What's new

My Guess... 3017

My confidence is fading...

Uh....so....a friend (in this case I use the term very loosely) gifted me a brand new, unused, unopened 1kg brick of Cella. I stare at the brick and its almost as though it is daring me...just try and 3017 ME you weakling. Has anyone ever attempted this? Any guesses on how long it would take if I use it every day without fail loading it like I hate it every morning? Are we talking a solid year, or 2? If I am able to do it will I win a prize or something, or just the deep inner-satisfaction of knowing that I am Lord and Master of Cella.

Ugh...I am toying with the idea of opening this brick January 1st and using it as my one and only soap until it is 3017'd. In fact, I might PIF all of my other soaps and creams so I am not tempted. This will require some deep meditation (or maybe medication?).

Uh....so....a friend (in this case I use the term very loosely) gifted me a brand new, unused, unopened 1kg brick of Cella. I stare at the brick and its almost as though it is daring me...just try and 3017 ME you weakling. Has anyone ever attempted this? Any guesses on how long it would take if I use it every day without fail loading it like I hate it every morning? Are we talking a solid year, or 2? If I am able to do it will I win a prize or something, or just the deep inner-satisfaction of knowing that I am Lord and Master of Cella.

Ugh...I am toying with the idea of opening this brick January 1st and using it as my one and only soap until it is 3017'd. In fact, I might PIF all of my other soaps and creams so I am not tempted. This will require some deep meditation (or maybe medication?).
I believe someone (Marco i think) stated it would take 2 years daily shaving.

I'd link you to it but tapatalk isn't conducive to this.

Last edited:
I have no reason to doubt Marco, he is the expert on all things related to life, love, and Italian shaving. A gentlman and scholar of the finest sort.

What frightens me is that while I don't believe Marco loads his soaps like he hates them. I am quite familiar with the famous "Marco method" of loading Italian soft soaps and it does use a great deal of soap. If a brick takes approx 2 years via the Marco Method I am in trouble.

Well, I have 4 months to decide.

I am chugging along and getting fantastic shaves from my sample of Stirling Blu. However - If I use a boar, I burn through a ton of product (over 4g per shave) in order to get enough shave-ready lather. On the other hand, I use ~2g per shave with a synthetic or finest/silvertip badger.

I am probably looking at only 2 or 3 more shaves left on this sample.

I've used Cella in the little red tub (and love it) but at the time I wasn't 3017ing soaps and didnt pay attention to how many shaves I got out of it. The last 2 or 3 tubs of RR soaps I went thru I used roughly 2.75g per shave. I think its safe to say I would use about the same amount of Cella. Thats a solid year, call it 14 months to cover vacations, etc. If I start Jan 1 2015 I should be finished by the end of Feb 2016 give or take a few weeks.

Feb 2016 sounds like a long way off. I suppose I could PIF all my other software and join the 2015 Gentlemans Restraint Club. Like I said...4 months to contemplate.

If you do the brick, I'd like to see time lapse photography of it disappearing. There is an app for it, I'm sure. Just leave the brick on a platter sinkside and load from there!

Actually, someone has done it before with a smaller quantity of soap and I keep kicking myself for not starting with each new puck!

First check in in a while... Still working the same puck of Dr. H Windsor since Feb 1. This thing just won't die. I am guessing i have two more weeks.

You're a better man than I, Gunga Din.
My longest run was a puck of Arlington and that took two months. I love Arlington but I was mighty tired of it by the end. No one would think less of you for carving it up into eight blocks and 3017'ing each of them with something else in between.
Then again, it would be epic.

I can't remember the guy's name or timeframe but if you read through this thread you'll see that someone did try it. He put the whole shebang into a ginormous clay mug/bowl thing and went at it at once.

The details are fuzzy now but I think it turned soupy part way through do to daily water exposure... keeping that in mind, your g/shave would likely be much higher.

Shouldn't be impossible to find if you use the thread search function.

If you can't see yourself getting through a whole kilo, maybe quarter it and go through 250 at a time, or gather 3 friends and do a Cella Race together.

I wouldn't load off the entire brick. My thought was to cut chunks off and press it in a bowl as I go along. I think that loading right from the brick would just make Cella Stew.

It might be interesting to take some time lapse photo's of the diminishing brick along with the various razors, blades, and brushes put to use.

Wow. A kilo would be epic! I've got a brick of boellis and a 5" tin of HTGAM that intimidates me. I can't even imagine a kilo. If you decide to chunk it up snd do less than a full kilo let us know. I'll try to join in with an equivalent amount if boellis.

I think most, if not all, would get sick of the same scent and soap in a kilo before it was anywhere close to being done.

I couldn't do it.

I wouldn't load off the entire brick. My thought was to cut chunks off and press it in a bowl as I go along. I think that loading right from the brick would just make Cella Stew.

It might be interesting to take some time lapse photo's of the diminishing brick along with the various razors, blades, and brushes put to use.

Yip, this is why I never really entertained the idea of giving a whole brick the 3017 treatment. At the end of the day, in practical terms, you don't so much have a brick as you have about 5 portions that originally came from a brick. This way, you can 3017 one container of Cella, then move on to the next container or another soap altogether.

Since you aren't planning on actually face lathering the whole brick, you can't look at it as one whole soap but rather 5/6 separate portions.

(Though, if you go for it, that would be pretty sweet too:thumbup:)

I've been using my QCS Cubano Breeze since Saturday. The scent is more cologne based than I am used to but it's growing on me. SWMBO likes it - that's a big plus. The performance is AWESOME! I'd only used the cream before and I liked it - I love the soap. The face feel afterwards is nothing short of incredible.

Checking in, my Stirling Frozen Tundra has been inching along since I started loading less (but still performing very well for me). Both of my last two weigh-ins showed 1.3g/shave. Overall average is 2g/shave and currently at 61 shaves from a full puck plus a little bit of a sample pressed on top.

I can see the tin shining through the center of the soap. I'm guessing I'll break through this weekend and finish within 2 weeks.

$IMAG0884.jpg

Just placed an order for some QCS samples. I was gonna go with SCS, but I needed a shampoo bar. I figured it would be a good time to try QCS for the first time. After Speicktember is over, I'll 3017 my 5 samples.

Top Bottom