What's new

My Guess... 3017

I received it as a grated sample. I smushed it together into a smallish puck and tried to use it that way, but it keeps breaking apart and I have to reform it almost every day.

This is the 3rd grated sample I have tried and I guess I'm just not cut out to use them. None of them have worked well for me. Just broken and fallen apart each time.

Have you used a little water when pressing the sample into your mug/bowl/container? I have had pretty good luck adding a little water while reforming and then allowing the new puck to dry for a few days before lathering.

I received it as a grated sample. I smushed it together into a smallish puck and tried to use it that way, but it keeps breaking apart and I have to reform it almost every day.

This is the 3rd grated sample I have tried and I guess I'm just not cut out to use them. None of them have worked well for me. Just broken and fallen apart each time.

I realize it could compromise your method, but would it help to load with less water in your brush?

The Fat just keeps getting better.
A small splash of warm water on the puck before my shower each morning and it has now almost grown to fill the MWF dish. This really is a soap which benefits from regular use and hydration.

Have you used a little water when pressing the sample into your mug/bowl/container? I have had pretty good luck adding a little water while reforming and then allowing the new puck to dry for a few days before lathering.

I've tried that and it helps some, but usually only lasts for a day or so. Then when it dries out, it starts to crumble again.

I realize it could compromise your method, but would it help to load with less water in your brush?

It might be worth experimenting with. Thanks for the idea. I normally soak my brush during my shower and shake it couple times before loading. Maybe I'll try shaking it dryer.

I finished my puck of Haslinger Schafmilch, finally: 49 shaves! From what I understand, that's way more than most people are getting. I was conservative at first, but I still had more than enough lather for three passes with each shave. It's great stuff.

I've enjoyed the 3017 experience. I think I said something in my last post on this thread about using Mystic Waters for my next 3017 experience so I could finally dial it in. Maybe in a while. I've been missing my usual rotation.

I'm coming right along with my Mickey Lee Cocoa Maya. I had my 10th shave today with it and the lathers have been great every single time.

I'm guessing it will be finished around 42 shaves.

It. Is. Done.

My 3017 journey with a tub of Truefitt & Hill Rose shaving cream has come to an end. It lasted 114 shaves (ironically, the same as my tub of AOS Sandalwood shaving cream). I have spoken in several threads about the wonderful scent --- Truly authentic and one that I much prefer from the 3T's. While the strength is medium/strong sniffing directly from the tub, it loses quite a bit of intensity while lathering/shaving. Performance-wise, it's about average which is a surprise considering the sample I tested a few years ago was much better. Now for the the big question: Would I repurchase? Probably not --- While I really enjoy the scent, there is nothing else spectacular about it. The bar has been raised several times in the past year or so due to the proliferation of new artisans that I have no qualms about passing on "good/very good" products. I will admit that the tub itself is a keeper and I will re-purpose to hold soap pucks.

Stars (out of 5):

Performance ***
Scent ****

In terms of data and numbers:

Tub weight --- 73g
Cream weight --- 156g
# of shaves --- 114
Grams used per shave --- 1.37g
Cost per shave --- $.26

Next victim:

New puck of Barrister & Mann Bay Rum soap

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
Looks like a bunch of us are finishing a product within a day or two of each other :thumbup1:

Tomorrow will be my last shave with the Dr Dittmar. Counting tomorrow, it will have provided 59 days of great mornings to me. As for replacing, well, I have way too much stuff to work through before getting around to it, but the short answer is "yes, I like it a lot"

After tomorrow's shave, the dozen cream samples I received as part of the Mr Bingle Secret Santa will all be plopped into the same bowl for consumption.
proxy.php

Last edited:
After tomorrow's shave, the dozen cream samples I received as part of the Mr Bingle Secret Santa will all be plopped into the same bowl for consumption.
proxy.php
Really? I think you should do one shave with each sample then put the remainder into the bowl so you would be familiar with each scent of your frankencream.

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
I'm pretty sure I won't be buying any of these creams. If I do buy creams, they would be Proraso, Speick, or Rose of Bulgaria.

and besides, ...... me likey soaps. :tongue_sm

Looks like a bunch of us are finishing a product within a day or two of each other :thumbup1:

Tomorrow will be my last shave with the Dr Dittmar. Counting tomorrow, it will have provided 59 days of great mornings to me. As for replacing, well, I have way too much stuff to work through before getting around to it, but the short answer is "yes, I like it a lot"

proxy.php

I just finished the T&H Rose and I see that you have a sample of it. Would you be open to trying that rose sample on its own? I am very interested in what you think.

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
Okay, okay, I'm outnumbered :lol: Cream samples will be worked through one at a time, starting with the Rose (just for Mike :tongue_sm )

Well, here's what is left of my Irisch Moos sample. It's about the size of a dime.

Does anything think I can get one more shave out of it?
The last two lathers have been pretty thin.

Top Bottom