What's new

My Guess... 3017

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
I'm thinking of transferring it from the red plastic container into a glass 'tupperware' container for easier loading, thoughts?
The Trumper Sandalwood may be ready for the same treatment any day now. The soap ring fell out of the bowl today but remained intact. A couple more days and this soap bowl will be added to the pile.

Finished the Ralph Lauren Safari puck this morning. Started 12/4/11. Allowing for travel days, it lasted a full 3 months. I really liked RL Safari - a solid, good performing, nice smelling tallow soap.

A puck of Gold Dachs got milled into a tub and is on deck for tomorrow.

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
The Trumper Sandalwood was moved to a plastic container yesterday after the soap ring fell out and broke apart. It could meet its end today or tomorrow.

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
The Trumper Sandalwood officially met its end yesterday. For the record, it was a new puck that was used everyday (with the exception of maybe 5 days total) from 1/1/12 to 3/15/12. Although a "B to B+" soap, I don't think it will be replaced. So, the first soap of 2012 bites the dust. I will begin a new soap on 4/1 but for now will work on a tube of Old Spice s/c. I have 8 bowls and 3 shave sticks remaining to see this journey to the end.

The Trumper Sandalwood officially met its end yesterday. For the record, it was a new puck that was used everyday (with the exception of maybe 5 days total) from 1/1/12 to 3/15/12. Although a "B to B+" soap, I don't think it will be replaced. So, the first soap of 2012 bites the dust. I will begin a new soap on 4/1 but for now will work on a tube of Old Spice s/c. I have 8 bowls and 3 shave sticks remaining to see this journey to the end.

A triple-milled English soap in less than 3 months...damn, that's a beatdown of EPIC proportions!

Congrats on the victory, Bob...what's next on 4/1?

No kidding! I want to see a video of how those poor soaps get lathered every day.

These guys claim they do it by hand with a soap-killing brush...I'm not buying it. I'm willing to bet they're actually rigging the brush to a drill press and rotating the handle with reckless abandon...

Well, The Acca Kappa is down to one last shave that I'll use this evening. After killing Cella followed by the AK, I was planning on continuing my Italian crusade. I'm not sure if I can at this point and will have to think long and hard about what to use next. P160 was in line, but I'm thinking I need a hard soap.

I have been using a puck of Mitchell's Wool Fat for about 80 consecutive shaves, and have used it for 82 shaves total. Please don't ask my how I know exactly how many shaves because I don't want to tell you about my spreadsheet....oops!

It is excellent stuff and I would be happy with just having that. I think this was noted previously, but it seems to get better with continous use.

I think I have probably another 40-45 shaves left on it, which would equate to about 1 gram of soap per shave.

Last edited:
Well, The Acca Kappa is down to one last shave that I'll use this evening. After killing Cella followed by the AK, I was planning on continuing my Italian crusade. I'm not sure if I can at this point and will have to think long and hard about what to use next. P160 was in line, but I'm thinking I need a hard soap.

Harvitz, do you face lather or lather in a huge mixing bowl?!

Are you making a ton of lather?

proxy.php

I'll be finishing my tub of Muguet de France today of tomorrow. After that I think I'll jump to using my puck of Arlington until it's finished :thumbup:

Harvitz, do you face lather or lather in a huge mixing bowl?!

Are you making a ton of lather?

I face lather and load generously. I need to look back in this thread of when I started the AK, but it seems like I've been using it forever (probably like 2 months though....)

These guys claim they do it by hand with a soap-killing brush...I'm not buying it. I'm willing to bet they're actually rigging the brush to a drill press and rotating the handle with reckless abandon...

What dissolves soap better than water? A little extra water makes it easier to load the brush. Then keep doing it for a long time. :wink:

I would. I find the little red tub too small for hands like mine.

I'm eyeing the Tabac bowl, since it has a pretty wide surface area. Though it doesn't work too well once the soap is worn down because of the indentation in the center.

I also think that I'm going to start using up "perishable" products (e.g. creams/croaps) before going back to hard soaps, thus the Cella (which is two years old or so.)

Top Bottom