What's new

My Guess... 3017

I weighed my Cella tub again last night. It came in at 42 grams. Assuming the tub itself weighs 25 grams (the whole thing was 175 to start) then I have just 17 grams of soap left. The soap in the bottom of the tub is starting to resemble a crescent moon. It is a nice feeling to be in the home stretch.

Also, I have decided to 3017 my bottle of English Leather AS. I purchased it several months ago to try out and am not a big fan of the scent. So, once it is gone it is definitely going on the "don't buy" list.

Don't stick with it if you don't like it. A 3017 mantra is "Life's too short for bad shaves." That applies to lame AS, as well.

I believe it's set at 51mm. I ordered it from Larry and it's the standard loft. It is a face lathering machine.
Good to know. Does it have a glue bump at all? I got a couple of the synth knots from knockout shaves closing sale and they are a bit sparse and not a lot of backbone but also got a Italian Barber synth and with the glue bump on that one is much better.

More on topic, I've tried a couple new things with the Queen Charlotte soap and may have gotten a bit more performance out of it.

I think [MENTION=58407]Jarick[/MENTION] was talking about using plenty of water and loading with slow swirls to get plenty of product without too much air which seemed like it may have worked for me this morning. I'll try it a few more times and see if it holds up.

Last edited:
Victory is at hand. Less than a week left.
$image.jpg

Good to know. Does it have a glue bump at all? I got a couple of the synth knots from knockout shaves closing sale and they are a bit sparse and not a lot of backbone but also got a Italian Barber synth and with the glue bump on that one is much better.

More on topic, I've tried a couple new things with the Queen Charlotte soap and may have gotten a bit more performance out of it.

I think @Jarick was talking about using plenty of water and loading with slow swirls to get plenty of product without too much air which seemed like it may have worked for me this morning. I'll try it a few more times and see if it holds up.

It does have a glue bump, but it doesn't have a ton of backbone. My Edwin Jagger XL has a lot more backbone than this brush. When I first got this brush I thought I wasn't going to like it because it didn't have a ton of backbone but it has been nearly a perfect brush for me. If I want more backbone I reach for the EJ XL.

Well I'm new to 3017 and have found it hard to stick to one soap 100% of the time. I'm currently 3017ing a puck of Haslinger coconut, however the current heat wave has driven me to use my sample of Sterling Margaritas in the Arctic instead. I would rather use some of my mentholated soaps while it's hot as that's what they are made for!! So for now the Haslinger has been put on hold, after only 11 uses.

I've been a little shocked by how quickly I have completed the sterling sample, as I've heard on average people report about 20 shaves as the Sterling samples are one of the best values out there. I didn't track my barbershop but I was fairly certain it lasted about 20 shaves. Well I'm not sure if it's because I've leaned to load it like I hate it, the fact that I've been breaking in my first boar brush (semogue 1305), or that I now regularly use the "stupid wet brush" Marco method to lather Sterling - but this soap has lasted only 10 shaves with one or maybe two more to go.

proxy.php

This will put me at 2.82 grams per shave average, assuming a 1.1 oz per sample as advertised by Sterling (I do not have a scale to confirm the actual weight). Color me surprised by this result as my 3017 tracking sheet had an assumed rate of 1.75 grams per shave.

What is next? I will likely continue to run 2 soaps in parallel for the rest of the summer. Hot days will be a sample of Sterling Frozen Tundra, and milder days will be back to the Haslinger.

As far as my review for MITA - I love the freeze I get from this soap, and the scent of a lime margarita definitely comes through strongly. I did not find the scent the lasted long, so I layered with whatever a aftershave I felt paired well. The lather was very easy to produce once I learned to use a stupid wet brush, but sometimes that led to having to over produce lather quantity to get the right consistency. Which is likely why I used the soap so fast. Slickness was very good as a result. Sometimes lather went flying around the room though as it became a little sloppy.

Overall I liked MITA and would recommend it for a summer shave.

Last edited:
. . .
I've been a little shocked by how quickly I have completed the sterling sample, as I've heard on average people report about 20 shaves as the Sterling samples are one of the best values out there. I didn't track my barbershop but I was fairly certain it lasted about 20 shaves. Well I'm not sure if it's because I've leaned to load it like I hate it, the fact that I've been breaking in my first boar brush (semogue 1305), or that I now regularly use the "stupid wet brush" Marco method to lather Sterling - but this soap has lasted only 10 shaves with one or maybe two more to go.

This will put me at 2.82 grams per shave average, assuming a 1.1 oz per sample as advertised by Sterling (I do not have a scale to confirm the actual weight). Color me surprised by this result as my 3017 tracking sheet had an assumed rate of 1.75 grams per shave.
. . .

According to the shaving log, my Iced Pineapple sample weighed 31.6g and Gatlinburg sample weighed 28.6g. I'm traveling and can't get to my MITA sample for measurements.

. . .

As far as my review for MITA - I love the freeze I get from this soap, and the scent of a lime margarita definitely comes through strongly. I did not find the scent the lasted long, so I layered with whatever a aftershave I felt paired well. The lather was very easy to produce once I learned to use a stupid wet brush, but sometimes that led to having to over produce lather quantity to get the right consistency. Which is likely why I used the soap so fast. Slickness was very good as a result. Sometimes lather went flying around the room though as it became a little sloppy.

Overall I liked MITA and would recommend it for a summer shave.

I put a sample of Iced Pineapple on hold for the PC Nuavia pass around. I found the Stirling Iced series to have the perfect amount of menthol for me this summer. A few shaves are left on it and I'll knock it out early next week. We're traveling for college visits and I'm slumming with a tube of Proraso Blue. First world problems . . .

Well I'm new to 3017 and have found it hard to stick to one soap 100% of the time. I'm currently 3017ing a puck of Haslinger coconut, however the current heat wave has driven me to use my sample of Sterling Margaritas in the Arctic instead. I would rather use some of my mentholated soaps while it's hot as that's what they are made for!! So for now the Haslinger has been put on hold, after only 11 uses.

I started 3017 in May this year and I have found I can't make myself not use the same soap I feel like I am doing something wrong and losing ground on my march to completion if I do. I got some Haslinger recently and although I am dying to try it I am also trying to adhere to FIFO as much as I can and will probably not get to it until sometime next year at the soonest, and that is being optimistic.
I have so many self imposed rules its amazing I can make it out of the house each day. :w00t:

Don't stick with it if you don't like it. A 3017 mantra is "Life's too short for bad shaves." That applies to lame AS, as well.

+1, I also just brought out an old bottle of English Leather from before I even started wetshaving and really wasn't a fan. Neither was SWMBO. To the PIF pile it goes!

Rough life :tongue_sm

Proraso Blue is better than most products out there. You could be slumming it with far worse. :thumbup1:

I have a tube of the Blue sitting in my Rubbermaid container, one of these days I'll get around to 3017 it! Maybe after I finish this puck of Barberpole, as I feel like the Blue is a great summer scent.

HTGAM Barberpole is still providing fantastic shaves, and going down quickly. 36 grams left and averaging about 2.3g/shave through today's shave. Should be done by mid-August.

So much for waiting for the Hawk razor to order my next soap. Last week I received a sample of the old Catie's Bubbles formula, yesterday I received a sample of 3P, today I received a puck of Fine's Oxford & Cambridge copy and a tub of the new formula Catie's, and Monday a tub of Soap Commander will arrive. I think I'll use the Catie's first. It's just a 2 oz tub and I'm not at all impressed by the scent (Un Jour Gris). It will be spread right on top of the Frankensoap since the tub is small.

So... Two weeks of living the 3017 lifestyle and I've seen the light. Two days to dial it and a dozen perfect lathers. Here's a shot of it post shave:
proxy.php

Lather was squeezed out of the brush after 3 passes from a face lather.I thought it had maybe two weeks to live but now I'm not so sure. I'll be sad to see it go.

Last edited:

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
See, [MENTION=105362]Gott543[/MENTION], there's a method to the 3017 madness. It's not just about using up a soap, but about learning how to get the most from each one.
Good job. :thumbup1:

@Gott543 That's the Dapper Dragon? I've used a few samples of that and enjoyed them.

Speaking of samples, I'm still in sample kill off mode. Just finished a Reef Point Admiralty sample. I enjoyed the scent of that greatly. Very classy. Smells a lot like CRSW Jardin d'Orange. Just started a Stirling Iced Pineapple sample this morning. Nice chill to see me through August heat.

@Gott543 That's the Dapper Dragon? I've used a few samples of that and enjoyed them.

Speaking of samples, I'm still in sample kill off mode. Just finished a Reef Point Admiralty sample. I enjoyed the scent of that greatly. Very classy. Smells a lot like CRSW Jardin d'Orange. Just started a Stirling Iced Pineapple sample this morning. Nice chill to see me through August heat.

Yup, it's the Dapper Dragon. The lather is surprisingly good, but the scent is kind of, well, meh.

I'm striking out on scents lately. Catie's Bubbles Un Jour Gris sounds great on paper: citrus, spice, vetiver, and sandalwood. My nose doesn't detect any of that. It just smells like a cheap women's shampoo. Performance is good so I'll consider buying another in a different scent, but it's unlikely I'll finish this one. It gets one more chance before it gets stirred into the Frankensoap.

Another one down, Super Max Ultimate shaving cream. Started 07-08-16, used the last of it today. I have been shaving pretty much every day. I won't replace it, it was a decent cream, but just that. The scent was kind of generic soapy but very mild. The performance was okay, middle of the road. I have used worse, but I have used better. Next up, Reef Pointe Peerless.

My journey so far:

05-29-2014 to 06-29-2014: Mikes Barbershop - Yes will replace
06-30-2014 to 10-03-2014: Mitchell's Wool Fat - Yes may replace
10-04-2014 to 10-31-2014: Coates Cream Almond - No, mediocre scent, OOP
11-01-2014 to 11-10-2014: Classic Shaving Rose- No, binned due to irritation
11-12-2014 to 11-25-2014: Wilkinson Blue Bowl- No, binned, mediocre shaves
11-26-2014 to 01-19-2015: 11 Samples
01-20-2015 to 02-22-2015: Palmolive cream - Yes will replace
02-23-2015 to 04-17-2015: Strop Shoppe Barbershop 6oz - Yes will replace
04-18-2015 to 06-19-2015: Barrister and Mann Leviathan - Yes will replace
06-20-2015 to 08-15-2015: Mikes Barbershop (80%) - Yes will replace
08-16-2015 to 09-14-2015: Coates Cream Rose - No, mediocre scent, OOP