What's new

My Guess... 3017

You are correct in my Sandalwood stance. I've only smelled a few, but they were polarizing ones....Proraso and TOBS. The Haslinger is very light and manly to my nose.

I haven't smelled Haslinger, but you should check out an Art of Shaving store if there's one near you - it's an awesome sandalwood that is milder than the two you refer to. If you like the scent, buy some of that NOS tallow soap off the internet!

Your love of Haslinger has me thinking about getting some to try out; meanwhile, thanks to brianw I traded with someone for some SCS samples,

I haven't smelled Haslinger, but you should check out an Art of Shaving store if there's one near you - it's an awesome sandalwood that is milder than the two you refer to. If you like the scent, buy some of that NOS tallow soap off the internet!

Your love of Haslinger has me thinking about getting some to try out; meanwhile, thanks to brianw I traded with someone for some SCS samples,

I have 3 pucks of AOS tallow sandalwood soap and a puck of the AOS reformulated sandalwood. I also have the AOS sandalwood EDT. Awesome stuff all around but definitely stronger in the scent department than Haslinger. AOS has other notes in the scent as well which really smooth it out and make it a pleasant fragrance, IMO.

No AOS store near me up here. I saw the AOS pucks on eBay but don't want to buy 3 pucks of vintage soap and get hooked on it and then not be able to get it.

I'm good with Haslinger which is currently made and available for cheap. I still wouldn't consider Sandalwood a scent I would want to stock up on or put in my den, but this one is enjoyable out of the wrapper. I still haven't shaved with it.

The scent was pleasant for Haslinger, lingers a bit immediately after the shave and was not offense to me in the slightest. As for performance, I may need to add a 5+ rating to my 3017 chart. Haslinger is a superior performer to almost every soap I have tried. IM is just as slick and easy to use, but not available.

Last edited:
I am going start a puck of Haslinger coconut shortly. Its also a good, but mild scent. To me that is one of the benefits of Haslinger soaps in general. The scents tend to be on the side. I'm not a fan of overpowering scents in shaving soap, or over using various EO's and FO's as some artisans have started to do in an effort to stand out from the competition. I just want a reasonable scent with excellent performance from the soap and leave the rest to my A/S.

I saw the AOS pucks on eBay but don't want to buy 3 pucks of vintage soap and get hooked on it and then not be able to get it. :001_smile I had the same thought.

No AOS store near me up here. I saw the AOS pucks on eBay but don't want to buy 3 pucks of vintage soap and get hooked on it and then not be able to get it.

I'm good with Haslinger which is currently made and available for cheap. I still wouldn't consider Sandalwood a scent I would want to stock up on or put in my den, but this one is enjoyable out of the wrapper. I still haven't shaved with it.

The scent was pleasant for Haslinger, lingers a bit immediately after the shave and was not offense to me in the slightest. As for performance, I may need to add a 5+ rating to my 3017 chart. Haslinger is a superior performer to almost every soap I have tried. IM is just as slick and easy to use, but not available.
I'm in the same camp as you: Haslinger is hard to beat.

I guess I don't understand the term "vintage" as it relates to actual age. AOS started in 1996? Maybe I am just too darn old.
I missed the post where vintage was used, but I'm guessing that it was just to distinguish between the tallow formula and the recently reformulated non-tallow formula.

I think the AOS reformulated soap performs quite well. I haven't tried the old AOS tallow, but if I like it, 3 pucks will last a bit. I have a few vintage soaps besides so....add that to my already healthy inventory of Haslinger, Cella, etc. I'm thinking I'll be good for a while.

Probably one one more shave left with my PannaCrema Libanese. Next up: Haslinger Schafmilch (first time with this particular Haslinger soap).

I guess I don't understand the term "vintage" as it relates to actual age. AOS started in 1996? Maybe I am just too darn old.

I missed the post where vintage was used, but I'm guessing that it was just to distinguish between the tallow formula and the recently reformulated non-tallow formula.
Yes. The eBay ones were Tallow Old Formula. Maybe not technically vintage yet, but discontinued.

If they had been selling Lemon or Lavender, I'd have taken a chance on 2 dozen pucks.

Last edited:
Well, I have to say that my opinion of MdC has completely changed. I am so glad I have stuck with it and didn't give up!
I am on my second go round with this soap and I am getting great shaves from it now that I discovered a few things.
First, I have found that I really can't use any soap that has a strong scent (and boy, did MdC have a strong scent when I first got it ).
After my first attempt to 3017 it I had to give up on it after 5 days. Since then I have "Aired it out" and used it a day here & there.
The scent has significantly decreased, and my enjoyment has increased.
Second, I have found that this soap lathers best for me with Badger brushes. I shake the brush well and than load for 20 seconds. As I face lather I add water 2-3 times, and get a nice, creamy, slick lather.

Once again the 3017 treatment comes through!! I would have never discovered how much I like this soap if I just gave up on it.

2nd week with the 60ml Strop Shoppe Apple Cinnamon in the books. 1.5-2 more to go I'd guess. The soap is SO soft! It's amorphous. It's literally reshaped after every shave. I'd managed to run the soap up the sides of the MWF dish I've squashed it into just from loading. I scraped it from the sides and mounded it in the middle again.

20-30 seconds of loading with damp brush, splash face and go to town face lathering dipping the brush a couple of times. It takes in plenty of water. What I'd come to expect from prior SS use but the lanolin is noticeable and nice.

I finished off my puck of PannaCrema Libanese this morning. I think I tallied just over a month of daily shaves with that puck. All in all, PC is a very good soap and I recommend it to anyone who hasn't tried it. The scent strength of PC leans towards the milder side, IMO. That's fine with me.

Next up: Haslinger Schafmilch.

I'm averaging only about 3 weeks, I believe, with daily shaves per puck of Hasliinger. I load it heavy using a pretty wet brush and find that the outstanding lather is an acceptable trade-off.

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
My 1/2-egg dome of crumbling Dr Dittmar remnants didn't hold up in the MWF bowl and was sliding around and breaking up while trying to lather this morning. Post-shave, I transferred it to my Dr Dittmar wooden bowl and smooshed it into the bottom and sides. I'll see how it fares tomorrow morning.

Bruce, is there a performance difference with any of the Haslinger soaps?

Still going strong with MdC but still pretty sure I'm going to switch to something else. I know it's an excellent soap and will come back to it. Just don't want to kill the entire thing at once.

Thinking about doing the AOS Sandalwood tallow next.

Bruce, is there a performance difference with any of the Haslinger soaps?

Still going strong with MdC but still pretty sure I'm going to switch to something else. I know it's an excellent soap and will come back to it. Just don't want to kill the entire thing at once.

Thinking about doing the AOS Sandalwood tallow next.

I haven't noticed. They Sheep's Milk has lanolin obviously, but the others seem just as moisturizing.

Shave performance among all three are identical to me. There may be something extra in the post shave of the Sheep's Milk but unless you use it right after the others, you'd never know.

Last edited:
My PdP has seen enough usage(I'm guessing around 20 or so shaves) that the writing is barely visible. Wish me luck gentlemen as this is my first effort with a sizable quantity of triple milled soap

See you soon:thumbup1:.

The Arko finally disappeared. The PdP was started yesterday.

This one feels like it'll be quite the effort to get to get to the bottom of the tin. I'm guessing I'll be enjoying it until summer at least.

Spent the morning chasing a crumbling ball of Irisch Moos around the bowl this morning. Pieces are breaking off and sticking in the brush. It made decent lather though. Probably only a few shaves left, especially if it keeps breaking up. I made a new ball and smushed it into the center of the bowl again. We'll see if I finish the week. Averaging less than 2 grams per shave.

I am glad I stuck with it though. I was getting very poor lathers with the IM and was getting ready to pitch it. I found out it really likes my 1305 shaken a few times and then lathered in my Captian's Choice bowl. It doesn't like my SOC much and doesn't like either brush in the smooth ceramic bowl I normally use. No clue why, but it likes a smaller brush and it likes the bumps on the bottom of the CC bowl.

On deck is a 1 oz sample of St. Charles Shave Sandalwood soap.

When that is gone, it will be the rest of my AoS Sandalwood cream. It's from before the reformulation (back in late 2012), so it should continue to be excellent. It only has 6 shaves out of it, so should be another month or more of it left.

Dropped out of the MdC challenge, finished up the last bits of the Stirling Naked and Smooth sample yesterday, today it was back to the Haslinger Schafmilch.

Top Bottom