What's new

My Guess... 3017

A couple observations regarding the 3017 thread. We're on page 666, is that significant in any way...bad luck perhaps? Also, I noticed a lot of you are using some very interesting soaps and creams. Some of it a bit off the beaten path. Please do keep updating from time to time as you progress, its interesting to see how they are going. :thumbup1:

I diverted briefly today from the 3017 Wilko. Its so near the end now and its been a darn good soap. I hate to kill it just yet. That must really speak for the quality of a soap huh? Usually I cant wait to get to the next soap, this little guy has me hanging onto it for dear life. Anyway, I have been reading the thread about the gents doing the passaround of Nuavia Red and Blu. My attempt with Blu didn't go so well. I have had it sitting out uncovered for about a month now I believe. The scent toned down slightly so I thought I'd give it a go this morning. 15 second load on a damp brush was plenty for 3 passes. It seems like a high quality base. Lathers like a dream. It is meant to be a post shave moisturizer and after shave as well. It works. I could feel the moisturizer on my skin for a few hours after the shave. I can see where many would like this, I don't. When I use a balm for example, I want it to absorb quickly, do its job, but not feel greasy. The Blu doesn't feel greasy, but it does somewhat make its presence known. Then the scent. 11 hours later its still there. If it was say C&S O&C I would be in heaven. Unfortunately I still don't care a great deal for it. Lastly..I had a slight burn...if I used it again tomorrow it would be a full on allergic reaction.

Sigh.

I refuse to give up on this one just yet. I am setting it aside for another month. Back to finishing Wilko, should be done by this weekend. Then onto..something...not sure what yet.

MWF may be my next soap. I just ordered up a few pucks.

I'm done experimenting with fly by night soaps and ones that are hot now and unheard of in a month.

MWF doesn't fall into that crowd, so I look forward to revisiting it after a 4 year layoff.

A few pucks of MWF. Uff da...that's about 6-9 months of shaving if memory serves me.

I have 1 unopened puck of MWF. It's in long term storage, will get to it sometime in 2017. Its something I want to get back to some day but not any time soon. Last time I went through a puck of MWF was maybe 2-3 years ago. I liked it OK, but never loved it. For me the best feature of MWF was the postshave feel. It had a good dense lather, but I seem to remember struggling with MWF and hot water. Like it would break down a bit? Been too long and in those days I used a scuttle. I don't use a scuttle anymore and my technique has changed a lot. So likely the struggles I had then wouldn't be an issue now. Its a classic, been around forever and will be around forever I'm sure. Also a good value for as long as a puck lasts. Tell ya what, I would have rather shaved with MWF this morning than the Nuavia that I used. Enjoy the MWF, cant wait to hear how its going for you. :thumbup:

Yeah, I remember the post shave feel and not heat friendly. My likes and technique have changed quite a bit, so it will be interesting to see how it goes.

It was cheap enough to bring in a few and if it doesn't work, bath bars for me for a while.

Yeah, I remember the post shave feel and not heat friendly. My likes and technique have changed quite a bit, so it will be interesting to see how it goes.

It was cheap enough to bring in a few and if it doesn't work, bath bars for me for a while.

I was just thinking the same thing about it being a good bath soap. I actually use MWF's bath soap every day. I love the stuff. Heck ya, its worth a shot with MWF. Its a good value and a good soap. For some reason years ago, at least during the winter, I thought I had to shave with the hottest water I could possibly tolerate. Now I use luke warm water year round. All I remember is the MWF didn't get along with the hot water I was using so I gave up on it. I bet it will be a good performer for you. If not...one heckuva great bath soap. You cant go wrong at the price you picked them up.

Like you, I used to use hottest tap water available and a bowl scuttle....now I face lather with room temp water, 99% of the time.

I believe Proraso Blue is the only soap in the past year or two, that was consistently bowl lathered in a hot scuttle that worked and didn't degrade from the heat.

NB works in a hot scuttle too, from what I remember and jotted down.

I had two travel shaves this week. The first was a healthy portion from an eShave travel jar. It was okay and serviceable, but not nearly protective enough for my travel razor. Second shave was with LaToja stick, which always works. Back to Razorock Classic tomorrow, which has been less enjoyable than the eShave cream.

Well, I've given my Green Mountain Soap Lavender/Grapefruit about 10 days of use and I think I'll give up. It's not a bad soap. The lather is good, but just not as slick as I'd like it to be. Life is too short to continue using a soap that you just don't enjoy.
So up next will be the infamous Haslinger . I've got the Aloe version and the Marigold. Not sure which I'll start with, but I'm sure looking forward to using it after all of the positive comments in this thread (Thanks Brucered).

I just wish you would have warned me that it would cost over $50/puck!

I was already downtown visiting a client, so on the way home I thought I'd stop by Merz's to pick up 2 pucks of Haslinger. When I got back to my car, I had a $100 love note from the city waiting for me.
I swear you have to be a rocket scientist to figure out the parking signs.
View attachment 596731

The Chicago meter maids (outsourced some years back now) are ruthless. In addition, the Dept of Finance is one of the most inefficient offices in the city. I was wrongfully ticketed earlier this year in February, went the contest by mail route, and only just got my ticket cleared a month ago.

Determined I can use the knot of my Plisson by itself without a handle for the next week. Not the most efficient way to shave but doable.

I've stayed the course on the Nancy Boy Replenishing (cucumber) cream. I agree with everything said before me on this. I have to load more than usual, but when combined with a healthy dose of water, this cream works well.

The one knock on this cream is that it can be a bit boring for me to use a cream with so little scent. I'll definitely go with the Signature (lavender, rosemary, and mint) scent next time.

I'm about 50% through the travel tub. I'll be traveling to Munich in a few weeks. I don't feel like risking running out of the NB, so I'll bring a new La Toja stick. I'll keep my eyes peeled for Irisch Moos (obviously will be an unlikely find). I've never smelled Tabac, so I'm eager to experience that as well.

I'm calling the Palmolive stick. Just chasing pieces around the dish now. It was serviceable, but even though it is cheap and I don't mind the scent I won't be repurchasing it. I'm taking a break from 3017 for a while now. I'll use some Tabac for the 1st time for a few days before kicking off Speicktember. After that I'll break out the MWF and Cade so I can get a good assessment on if I need to stock up before the 2016 sabbatical. Assuming that happens and I decide to do it again.

Third and final shave with Stirling Ozark Mountain this morning. Went at it with a damp two-band and made some very nice, thick, yogurty lather. First pass went splendidly. I could barely feel the razor on my face. The second pass was not so good. After latching up for the second pass I felt that all too familiar warm, tingly, burning sensation that I know all too well. I knew this sample smelled stronger than I remembered the last one being. The last two shaves I had a mild redness and all around sore face afterwards, but I attributed that to being a little too aggressive with the ATT while learning it. It appears now that that may have been a reaction to the soap. I'm going to give myself a day or two t recover then I think I'll move on to one of my nice unscented pucks.

Used Martin de Candre today. Decent shave, but the Feather AS-D2 got clogged super easily and that might have led to more skipping and scraping than I would like.

Once again, soap hopping has made me restless, so I'm going to start Speick a few days early tomorrow.

Plugging away with Mike's has been great.

It lathers up really well for me. Either super protective and slick if I load dry and add water slowly or super quickly if I puck lather with a more damp brush, at the expense of a bit of protection for the days I'm in a hurry (like this morning).

I like this soap a lot. It's going to be interesting when I use AoS tallow for a few benchmark shaves in September.

Killed the Stirling MITA sample size! It wasn't my puropose to 3017 it but it was so good that I kept using it. There was no reaction and I got creamy wonderful shiny lather all time. I have 4 more samples from Stirling so I will definitely visit it again.

Found some soap that was hidden away (under something that fell off the rack) in the closet this morning. Appears to be half a bar of Mike's Lavender, a sample saved portion of AoS Unscented and 1.5 pucks of Cade smashed together. Dropped the AoS in the bowl and had a wonderful shave with it. Much better than I was getting with the Stirling sample. Still not sure how I feel about either the ATT M1/M2 or the Wolfman OC. Gonna go back to the AS-D1 tomorrow and see how that one feels. I'll probably rotate through those 4 while I work on killing the AoS. After that's done, I think I'll throw some Cade in the bowl for Fall/Winter.

The Wilkinson Sword shave stick 3017 is complete. It would have lasted longer if I had left it in stick form. As it is I believe I had roughly 45 shaves from it. Its not flashy, its not the best at anything, but its very good at everything. Just a good, protective, easy to use, relatively inexpensive shave stick, that I took traveling a couple thousand miles and used it in many different water types. Hard or soft water had no impact. All of which put it at a solid 4 out of 5 ranking for me. I will be purchasing another for my travel kit.

I am taking a short break from 3017 and hit my diminishing puck of C&S Oxford & Cambridge for a few days...maybe a week. I may even 3017 it next but I have to give it a few days before I decide.

Two more days will make a year of 3017ing Tabac I will have used it 362 times in that year. Still plenty left, so nothing to report in regards to finishing it. I do plan on continuing till it's gone though.

Two more days will make a year of 3017ing Tabac I will have used it 362 times in that year. Still plenty left, so nothing to report in regards to finishing it. I do plan on continuing till it's gone though.

That's amazing! You need to document a year with a pic of what's left or something. You'll really miss that soap when it's finally over. After a year I can't imagine how well I'd know a product.

Top Bottom