What's new

My Guess... 3017

I 'd never thought I'd see the day when I had just one soap in my shave den. It is a bit unnerving.
It's really just a natural extension of 3017ing. One until done. Except when you finish a soap, you have the world stock to choose from instead of some measly personal collection. Plus your new soap will be fresh with its original scent.

Bob, you do realize that if you start that Windsor without a backup in the den, you will cause all servers containing shave fora to completely wipe with military-caliber efficiency and cause them to reboot. For wetshaving enthusiasts, there will be no past, the present will be a paradox, and the future will be awash with canned goo. The entire wetshaving industry will cease to exist, and you will be responsible for Procter & Gamble finally achieving complete world domination in the absence of any contrary thinkers. This ragtag fugitive fleet is all that stands between razor burn and hope.

Are you proud of yourself now?

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
It's really just a natural extension of 3017ing. One until done. Except when you finish a soap, you have the world stock to choose from instead of some measly personal collection. Plus your new soap will be fresh with its original scent.

:thumbup1:

Bob, you do realize that if you start that Windsor without a backup in the den, you will cause all servers containing shave fora to completely wipe with military-caliber efficiency and cause them to reboot. For wetshaving enthusiasts, there will be no past, the present will be a paradox, and the future will be awash with canned goo. The entire wetshaving industry will cease to exist, and you will be responsible for Procter & Gamble finally achieving complete world domination in the absence of any contrary thinkers. This ragtag fugitive fleet is all that stands between razor burn and hope.

Are you proud of yourself now?

I feel so ashamed of myself

No, but he just saved a bunch of money on his car insurace by switching to Geico...

:lol:

My puck of AOS Lemon old formula is producing not lather but shaving cream every morning. Tabac and vintage Old Spice continue to come to mind.

My journey to use it up:
3/24/14--4/18/14 - Stirling Barbershop
4/19/14--5/10/14 - Godrej Cool Menthol
5/11/14--5/14/14 - Stirling Glacial Wintergreen (sample puck)
5/15/14--5/16-14 - homemade bay rum soap sample
5/17/14--5/21/14 - TSD SubZero sample
5/22/14--7/05/14 - Tiki Set Sail
7/06/14--8/14/14 - Stirling Spice
8/15/14--8/16/14 Saint James Mandarin & Patchouli cream - reaction of some some sort. I have to determine if I have an allergy. New stuff blooming outside so it could be that. I'll revisit after a freeze.
8/17/4-8/??/14 - St. Charles Shave SCS blend sample

Killed Calani Dubai last night. Nailed it!

On to Mystic Water Adirondack Jack. I was a bit hesitant to choose MW because I've struggled with performance in the past. I guess that now, rather than later, is best to really lock down the recipe for a great lather with this soap. I welcome the challenge :thumbup1:

---- BMiLCS 3017 Journey ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

08.20.2014 - 00.00.2014 : Mystic Water Adirondack Jack
07.23.2014 - 08.20.2014 : Calani Dubai
07.20.2014 - 07.23.2014 : *WSP Soap Test Sample (Beta)
07.18.2014 - 07.20.2014 : *Barrister & Mann Vetiver, Heather, Clary Sage
07.10.2014 - 07.18.2014 : *Proraso Green Cream
06.11.2014 - 07.10.2014 : BSBC Italian Patchouli & Bergamot
05.12.2014 - 06.11.2014 : AoS Tallow - Lemon
04.24.2014 - 05.12.2014 : Mike's Natural Soaps - Orange, Cedarwood & Black Pepper

Note: * = substantial previous use / sample / very little left
Note: bold = current soap

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On to Mystic Water Adirondack Jack. I was a bit hesitant to choose MW because I've struggled with performance in the past. I guess that now, rather than later, is best to really lock down the recipe for a great lather with this soap. I welcome the challenge [emoji106]1:

I'm working through some MW samples right now in between full product 3017's and I've found it to be one of the most persnickety products I've ever used in regards to water. However, when its right its great and the post shave and scent is always spectacular.

FWIW I've found using a very dry brush and loading a ton to be the best so far. It is the least thirsty soap I've ever used and even a few drops too much water will turn it into dissipating soup.

I will be 3017'ing a puck of bay rum in the future. One of the best scents I've come across in shave products.

Pretty terrible lather from Musgo Oak Moss this morning. First shave with the R41 that was not irritation free. I find it to be such a finicky cream. Needs tons of water, but not terribly protective once you add it. Hopefully I dial it in. Counting down the shaves till I can use soaps again.

Another great Arko shave. Somebody tell me again why we feel the need to spend so much money on soaps?

Oh that's right... not everyone enjoys smelling like a freshly polished wood table. :lol:

Another great Arko shave. Somebody tell me again why we feel the need to spend so much money on soaps?

Oh that's right... not everyone enjoys smelling like a freshly polished wood table. :lol:
What if arko offered a range of scents like TOBS...

mind blown....

Pretty terrible lather from Musgo Oak Moss this morning. First shave with the R41 that was not irritation free. I find it to be such a finicky cream. Needs tons of water, but not terribly protective once you add it. Hopefully I dial it in. Counting down the shaves till I can use soaps again.

Try squeezing it onto your fingers, smearing the cream on your face and building the lather from there. I get a more protective, slicker lather that way with creams.

Try squeezing it onto your fingers, smearing the cream on your face and building the lather from there. I get a more protective, slicker lather that way with creams.

Absolutely trying that tomorrow. It is funny that you mention this method as I was just reading through the historical section of the shave wiki and reading some of the old books listed there. One of them (the one that discusses rubber shave brushes and an unmentioned razor to end all razors) specifically recommended smearing on the face and then building the lather.

LASS Vanilla/Eucalyptus/Mint done. It offered 35 very good shaves.

The tally so far:
2.12.2013 - 12.12.2013 Arko (16 g): 9 shaves, 1.8 g per shave
1.1.2014 - 18.1.2014 Figaro (56 g): 16 shaves, 3.5 g per shave
19.1.2014 - 6.2.2014 Tcheon Fung Sing Mandarino e Spezie aroma intenso (42 g): 16 shaves, 2.6 g per shave
7.2.2014 - 21.2.2014 Palmolive stick (21 g): 13 shaves, 1.6 g per shave
22.2.2014 - 22.3.2014 Institut Karité (42 g): 23 shaves, 1.8 g per shave
23.3.2014 - 10.4.2014 Calani Tulach Ard (59 g): 16 shaves, 3.7 g per shave
11.4.2014 - 20.6.2014 Taylor of Old Bond Street Jermyn Street cream (152 g): 50 shaves, 3.04 g per shave
21.6.2014 - 20.8.2014 L.A. Shaving Soap Company Vanilla/Eucalyptus/Mint (123 g) : 35 shaves, 3.51 g per shave

Next up is TFS limited edition Oli Essenziali.

RazoRock XXX is done. Roughly 35 shaves, which is 3.6 grams per shave, far higher than anything else I've used. I'm closer to 1.5 - 2.0 grams per shave, I think.

Tough call on this soap. On the one hand, the shaves were really good, very little irritation, solid slickness levels, and the scent was pretty good. On the other, it was difficult to lather, only a handful of lathers had that nice whipped cream consistency, which made it less enjoyable, and there was a lot of product used quickly.

I really liked the older formulation of RazoRock, so I'll probably avoid buying any more (for now). I still have so much other stuff to use up.

I have a couple new brushes coming in, so I'll probably hop around to a few different products for a bit, then jump back in when I settle.

I will be 3017'ing a puck of bay rum in the future. One of the best scents I've come across in shave products.

I'd agree with you if I didn't sound like a broken record. I'd agree with you if I didn't sound like a broken record. I'd agree with you if I didn't sound like a broken record. I'd agree with you....

I'd agree with you if I didn't sound like a broken record. I'd agree with you if I didn't sound like a broken record. I'd agree with you if I didn't sound like a broken record. I'd agree with you....

"Girl you know it's..."
"Girl you know it's..."
"Girl you know it's..."

Top Bottom