What's new

My Guess... 3017

Soaked the Tabac remnants for a few minutes then loaded for at least a minute, maybe more, with my giant 26mm TGN Finest. I had three great passes. There's so little surface area to work with that I have to load much longer.

I left a bit of water in the soap dish and covered it. Hopefully it will keep soft until tomorrow. I should really just keep the soap covered while using so it turns into a bit of a croap near the end but I got in the habit of drying it out.

Tomorrow it's SOC boar time aka the finisher.

Just barely broke through the bottom of the Mudder Focker this morning. There is still plenty left though; I'm guessing about another 10-14 shaves or so.

I am on the last few days of shaving with Spieck. I moved the stick into a Tabac dish a while ago and estimate that I only have 2 days left now. So, should be done by Saturday.

I am still getting some faint hints of the scent, but for the most part only the great lather qualities and that odd pink colour remain. After over a month of using this soap, I am looking forward to moving on. But I am definitely savouring every last shave with Spieck and also appreciating the great after shave feel I get with it.

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
The Haslinger Schafmilch bit the dust today.
10-1-14 to 10-23-14

This soap is very good. It provided a very slick cushion and was very easy to dial in. It was consistent throughout the time I used it.

My only downside with this soap was that it seemed to cause a bit of irritation. I don't know if it was the lanolin or what. But man, I would get some kinda of burn when applying aftershave (more so than any other time I apply a splash). It didn't reach the point where I didn't want to use the soap but I definitely would brace myself for the splash.

I think I would like to try another Haslinger and see if that changes.

For now, I may go a glycerin soap. I have not used a glycerin soap in years. I have a puck of Col. Conk Bay Rum ( which I have used in the past) going into the Seaforth cup.

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
After the mention of the Bathtub Gin, I went to the QED site and noticed the QED soap selection was very limited. Too bad. They were wonderful soaps.

I let a bit of water sit overnight on the tabac and in the morning it turned to a runny cream, kind of like snot to be honest. Loaded with the SOC boar, I got super thick lather and twice as much as normal. Maybe this is what I've been doing wrong lately.

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414167340.497812.jpg
$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414167355.230362.jpg
$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414167364.997265.jpg

One day? Two?

Great lather shot, Jarick. I've been using my Tabac for the past week now. It was in my large rotation before I started this 3017 journey a couple of years ago. My goodness but using it everyday improves it out of all expectation. [Inset Tony the Tiger voice here] It's Great!

I guess hydrating the puck and keeping it that way really, really helps.

I let a bit of water sit overnight on the tabac and in the morning it turned to a runny cream, kind of like snot to be honest. Loaded with the SOC boar, I got super thick lather and twice as much as normal. Maybe this is what I've been doing wrong lately.

Great lather shot, Jarick. I've been using my Tabac for the past week now. It was in my large rotation before I started this 3017 journey a couple of years ago. My goodness but using it everyday improves it out of all expectation. [Inset Tony the Tiger voice here] It's Great!

I guess hydrating the puck and keeping it that way really, really helps.

Yeah, I think Tabac is one of those soaps that really improves from being given the 3017 treatment. When it is neglected it can go hard and dry, making it impossible to load enough product, but when it stays hydrated the soap produces great lather easily.

I'm hoping this was the missing part for me. I've just been struggling with soap lather for months. I mean, struggling with MWF is one thing. Struggling with DR Harris wasn't fun because it's the best smelling soap I've ever used. Then I started struggling with Cella? And TABAC??? Something's wrong.

Like I said, I put everything in those plastic tubs and got in the habit of leaving the lids off, and my soap was quite dry, especially because I was rinsing off the excess proto lather between shaves. Perhaps the water was breaking down the soap not just in terms of hydration but chemically? Like changing the molecular bonds or something?

Because not only did I have a lot of effortless lather, but the lather itself was so much creamier and slicker. Before, it would go from dry to foamy. Today, it went from sticky to slick and shiny.

I was going to do a cream after this, but now I kind of want to see how this works on a soap. Don't have a ton of soaps left though. Right now, anyway.

Planning on stocking up soon as I need more blades. Obviously I have enough cream for a couple years of shaves, but I'm thinking of picking up Arlington again, maybe some RazoRock, maybe a tub of Eton College too, maybe some Proraso Blue...depends on if I'm ordering from Connaught or IB...

This is an excellent idea. i have several soaps/creams and this seems to be a fantastic way to finish them up.

i'll start with a puck of godrej shaving round. And to do the honors, I'm going to use my arsenal of omega boar brushes.

View attachment 511179

I'll grate the puck and press it into a mug. That IMO is the easiest way to load this small puck!

Last edited:
Yesterday I finished my first puck of soap even though I've tried to 3017 numerous times. It was like every time I posted on the thread, I couldn't do it!

Now I've had the taste of satisfaction from finishing a soap, I'm in this time for good!

So tomorrow I will start a brand new TFS tobacco verde. I look forward to getting to know and use this soap over the coming weeks and months.

Top Bottom