What's new

My Guess... 3017

I am two shaves in on a sample of Stirling Ozark Mountain. So far the soap is a big step up in performance over MdC for me. My skin feels better and the lather is much slicker. I find that my favorite soaps are at their best when optimal hydration leads to thick and slick rather than thin and slick. I have had great luck with Barrister and Mann, I Coloniali, IanS, and now Stirling. I plan on revisiting Mystic Water, I have yet to crack the code for consistent lather, but the single best shave I have ever had was with Mystic Water.

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
I just finished the T&H Rose and I see that you have a sample of it. Would you be open to trying that rose sample on its own? I am very interested in what you think.
I used the Rose this morning. If the other samples are like this, I will say that it lathers as easy as TOBS or Arko; exploding into a dense creamy lather with no effort at all with my B&B Essential boar (Sue) brush. Scent-wise, it is not as artificial as TOBS Rose, and more delicate like Klar Kabinett and Rose of Bulgaria. A very nice cream, to be sure.

I am struggling with Cella. Tho not in a bad way. I'm a few weeks into Cella and after getting the water ratio / brush nailed down I am finding equal performance to Mikes (one of my favorite artisans), and it lathers faster. I never expected this. I have used Cella many times over the years, but never more than a couple times in a row. Just as part of a rotation. I always thought it was good...not great.
I've changed my mind, its an excellent performer for me. I also like being able to easily press it into any container I like. The winning combo for me seems to be a used Mikes tin, and any old basic boar brush. The B&B essential I am using now works great. 15 seconds of fast swirls and I get a great shave every time.

So my struggle with Cella is that I really thought of it as an mid-level soap and would have never considered it on par with the likes of Mikes. Sure wish I hadn't pif'd that brick.....:001_huh:

Cella was the first Italian soft soap I tried and I loved it. It is what started me on my love affair with Italian soaps. :blushing:

I'm still going with my MdC. I am getting nice lathers and fine shaves. My only problem is now that it has gotten very cold (we broke a 100 yr record low yesterday), it is leaving my face extremely dry. I usually don't use a balm, only aftershave, but today I had to add some RR Aftershave Wax to help my face recover from my shave.
For me, MdC is NOT a very good winter time soap. I will keep using it until it is gone, but I don't think I will re order this one.

Great shave with some SCS this morning. I noticed right after I started it that Brianw posted his shave log and then Beginish posted about it. I really haven't heard much about SCS overall here, but it seems to be pretty nice stuff. I think it is a bit thirsty, but other than that, it gets great lather. I know it used to have a good following here, but seems to be overshadowed by Arko, Cella, Cade, Williams as well as Stirling, RazoRock, and a lot of other newer artisans.

Seeing how Brian and Bob are both using it, and they are both experienced moderator types, I'm beginning to think there is a conspiracy theory to remove SCS threads so that no one else buys it and that leaves more for them. :sneaky2:

Last edited:
Seeing how Brian and Bob are both using it, and they are both experienced moderator types, I'm beginning to think there is a conspiracy theory to remove SCS threads so that no one else buys it and that leaves more for them. :sneaky2:

Now that may be Bob... I wield no power here... just a regular member like youse !!!

Well I have an update, I know its been a while!

09.08.201105.21.2012Tallow AOS soap LemonPremo!
07.02.201210.07.2012DRH Arlington*NOT finished on hold for the winter
10.08.201207.17.2013Tallow AOS SandalwoodPerfecto!
07.18.201312.24.2013DRH Arlington*Winner winner
12.26.201305.21.2014QED SandalwoodEnd of an Era
05.22.201410.29.2014Tallow Pens FernSmall carry over to new puck
10.30.201400.00.2015Tallow Pens Fern

Started another puck of the Tallow fern. I dropped it on top of a couple weeks worth of the last soap as it was breaking up and I would not like to waste any of it!

I thought I would check in: still getting lovely shaves with my Pens Tallow Fern. I was out of town for 5 weeks and had planned on bring my Fern with me but forgot it. I used my travel Valobra stick which is another super soap. I used a ton of it with the hard water I found there. Tally ho!

I have started to PIF some of my Cella but your experience is why I haven't unloaded all of it.

Weren't you having a reaction to Cella? Or was it more of a performance issue? I don't use a scuttle so heat might be an issue for you? I face lather Cella so I don't use a great deal of heat. The process I use for Cella(I have a water softener);
- A teaspoon of warm water on Cella (pressed into a Mikes tin) before showering. Also soak boar brush in warm water.
- Shake excess water out of brush (4 or 5 shakes).
- Fast swirls for 15 or 20 seconds.
- Sprinkle a few drops of water on the brush, dampen face, and face lather.
- Usually have to add a few drops of water to brush before each pass.

Seems to work great. Excellent protection, noticeably more slickness than Mikes, lather holds up well. Not a heavy "Hollywood" lather, but very effective. Also isn't as drying as some soaps. I wouldn't rank it with Haslinger which for me is the best of the best, but its right up there with the other excellent soaps I've used.

I was going to hit some Haslinger starting March 1, but I have a 150g chunk of Valobra almond soft soap I'm going to use next instead of the Haslinger. I'd like to see how Valobra croap compares to Cella.

Weren't you having a reaction to Cella? Or was it more of a performance issue? I don't use a scuttle so heat might be an issue for you?

The Red Tub was giving me a bit of irritation from what I remember. The resent attempt at the brick was used non-scuttle (dry brush scuttle just used to house brush and catch drippings) and it was performance.

I was getting good slickness but was still getting some irritation and weepers. It could have just been from bad shaves but soap is easiest to blame.

Great shave with some SCS this morning. I noticed right after I started it that Brianw posted his shave log and then Beginish posted about it. I really haven't heard much about SCS overall here, but it seems to be pretty nice stuff. I think it is a bit thirsty, but other than that, it gets great lather. I know it used to have a good following here, but seems to be overshadowed by Arko, Cella, Cade, Williams as well as Stirling, RazoRock, and a lot of other newer artisans.

Now that may be Bob... I wield no power here... just a regular member like youse !!!

:whistling:

Top Bottom