What's new

My Guess... 3017

Well, my C&S is done! I have said many times that it was the best soap I have ever used. I look forward to using other Valobra soaps in the future.Valobra has now become my benchmark soap!
Next up is a tub of T&H 1805 (which was a gift from a family member). I am not a big cream fan (as a matter of fact, the only cream I have used and really enjoyed was Proraso Blue & Green), but I will give this one a try.

My Journey so far…

Truefitt & Hill 1805 (190g) 6/7/15 -- ???
C&S Oxford and Cambridge (90g) 4/5/15 -- 6/6/15 (63 Total Shaves)
MdC (Second try) 2/8/15 --- 4/4/15 (81 total Shaves)
RazoRock P.160 (125ml) 1/14/15 -- 2/7/15 (25 Shaves)
TOBS Pepermint Shave Cream (150g) 1/12/15 – 1/13/15 (2 shaves) Stopped because of very bad reaction
RR/Captain’s Choice Bay Rum (150g) (Second attempt) 1/1/15 -- 1/11/15 (11 Shaves) Stopped because of rash
RR Christmas In Tuscany (150ML) 12/1/14 – 12/31/14 (31 Shaves)
MWF (Partial Puck) 11/4/14 - 11/30/14 (27 Shaves)
RR/Captain’s Choice Bay Rum (150g) 10/30/14 – 11/3/14 (5 Shaves) Stopped because of irritation
RR “The Freedberg” (125g) 10/01/14 – 10/29/14 (29 Shaves)
Speick Stick (Grated into a bowl) (50g) 9/9/14 -- 9/28/14 (20 Shaves)
Proraso Green (150ml) 7/13/14 – 9/8/14 (58 Shaves)
RR XX (125ml) 6/19/14 –- 7/12/14 (24 Shaves)
AdP Colonia (125ml) 5/25/14 -- 6/18/14 (25 Shaves)
RR KotC Lime (125ml) 5/2/14 --- 5/24/14 (23 Shaves)
RR KotC Lavender (125ml) 4/8/14 – 5/1/14 (24 Shaves)
RR XXXt (125ml) 2/24/14 -- 4/7/14 (37 Shaves)
Vitos Extra Super (125 ml) 1/24/14 -- 2/23/14 (31 Shaves)
MdC (200g) 1/19/14 -- 2/1/14 (7 shaves) Stopped because of irritation
RR Christmas In Tuscany (150 ML) 12/25/13 -- 1/18/14 (25 Shaves)
Klar Kabinett (1) 12/6/13 — 12/24/13 (19 Shaves)
P.160 (2) 11/13/13 — 12/5/13 (23 Shaves) + (8 Shaves=31 Total Shaves )
RR King Louis Lavender (150 ML) 10/11/13 — 11/12/13 (33 Shaves)
RR S. Maria 10/1/13 — 10/10/13 (10 Shaves)
P.160 (1) (125 ML) 9/23/13 — 9/30/13 (8 Shaves)
Speick (Grated into a bowl) (50 g) 9/4/13 — 9/22/13 (19 Shaves)
RR KotC Lime (125 ML) 8/3/13 — 9/3/13 (32 Shaves)
Cella 7/4/13 — 7/29/13 (26 Shaves)
Proraso Blue 4/15/13 — 7/2/13 (69 Shaves)

After two and a half years, I 3017'd a bottle of Thayers Unscented Witch Hazel. Next up, a bottle of Thayers Cucumber Witch Hazel.

I decided this summer will be a summer of menthol. I'm a bit over a week into a tube of Palmolive Menthol cream. The shaves are really good, but the scent is not so great. It's not a strong scent though and goes away quickly. I'll use it up happily because scent is secondary to performance for me.

After this one's done, I've got some Valobra Menthol and a tube each of CO Bigelow and Ingram. Not sure I'll get through all of that before the temps here in Vegas drop, but I'll see how far I get. Usually we have pretty consistent 100+ degree highs through Sept so you never know, I might get through all that.

Last edited:
Well, my C&S is done! I have said many times that it was the best soap I have ever used. I look forward to using other Valobra soaps in the future.Valobra has now become my benchmark soap!
Next up is a tub of T&H 1805 (which was a gift from a family member). I am not a big cream fan (as a matter of fact, the only cream I have used and really enjoyed was Proraso Blue & Green), but I will give this one a try.

That's high praise for the C&S and I think you'll find Valobra the same except for scent. From what I've read, it's all identical base.

I've only sampled T&H from the packets but it is very good stuff. That cream may surprise and turn out to he one of your favorites.

Did you get in on the RR SMdF soap or plan on it?

That's a very generous gift. I think 1805 smells amazing, and the performance I got out of a sample was top notch. In fact we get 15% off T&H (check the Vendor welcome thread) and I'm thinking about some 1805 cream or aftershave.

That's a very generous gift. I think 1805 smells amazing, and the performance I got out of a sample was top notch. In fact we get 15% off T&H (check the Vendor welcome thread) and I'm thinking about some 1805 cream or aftershave.

i agree, the scent is very nice. I really hope I enjoy this cream.

That's high praise for the C&S and I think you'll find Valobra the same except for scent. From what I've read, it's all identical base.

I've only sampled T&H from the packets but it is very good stuff. That cream may surprise and turn out to he one of your favorites.

Did you get in on the RR SMdF soap or plan on it?

No Bruce, since I quit smoking in 2001 I really can not stand any tobacco scents. The ingredients make it sounds like it would be a top soap, but the scent would put me off for sure.

I completely agree about the T&H cream. My sample of Trafalgar was great.

Does TOBS cream perform identically? I have a tube of the Real Shaving Company cream on it's way to me, which is the same base as well, right?

I find TOBS and T&H creams to be about the same. T&H may be a little better but not by much if any. 1805 is definitely a lovely modern scent.

Does TOBS cream perform identically? I have a tube of the Real Shaving Company cream on it's way to me, which is the same base as well, right?

I think the "3-T's" are all Creighton's (T&H, TOBS, Trumpers) as well as TRSC (I guess that's 4-T's). I haven't used TRSC in a long time but remember it being VERY good with scent being the only thing I didn't care for at the time.

When I'm done my Arlington Tube in my Dopp kit, I may revisit that one as my travel cream....that or Proraso.

Last edited:

I have stupid hard water here in SoCal, and it seems that TOBS performs better than T&H. But I've only had T&H in the sample packets.

I think the "3-T's" are all Creighton's (T&H, TOBS, Trumpers) as well as TRSC (I guess that's 4-T's). I haven't used TRSC in a long time but remember it being VERY good with scent being the only thing I didn't care for at the time.

I've read this many times, but I find TOBS different from T&H. There's something about the texture and how much water each one takes. I think TOBS is easier to lather, too.

I've read this many times, but I find TOBS different from T&H. There's something about the texture and how much water each one takes. I think TOBS is easier to lather, too.
It could be they are just made by Creighton's, but vary from line to line.

Make me wonder if Valobra, AOS Tallow and C&S are identical bases?

Last edited:
I am 25 shaves into my white tub RazoRock XXXt. They all have been pretty good - a clear, solid 4 out of 5 stars for the time being. I like Joe's tallow base more so than his argan oil base (3017'ed XX). The primary difference to me is the XXXt post shave feel - my skin is softer and more supple. The scent quality and strength is top-notch.

My tin of Mikes is lasting longer than I expected, though it is showing signs of succumbing to the relentless beating various boars have given it over the past 34 shaves. He still has some life in him. I've been loading very heavy and using the EJ D89. Its a mild razor to be sure, but, mild or not I have been getting some stellar 3 pass shaves. Effortless and no irritation whatsoever. Glad I decided to dig it out of the drawer for a spin. Tho my 66 Slim is getting a bit jealous and may require some attention soon.

The 3017 process is once again treating me well. I know Mikes soaps well, but it still took me a week or so to get back into a groove with this soap. Now that I have it down again the lathers are fantastic. With all of the variables with making a good lather 3017ing a soap just makes good sense. I don't think I could go back to a daily rotation again.

RazoRock Son of Zeus is going great. It's really dialed in and giving terrific, close shaves.

I test lathered a new tub of Seifenglatt Blooming April that I got in a trade, which is a mild carnation development scent. SWMNBN-SWMBO asked for no florals, so it's out. I've got a 200+ gm tub that I'll split into a couple of PIFs if anyone is interested. This is the American company with a German name that has their soap made in France. Reply or PM if interested.
$FullSizeRender.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom