalk1411304705166.jpg$uploadfromtaptalk1411304717925.jpg
As you can see, it is down perhaps 1/2" in the container (fwiw-that container originally held a Tiki puck) I'm not sure if the soap will go another month, but it might.
This soap was made by B&B member @sliceoflife

Last edited:
24 May 2013 - 22 June 2013: DR Harris Arlington
23 June 2013 - 18 July 2013: DR Harris Arlington/CO Bigelow
19 July 2013 - 22 July 2013: SCS Bay Rum sample
23 July 2013 – 26 July 2013: Barrister and Mann Seville sample
27 July 2013 – 3 September 2013: RR KotC Lime
4 September 2013 – 27 September 2013: Stirling Anise
28 September 2013 – 30 September 2013: Stirling Lavender Sage sample
1 October 2013 – 15 October 2013: RazoRock Chianti Lavender
16 October 2013 – 7 November 2013: RazoRock XXX
8 November 2013 – 9 December 2013: 2 grated La Toja sticks
10 December 2013 – 28 December 2013: Stirling Scot's Pine
29 December 2013 – 7 January 2014: DR Harris Windsor (paused)
8 January 2014 – 31 January 2014: Proraso Red/Synergy Cavendish(paused)
1 February 2014 – 3 April 2014: DR Harris Windsor (resumed)
4 April 2014 – 14 April 2014: RR Boston Tea Party
15 April 2014 – 17 April 2014: SCS Fairway
18 April 2014 – 21 May 2014: Speick
22 May 2014 – 24 May 2014: B&M Solstice sample
25 May 2014 – 30 May 2014: Strop Shoppe Rosemary Mint
31 May 2014 – 12 June 2014: Mike's OCBP
13 June 2014 – 22 June 2014: CF Lime
23 June 2014 – 9 July 2014: PannaCrema Namaste
10 July 2014 – 23 July 2014: PannaCrema Fumo di Londra (paused)
24 July 2014 – 20 September 2014: Palmolive and HTGAM Barberpole

The Palmolive is done. At some point I also started a tin of HTGAM Barberpole, which is also done. I forgot to update the list so they're both in there. I'm going to try to polish off about a half bar of Mike's Barbershop because on 1 October I am starting a tin of B&M Hallows. I hope to be able to start on 1 October and finish on Halloween. After that I think I'm going to go back to the Proraso Red and HTGAM Cavendish. We'll see what happens after that. The journey continues...

As of this morning, after 50 great shaves, the Proraso soap (green tub) is completely exhausted. Next up will be a slightly used stick of Blueness soap. I'm going to use the Omega 48 primarily, if not exclusively. It shouldn't take very long to make this one go bye-bye too.

The Palmolive is done. At some point I also started a tin of HTGAM Barberpole, which is also done. I forgot to update the list so they're both in there. I'm going to try to polish off about a half bar of Mike's Barbershop because on 1 October I am starting a tin of B&M Hallows. I hope to be able to start on 1 October and finish on Halloween. After that I think I'm going to go back to the Proraso Red and HTGAM Cavendish. We'll see what happens after that. The journey continues...

What size tin of Barberpole did you finish?

What size tin of Barberpole did you finish?
The small one. I don't remember exactly how big the puck was; 4 oz maybe? The scent was out of this world, and the performance wasn't bad but there are others which I prefer. If it came in a tallow version, though, it's possible I would never buy another soap, based solely on the scent.

Last edited:
The small one. I don't remember exactly how big the puck was; 4 oz maybe? The scent was out of this world, and the performance wasn't bad but there are others which I prefer. If it came in a tallow version, though, it's possible I would never buy another soap, based solely on the scent.

I've used several different scents from the first version of HTGAM and I thought they were all fantastic soaps. Some of the scents were not to my liking, but that's personal preference.

I've used several different scents from the first version of HTGAM and I thought they were all fantastic soaps. Some of the scents were not to my liking, but that's personal preference.
Agreed. I prefer the performance of the original Synergy to Synergy 2.0. That's not to say that 2.0 is bad because it's not; I just prefer the performance of the original.

Still shaving with the MdC. I'm not sure if it is my imagination or not, but the soap may have absorbed a little water as it seems to be getting a little softer. Still a ways to go...

Nothing huge to report as my tube of C.O. Bigelow continues to give fantastic shaves. The only shaves that were less than perfect were when I utilized the RR prototype DLC slant...the shave was not as effortless as usual but I pin that on the new razor.

Haven't seen any pics of puck progress on this thread in awhile. I'm early on in my quest to conquer a puck of Mike's so not much to see here but will post once some real progress is evident. Anyone else closing in on completing a puck and can show us?

Here's what is left of my tub of RazoRock Freedburg after about two and a half months. I seem to recall someone knocking off a RR tub in about a month. Can't understand how as I have been embracing the 3017 "load it like you hate it" approach with hungry boar brushes.

$IMG_2347[1].jpg

Here's what is left of my tub of RazoRock Freedburg after about two and a half months. I seem to recall someone knocking off a RR tub in about a month. Can't understand how as I have been embracing the 3017 "load it like you hate it" approach with hungry boar brushes.

How many shaves are in 2 1/2 months for you? This Summer I went thru a puck of RR American Blend in 33 shaves. I shave pretty much every day. I think shaving every day makes Italian croaps disappear faster because they don't have time to dry between shaves.

How many shaves are in 2 1/2 months for you? This Summer I went thru a puck of RR American Blend in 33 shaves. I shave pretty much every day. I think shaving every day makes Italian croaps disappear faster because they don't have time to dry between shaves.

I missed maybe two or three days, so call it 70 shaves in.

My RR XX soap lasted 48 shaves. I shaved everyday more or less...probably 13 out of 14 days. It was definitely softer toward the end.

Top Bottom