What's new

My Guess... 3017

***** Ding Ding Ding! *****

Let's add a little wrinkle to this. For many of us, sticking to one soap exclusively is a trial of willpower and persistence. Fortunately, we can switch up brushes, razors, AS and Fragrances for variety. What do you say we make this a little more interesting? Let's remove another variable from our lather making and pair one brush with one soap for the duration.

Beginning on April 9, johnniegold and I will begin using one brush and one soap exclusively. To make it even more interesting, we will use a soap of which we each have only one, and it is no longer available. Once it's gone, it's gone. The soap? Soap for Hope's La Toja Manantiales. Once elusive, then abundant, soon to be gone forever from our shave dens. The brush? The Simpson Rover LE in Best; David Carter's Everyman Simpson brush that disappeared after the Vulfix acquisition, only to return as an LE brush in Best that has climbed into the top tier of brushes in our dens. This is likely to be a pairing made in heaven, but it will certainly test my fidelity, as I currently rotate brushes every 3 shaves....and I like brushes.

Do you have La Toja Manantiales? Do you have the Rover? Do you have a favorite soap and a favorite brush? If the answer to any of the above is yes, please consider joining in and take your soap expertise to a different level.

Let's add a little wrinkle to this. For many of us, sticking to one soap exclusively is a trial of willpower and persistence. Fortunately, we can switch up brushes, razors, AS and Fragrances for variety. What do you say we make this a little more interesting? Let's remove another variable from our lather making and pair one brush with one soap for the duration.

Beginning on April 9, johnniegold and I will begin using one brush and one soap exclusively. To make it even more interesting, we will use a soap of which we each have only one, and it is no longer available. Once it's gone, it's gone. The soap? Soap for Hope's La Toja Manantiales. Once elusive, then abundant, soon to be gone forever from our shave dens. The brush? The Simpson Rover LE in Best; David Carter's Everyman Simpson brush that disappeared after the Vulfix acquisition, only to return as an LE brush in Best that has climbed into the top tier of brushes in our dens. This is likely to be a pairing made in heaven, but it will certainly test my fidelity, as I currently rotate brushes every 3 shaves....and I like brushes.

Do you have La Toja Manantiales? Do you have the Rover? Do you have a favorite soap and a favorite brush? If the answer to any of the above is yes, please consider joining in and take your soap expertise to a different level.

I've neither, but I'm looking forward to the beatdown!

Hmmmm. Interesting. I might be in.

Why the start date of April 9th?

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
The Blenheim Bouquet is relieved to hear of this recent change of events. :biggrin:One soap? One brush? What the heck was I thinking? Mrs. Gold will probably think that I'll need my head examined for using only one brush with one soap. Imagine that. :rolleyes:

Might be in. I should have finished the Williams by then. I was planning to finish a scrap of GFT Coconut and move on to Cade, but...

The Manantiales is a good sized puck. Could take awhile to get through it.

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
I may have to box up the rest of the brushes and just have The Rover out. Heck, I might even go with one razor and see how the "old-timers" used to live. :biggrin:

I'll be in with that. I'm still working on this puck of TOBS Lavender (lasting forever)...

But, I'm moving into a small apartment with my wife and kids for the next several months while we build our new house :eek:

So, a minimalist approach is definitely warranted.

My 30mm M&F Beehive will be up first, along with my Brian Brown Custom Straight, My Tony Miller Steerhide, or my Merkur Progress for days I'm in a rush.

I'll switch brushes when I switch soaps.

I finished the Acca Kappa 1869 this weekend and started on a puck (80% or so) of Arlington. I couldn't do another Italian soap after the cella then AK combo. First shave with Arlington this morning and I'm reminded why I love this soap so much.

Updated Tally:

DR Harris Lavender 1/03/11 – 2/20/11
60% GFT Rose 2/21/11 – 4/1/11
QCS Lavender 4/2/11 – 5/05/11
Mini Hiatus 5/6/11 – 5/19/11
*Speick Stick 5/20/11 – 6/11/11
Nancy Boy Cream 6/12/11 – 7/16/11
RazoRock Muguet de France 7/17/11 – 8/24/11
Calani Highland Honey 8/25/11 – 9/15/11
Olivia's Farn Cream 9/16/11 - 10/12/11
Al's The BOMB Calypso 10/13/11 - 11/09/11
* 20% Castle Forbes Lime Cream 11/10/11 - 11/28/11
* 15% Tabula Rasa Lavender 11/29/11 - 12/13/11
100g tub of Cella 12/14/11 - 01/29/12
Acca Kappa 1869 cream tub 1/30/12 - 3/18/12

* Will be replaced

Last edited:

Man...... that is hardcore! My hat's off to both of you Gentlemen and I wish you well in your Crusade. I have the Rover and I may dedicate it to one soap, but I am not a Manantiales owner......

I am definitely a soap guy. The TOBS Lavender Cream which I have been trying to finish is a disappointment- the shaving is OK, but not as close as I am used to with a good soap. Tomorrow I will start on a tub of SMN which has only had a couple of shaves from it and keep the dregs of the TOBS Cream for the upcoming Brush Chronicles.

I am definitely a soap guy. The TOBS Lavender Cream which I have been trying to finish is a disappointment- the shaving is OK, but not as close as I am used to with a good soap. Tomorrow I will start on a tub of SMN which has only had a couple of shaves from it and keep the dregs of the TOBS Cream for the upcoming Brush Chronicles.

I'm curious to hear how SMN stacks up to the soaps.

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
I am definitely a soap guy.

but not as close as I am used to with a good soap.

You said it. I'm finishing up a tube of Old Spice and although I love the scent, it just not the same as a soap. La Toja Manantiales here I come.

Top Bottom