What's new

My Guess... 3017

I'm still formulating my minimalist reduction and restraint (vs abstinence, there's a difference) but that's the road I would like to head down.

Only keep the things I absolutely love. Don't buy new things so frequently that you don't get a chance to enjoy them. Frequently review your stash and purge the things that aren't desert island material.

Makes me think shaving soap stick makers must be geniuses. With the majority of sticks being between 50-75grams. Unless you squash more than 1 together that means a change in soap every month or so.:thumbup1:

As for shaving minimalism it will probably be a bit easier for me than the rest. When I started out in this thread I had something like 'working my way to shaving minimalism 1 cream at a time' as my signature line. Then I went and bought a Duke 3, so I had to remove it.:blush: Now after nearly 11 months in the yearly sabbatical, my job and life in general have pretty much shown me that that's the way to go.

Meanwhile, day 18 with the Tabac and I can confidently say this is the best soap I've used this year, with the La Toja stick coming in a close second place. I continue to get easy, super slick lathers plus with the fantastic scent and beautiful ceramic bowl I think I've found a winner.

Haslinger Coconut shave #42 this morning. Yesterday and today I used a SOC boar with the result being I used 4 days of soap in 2 days. But it was nice to just use a big ol boar for a change. I think I will go back to a synthetic tomorrow. The puck really took a beating and is getting very soft. I think it will be done around the end of this week. What a great little puck. Absolutely no complaints.

Nearing 30 shaves with DR Harris Malborough. Just now starting to see the slightest dishing in top of puck, so I'm guessing I am a "light loader" and this is going to last a good long time. I'm getting sufficient lather every time for my 2½ passes and, as a newbie, starting to see some control over lather qualities too. I started shaving with a straight (at least cheeks and upper lip), so I begin with a runnier mix and then work it a bit more for the DE portion of the shave.

Just finished a tub of RR xXx, got about 30 shaves from it. Still have about 70% of the AS left though.
Got sick of the scent for the last 10 shaves, but the performance was pretty good.

Next up is a 100 ml tube of Tabac cream!

I gave up on the Fendrihan soap yesterday. I left the remainder of the puck on the side of the sink for my daughter to use as hand soap.
Tabac is just a wonderfully pillow of lather with quite a scent. This is not lightly scented but the lather is divine matching Arko.

Broke through the bottom of my SCS Pumpkin this weekend while back in Chicago. Packed my Palmolive stick in my dopp bag for my last week in Montreal in case it doesn't last until Thursday...

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
With all the vintage and modern soaps listed in the auction, why do I think that my stockpile will continue to grow this year? :lol:

It's been a while since I checked in.
50 days, 49 shaves, and 0 complaints with old formula C&E Nomad. Well, I guess one complaint would be that they don't make it anymore. I haven't heard a single good thing about the performance of new C&E, so I'm glad I still have an unopened puck of old stock. If I had to name my top 3, it would be my Nomad along with Soap Commander and I Coloniali. That may change soon, though, as one of the favorite soaps in this thread is in my cabinet: AoS Tallow.

Aaron, Hold on to that old stock of C&E until at least 2017 if you can...something to look forward too! Yeah, I was really surprised by the I Coloniali. I pretty much am a tallow type these days but that little puck of smokey goodness was probably the nicest puck I have come across along with Haslinger. The scent is fantastic and the soap imparts a creaminess I have not encountered in others...looking forward to 3017ing another down the road.

Reformed my SCS after today's shave. Don't anticipate any left by the time I head back to Chicago.

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1445263512.512840.jpg

First shave with RR Son of Zeus was fantastic. 4:00 am shaves before a flight are generally hit or miss and a bit bloody. Today was as close as I can remember. Compared to Mikes the RR was a quick lather with perhaps less protection and glide. We will see how it goes as the soap gets dialed in.

Last edited:
Aaron, Hold on to that old stock of C&E until at least 2017 if you can...something to look forward too! Yeah, I was really surprised by the I Coloniali. I pretty much am a tallow type these days but that little puck of smokey goodness was probably the nicest puck I have come across along with Haslinger. The scent is fantastic and the soap imparts a creaminess I have not encountered in others...looking forward to 3017ing another down the road.

This is the one soap I go complete fanboy over. The best shaving soap made, period.

I have an older puck of Nomad waiting its turn. Nothing but good lather with the old formula of Sandalwood. I give the nod to tallow AOS, though.

Top Bottom