What's new

My Guess... 3017

I mush say its very nice to here the other side of the story on this Stirling soap. I have a puck waiting in the wings and a couple of samples. But have not tried them yet......but boy they sure smell grate.........

@occamsBadger

How's the Dottie shave bowl? Been thinking about upgrading the mug I've been using. It's a no name stoneware mug made in Thailand

@occamsBadger

How's the Dottie shave bowl? Been thinking about upgrading the mug I've been using. It's a no name stoneware mug made in Thailand

Those bowls do look awesome, but I have always been scared by the stated purpose of "incorporating more air into your lather."

I'm not to worried about that as it would just be used as a puck holder. Currently the soap in use goes in my mug and I load from there then face lather. Can't remember the last time I bowl lathered.

@occamsBadger

Actually, I'm using a Captain's Choice lather bowl. I think the texture you saw was the glass on the shower door.

As to the Captain's Choice bowl, I love it. The Dottie bowls caught my eye too but I''m trying to contain my AD's, not feed them.

You make a lot of good points inspiringK. I also wonder what some people call good or great lather. I've also thought that some people say a soap is good simply because its inexpensive. Catties Bubbles gets a lot of fan boy love (for the record, I'm a fan) but those soaps are some of the best I've ever used, and I get similar results every shave.
I don't think its a case where we are getting different batches of soap, I just struggle with Stirling soap. His bath soap and laundry soap are all excellent. I've watched videos of guys lathering his soap and they make it look easy, almost effortless.
I tried another artisan soap a few months ago and I was getting similar results to Stirling. Sliceoflife mentioned in a thread that the soap I was using needed a lot of water because of one of the ingredients. I tried lathering the artisan soap again, using a lot of water and I got good lather, not amazing lather just good stable lather. I'm on my phone, I'll post the ingredient later. Stirling also has the same ingredient, I wonder if I wasn't using enough water. Most of my lathers from Stirling looked like I added too much water, the lather looked like hand lotion.

The ingredient is castor oil.

If I get another 2 weeks(which I should) with the remainder, that will make it 2 months from a full tub for me. Not bad.

Ended up getting only half of that. I'm still a fledgling 3017er and am obviously terrible at judging how many shaves I'll get:biggrin1:.
$BBPNOV14.jpg

The Palmyra lasted just under 4 weeks which would translate to a month and a half from a full tub if used daily(for me). This is one of the better Indian creams I've used and one I would recommend trying without hesitation. If Biotique come out with some nicer scents for this cream in the future, I can see them doing very well even outside our country.

I've now finished a couple of shave sticks, a tubed cream and a tub of cream. Next up I'm going to use a soft soap before I challenge myself with a triple milled puck.

I'd like to share my 3017 line up of creams and soaps that I hope to complete over the next several months.
Creams:
$3017lineup1.jpg$3017lineup2.jpg

Soaps:
$3017lineup3.jpg

The photo was taken shortly after Speicktember. The Dynamite, Arko(in pyrex bowl), Haslinger Schafmilch(1/4 puck) and a tub of Palmyra have all been polished off since then.
A few back ups have not been pictured.

I've chosen to go with the Razorock KOTC lavender next. The tub is over a year old and has only had a couple of test shaves from it. The scent now is non existent but I've read that it blooms with regular use.
$razorockNOV15.jpg

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
Yesterday, the Col. Conk Bay Rum went down for the count and like Sonny Liston pictured below, it didn't take much to knock out.

10/24/2014 to 11/13/2014 - 20 days

Today, I will start a puck of AoS Sandalwood that I just picked up from the newly-opened Art of Shaving store located nearby. This is my first AoS puck with the new formulation.

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 129
I'd like to share my 3017 line up of creams and soaps that I hope to complete over the next several months.
Creams:
View attachment 518701View attachment 518702

Soaps:
View attachment 518703

The photo was taken shortly after Speicktember. The Dynamite, Arko(in pyrex bowl), Haslinger Schafmilch(1/4 puck) and a tub of Palmyra have all been polished off since then.
A few back ups have not been pictured.

:popc::popc:

Yesterday, the Col. Conk Bay Rum went down for the count and like Sonny Liston pictured below, it didn't take much to knock out.

Today, I will start a puck of AoS Sandalwood that I just picked up from the newly-opened Art of Shaving store located nearby. This is my first AoS puck with the new formulation.

It will be interesting to hear what you think of the new formulation, I can't decide whether I should give it a go or not.

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
Very nice Blue Willy lather this morning using my Omega 599 (silvertip Mighty Midget), which leads me to believe that my problem thus far with my boars comes down to not getting the right product-water ratio (i.e. user error).

I decided to take a break from artisan soap and picked up my beloved MWF. MAN, what a shave last night with the tail end of my time with the King Cobra tour. I am very excited about my 1.5 pucks of Mitchell Wool Fat - grated into a Grundtal. Oh what a month or two of shaves I will have. Nothing softens your skin more than MWF - at least for me :)

I may have to try Haslingers right after it's completion.

---- BMiLCS 3017 Journey ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

11.12.2014 - 00.00.2014 : MITCHELL'S WOOL FAT <3
10.20.2014 - 11.12.2014 : Jabonman Coco
09.09.2014 - 10.20.2014 : Panna Crema San Fransesco
08.20.2014 - 09.08.2014 : Mystic Water Adirondack Jack
07.23.2014 - 08.20.2014 : Calani Dubai
07.20.2014 - 07.23.2014 : *WSP Soap Test Sample (Beta)
07.18.2014 - 07.20.2014 : *Barrister & Mann Vetiver, Heather, Clary Sage
07.10.2014 - 07.18.2014 : *Proraso Green Cream
06.11.2014 - 07.10.2014 : BSBC Italian Patchouli & Bergamot
05.12.2014 - 06.11.2014 : AoS Tallow - Lemon
04.24.2014 - 05.12.2014 : Mike's Natural Soaps - Orange, Cedarwood & Black Pepper

Mike's is so slick that it won't even stay stuck to the bowl. It's the only soap I've used that breaks loose and won't reattach.

Gentlemen,

I have had roughly 20 shaves with Mitchell's that has been grated into a 1 cup pyrex dish (with lid) and is well hydrated. I'm just not stoked about it. Performance, for me, is meh. I have soft North Carolina water so there's no reason other than this soap is not for me. This isn't my first puck of Mitchell's, but, sadly, it will be my last.

Before throwing it on the BST, I wanted to offer this soap to any 3017er who would like to attempt to work through it. It will come in the pyrex dish as is, free of charge.

I will decide what's up next in a day or two.

Gentlemen,

I have had roughly 20 shaves with Mitchell's that has been grated into a 1 cup pyrex dish (with lid) and is well hydrated. I'm just not stoked about it. Performance, for me, is meh. I have soft North Carolina water so there's no reason other than this soap is not for me. This isn't my first puck of Mitchell's, but, sadly, it will be my last.

Before throwing it on the BST, I wanted to offer this soap to any 3017er who would like to attempt to work through it. It will come in the pyrex dish as is, free of charge.

I will decide what's up next in a day or two.

are noobs to 3017 elligible as well?

strop

Now half as wise

As much as I am a big fan of the old AOS, I 3017 a puck of the new formulation and found it quite nice. If Trumpers and TOBS had used this formula, they would have a much better rep than they have currently. Although I won't need to buy soap for a few years, I would not hesitate on this one.

Top Bottom