What's new

My Guess... 3017

I think it is up to $60-70 with shipping, as the jars went from 170-200g (at least on paper).

He may have been asking how long they last...but since I stopped after 4 days, I am no help to answer.

If I recall, it seems the number varies, but it's somewhere around... 70 ish? Or more? $0.85 per shave?

Fairway's not doing it for me either. Terrible shaves and some of the worst irritation I've ever had. This morning's shave was painful; had I not had to go to work, I would not have shaved. Now it's on to a couple of Speick sticks grated in a bowl. Let's see how this goes.

24 May 2013 - 22 June 2013: DR Harris Arlington
23 June 2013 - 18 July 2013: DR Harris Arlington/CO Bigelow
19 July 2013 - 22 July 2013: SCS Bay Rum sample
23 July 2013 – 26 July 2013: Barrister and Mann Seville sample
27 July 2013 – 3 September 2013: RR KotC Lime
4 September 2013 – 27 September 2013: Stirling Anise
28 September 2013 – 30 September 2013: Stirling Lavender Sage sample
1 October 2013 – 15 October 2013: RazoRock Chianti Lavender
16 October 2013 – 7 November 2013: RazoRock XXX
8 November 2013 – 9 December 2013: 2 grated La Toja sticks
10 December 2013 – 28 December 2013: Stirling Scot's Pine
29 December 2013 – 7 January 2014: DR Harris Windsor (paused)
8 January 2014 – 31 January 2014: Proraso Red/Synergy Cavendish(paused)
1 February 2014 – 3 April 2014: DR Harris Windsor (resumed)
4 April 2014 – 14 April 2014: RR Boston Tea Party
15 April 2014 – 17 April 2014: SCS Fairway
18 April 2014 - ??: Speick

Wow, thats a shame Patrick. I am on the Fairway and I'm getting nothing but stellar shaves. That's why there are so many brands and types of soap!

Wow, thats a shame Patrick. I am on the Fairway and I'm getting nothing but stellar shaves. That's why there are so many brands and types of soap!

Yeah, I'm not quite sure what's going on. After I deplete some more product I may try it again.

D.R. Harris Marlborough - Shave #73

Friday Evening

Prep:
Baxter of California Daily Face Wash / warm water
Razor: GEM Flying Wing Micromatic
Blade: GEM Stainless Steel PTFE Coated SE
Brush: Omega Premium 49 Boar
Soap: D.R. Harris Marlborough
Aftershave: Dior Eau Sauvage AS Lotion / T&H Ultimate Comfort AS Balm
Pomade of the Day: JS Sloane Lightweight
Cologne of the Evening: Dior Eau Sauvage EDT

Ben

I've been away for awhile. Work has been consuming, but a man's got to shave. I worked through two samples. The first was Mike's Bay Rum, another pleasant surprise. I am one of the unusual fellas that doesn't care for bay rum AS, even though I wanted to. After using the bay rum soap, I quite enjoyed it. Mike's lather is always good. Now I'm eager to use the RR Captain's Choice Bay Rum puck that I have. I find Mike's and the Captain's Choice soap to have similar, and authentic bay rum scents.

The second sample was DRH Marlborough. Excellent lather, and it requires a bit more loading and agitation than some soaps. I'm a DRH fan and have a full puck of Marlborough, although I think my favorite is Windsor.

I have only 2-3 samples left, and I'm curious what I will select for 3017 treatment after. RR Napolean's violet, Volobra Fougere, RR Son of Zeus, RR Nonno Michelino, or Tabac. Decisions, decisions.

00/00/00 - 20130602 Conk’s Bay Rum (unknown start date)
20130620 - 20130717 RR La Famiglia Cumba Cheech [75g, 3.3g / shave]
20130731 - 00/00/00 Conk’s Lime --> bath soap
20130801 - 20131013 Body Shop Maca Root [72g, 1.4g / shave]
20131015 - 20131031 DRH Arlington (sample) [15g, 1.25g / shave]
20131108 - 20131117 Mike Barbershop (sample) [15g, 2.1g / shave]
20131118 - 20131209 *DRH Windsor (sample) [16g, 1.06g / shave]
20140114 - 20141020 Mike's Lily of the Valley (sample) [12g, 2.0g / shave]
20140105 - 20140115 RR ABCBA (sample) [24g, 3.0g / shave]
20140121 - 20140129 *RR King Louis Lavender (sample) [20g, 2.2g / shave]
20140203 - 20140304 MWF [22g, 1.1g / shave]
20140305 - 20140321 RR XX (sample) [19g, 1.7g / shave]
20140322 - 20140331 *Mike's Orange, Cedarwood, and Black Pepper (sample) [14g, 2.0 g / shave]
20140401 - 20140405 Mike's Bay Rum (sample) [12g, 2.4 g / shave]
20140407 - 20140418 DRH Marlborough (sample) [16g, 1.6 g / shave]

*Will (or would, if possible) replace

I need to dedicate a season or 2 to 3017ing samples. I like that idea. I have a drawer full. Honestly, the stirling samples (I think I have 12 or so) would take up over half a year I'd guess.

I'm still rocking along on my RR Don Marco in the spring RazoRock 3017 thread. I'm enjoying it. No complaints on the soap. Loads easy, lathers like a champ, shaves great. The soap is vanishing like magic at this point, though. It may not make it a full month. Any of you guys 3017 a 125ml la famiglia tub? 30 days or so sound about normal?

4 days into my Haslinger Sheep now, so a few preliminary discoveries:

a) It does not like heat of a scuttle and breaks down quickly.
b) Scent is kind of meh...it's not displeasing, but nothing favourable. Very light, so nothing you really notice during or after the shave.
c) Performance is top notch and slick as can be. When I try to skin stretch, I find it difficult as even the residual soap on my fingers and face is tough to grab.
d) Super easy to load and dial in. No test lathers needed for this one.

I am finding the slickness and ease of loading unreal. Also, 15-20sec of light swirling is plenty for 3 thick and creamy passes and one for my face during sink cleanup.

Last edited:
4 days into my Haslinger Sheep now, so a few preliminary discoveries:

a) It does not like heat of a scuttle and breaks down quickly.
b) Scent is kind of meh...it's not displeasing, but nothing favourable. Very light, so nothing you really notice during or after the shave.
c) Performance is top notch and slick as can be. When I try to skin stretch, I find it difficult as even the residual soap on my fingers and face is touch to grab.
d) Super easy to load and dial in. No test lathers needed for this one.

I am finding the slickness and ease of loading unreal. Also, 15-20sec of light swirling is plenty for 3 thick and creamy passes and one for my face during sink cleanup.

Couldn't agree more. The only thing I remember about this soap that wasn't a home run is the scent, which isn't bad just uninspiring. I cannot wait to dig into this puck.

Late to this thread, by a long way. I started a puck of Stirling Barbershop on March 24. I finished it last night. I estimate this at around 50 shaves/lathers because I shave my face every day and my head at least every other day - sometimes more often.

David, any clue how many shaves you got from your puck?

Not David, but I got 51 from the Coconut.

50 gram puck? Good grief!!

60g puck

I have a whole house water softener, and generally can lather about anything. I can really tell a difference sometimes when I travel!

Trust me, I am not stingy, and can always squeeze lather from my brush when done.

I think soft water makes a HUGE difference, not only in the ease of lathering some pucks but also the amount used.

Hi Jeremy- not 100% sure, but it was roughly 70 shaves. A most pleasant surprise!

My puck is now dry and 4 shaves in, I'm at 2.35g/day average....So I'll be lucky to get 30. They will all be spectacular mind you, so I'm not complaining.

I'm not overloading either, so loading until it looks ready. No more then 20sec with this stuff.

CIT is done. 9 weeks+ from 1/2 the brick. May trade the other 1/2, may use it next winter. Awesome croap.

I'm out on vacation this week so I'll be using up some T&H cream samples. Zi Peppino on deck when I return. The year of RazoRock continues.

D.R. Harris Marlborough - Shave #74

Saturday Afternoon

Prep:
Shower / Baxter of California Face Scrub
Razor: 1953 Gillette British Rocket HD
Blade: Gillette Silver Blue
Brush: Omega Premium 43 Boar
Soap: D.R. Harris Marlborough
Aftershave: Provence Sante Green Tea AS Lotion / Calani Earl Grey AS Balsam
Cologne: Provence Sante Green Tea

Ben

Has anybody in the history of B&B 3017ed any soap brick? E.g. Klar Kabinett 500g, Cella 1000g, Vitos and so on.
I am waiting for Kabinett to be delivered next week so that's why I am asking :D

I have to join in on this. I have so many soaps and creams that rotating them to use every 7-10 days means i will always have all this clutter. time to start on one and kill it off then repeat.

Welcome to the club! However, removing clutter requires two actions --- 3017'ing your chosen victim and making sure your buy rate is slower than your consume rate...

Unfortunately, I am not doing so hot on the second part.

No idea. Haven't opened the wrapper yet. Everyone talks about the Schafmilch, but how can one resist Ringelblumen? Or Meresalgen (seaweed) for that matter?
Or Coconut! Or Sage!
My posts are scratch 'n sniff. However, I don't have the marigold, just honey and schafmilch.
Did someone say Ringelblumen? I'm in!

In the homestretch of the AOS Tallow Lavender. While getting fantastic shaves, there are thoughts of what comes next and a little impatience. I broke out the Haslinger Marigold and updated the wiki, which had no pictures or measurements. I also put the puck in a twist up shaving stick.

In terms of scent, one could call it anything. It's smells like soap, has a relatively faint scent, and is different from my other soaps. Is it Marigold? No clue. Going with Ringelblumen scented.

Looking forward to starting it in a week or so.

View attachment 438537

Last edited:
Plugging along with the Manantiales. I've used enough that the brain bowl is no more and the lid fits on the dish now. Seems to be going down relatively quickly, or at least noticeably. I still haven't dialed it in perfectly but I think part of the issue is that with the dish so full I end up losing a lot of water while swirling (face latherer). It's definitely worse with the denser brushes. My best shave so far was with the Semogue 620.

Right now I'd say it's good and hopefully getting better. I also think I'm a bit spoiled by the tallow-first EF and tallow AOS.

Ben

Whoh, I haven't checked in in a while. Looks like In totally lost the 3017 thread and have replaced it with the Haslinger thread:idea:

As an update, my Haslinger is doing just fine, since I am not using it yet. My Arlington is being stubborn :cursing:Only about 55 grams left to go, but this soap is certainly not rolling over. On the up side, the Harris is giving consistently excellent shaves:thumbup:

Top Bottom