What's new

My Guess... 3017

After seeing all the Haslinger love, and as an avid lover of MWF, I may have to give the schafmilch a try.

I'm the exact opposite. I really want to give MWF a try. I'm just hesitant to pull the trigger, as all the "hard water = impossible to lather" discussion makes me think "what's the point since Haslinger is so great for me?"

The only thing I like better about MWF is the scent.

I'm the exact opposite. I really want to give MWF a try. I'm just hesitant to pull the trigger, as all the "hard water = impossible to lather" discussion makes me think "what's the point since Haslinger is so great for me?"

I have slightly hard water, and can get an excellent lather with MWF ( and I *love* the scent!). It took a little experimenting to get it right, but it can be done, and in my opinion, is totally worth it - and not just for the "I can lather MWF with hard water" bragging rights, either!

I'd say go for it. MWF is such a popular and beloved soap, if it didn't work out for you, you'd be able to sell it on the BST with ease...I'd be surprised if it lasted more than 10 minutes.

I have slightly hard water, and can get an excellent lather with MWF ( and I *love* the scent!). It took a little experimenting to get it right, but it can be done, and in my opinion, is totally worth it - and not just for the "I can lather MWF with hard water" bragging rights, either!

I'd say go for it. MWF is such a popular and beloved soap, if it didn't work out for you, you'd be able to sell it on the BST with ease...I'd be surprised if it lasted more than 10 minutes.

Yeah. I'll probably grab some soon. As much as I love trying new stuff though, since I've begun to sort out what I like and what I don't like, it's become easy for me to put stuff to the back of my mind that requires "experimentation." I have enough stuff that doesn't require the appropriate alignment of the planets for a good lather to worry about all that stuff.

I will be stopping over in Germany for a day or so in the near future - Does anyone know if Haslinger is available in local supermarkets or pharmacies?

D.R. Harris Marlborough - Shave #77

Tuesday Evening

Prep:
Shower / Baxter of California Facial Scrub
Razor: 1938-45 Gillette Tech w/ Fat Handle
Blade: Feather
Brush: Semogue 2013 Barbear Classico Mistura
Soap: D.R. Harris Marlborough
Aftershave: Crown Shaving Co. AS Tonic / Crown Shaving Co. Soothing AS Lotion (Balm)
Pomade of the Day: Bees Knees High Sheen
Cologne of the Day: Penhaligon's Sartorial

Ben

$20140422_194326.jpg

I submit my MdC data in all its geekdom!

Martin de Candre : Unscented
DateWeight
(grams)
Grams
used
Approximate #
of shaves
Grams/shave
1/7/2014472---------
2/7/201443537251.48
3/7/201439144241.83
4/7/201433754252.16
4/21/201429344133.38

It should be noted that I did not start with a full jar of MdC. I think the jar was likely closer to 200 grams of soap when it started, which is what other folks have found even if the jar was advertised as 170 grams. Given that my usage (grams/shave) increased over time, it think it is a safe bet my overall usage for the entire jar had to be under 2 grams/shave.

I tip my hat to MdC unscented. It was a great soap and provided nothing but great shaves. Also, I am seriously impressed by the super hefty (empty) glass jar. Not sure what I am going to do with it, but it would be a shame to toss it. Would I buy MdC again? I don't know, maybe. Probably not. Although, I do have a jar of scented and fougere, so there is that ....

Last edited:
Great breakdown and review of MdC. Nice to see you finish off the jar.

Interesting how the usage slowly increases month by month, but I guess with the water is absorbs and get's a bit softer as time goes one.

My Empty jar (first one) is now filled with Vito's Super Extra waiting to get 3017'd :001_cool:

** edit ** everyone is finishing MdC today and with more backups ready to go. Congrats on the finish to both of you!

Interesting how the usage slowly increases month by month, but I guess with the water is absorbs and get's a bit softer as time goes one.

Bruce, I'm noticing that same effect on my Harris Lavender puck. Out of curiosity, I scaled the bowl a couple days after I had gotten to 89g, and it was already down to 85g. As it went the longest time just to get back to the original dry puck weight, that is noteworthy.

Well, it's nothing compared to a MdC jar, but I finished a sample of Stirling Orange Chill this morning.

The only straying from this soap was a traveling shave when I used a stick of Arko. Wish I would have noted when I started with it but it was about 3/4 oz and lasted me at least two weeks with my Pro 49 face lathering the whole time.

I'm going to keep trying to get through my samples so my inventory can drop down a bit to just my full size soaps. Maybe my wife won't make quite as much fun of me if I can count them on 2 hands instead of 4. :laugh:

I really enjoy following this thread even though I'm not fully participating. Thanks guys.

My Mama Bear puck is still going strong, and it might last longer than I expected. I started it on April 1st and it will probably last until the end of May.

Haslinger start: 238.9
8 shaves in: 220.3

After that bad shave this weekend, I am back on track and had an amazing two pass shave with it today.

So easy to lather and feels so good on the face.

For those who have used the Sheep one and other scents, is performance the same across the board? I would think the lanolin only affects post shave but am not sure.

This stuff is like shaving with grease. It is ultra slick.

Last edited:
No issues with the lanolin here. Uber rich, creamy, and slick lather. Personally, I LOVE the scent of the Schafmilch.

Me either, but I'm wondering if the other scents perform as well.

Coconut has been on my radar for a couple years now.

Last edited:
Personally, I LOVE the scent of the Schafmilch.

It is growing on me. I have this weird thing with shaving soaps - if the performance is great but the scent is meh my brain will slowly (shave by shave) associate the meh smell with the great results to the point where I actually enjoy the scent.

Four great examples: La Toja, Tabac, Palmolive, and Arko. La Toja is the best example, I flat out didn't like the scent of this stick. I used it once or twice and tossed it in the back of the shave den. Last year when I moved, I somehow ended up with just La Toja in my dopp kit for the move - probably because it was my only stick with a container that wasn't already packed up. At any rate, I was "forced" to use it for a week and now I quite like the scent!

It is growing on me. I have this weird thing with shaving soaps - if the performance is great but the scent is meh my brain will slowly (shave by shave) associate the meh smell with the great results to the point where I actually enjoy the scent.

Four great examples: La Toja, Tabac, Palmolive, and Arko. La Toja is the best example, I flat out didn't like the scent of this stick. I used it once or twice and tossed it in the back of the shave den. Last year when I moved, I somehow ended up with just La Toja in my dopp kit for the move - probably because it was my only stick with a container that wasn't already packed up. At any rate, I was "forced" to use it for a week and now I quite like the scent!

Tabac and La Toja... two scents I just can't stand!! I LOVE the La Toja splash though.

D.R. Harris Marlborough - Shave #78

Wednesday Evening

Prep:
Shower / Baxter of California Daily Face Wash
Razor: 1973 T2 Gillette Super Adjustable
Blade: Gillette Silver Blue
Brush: Proraso (Omega) Professional Boar
Soap: D.R. Harris Marlborough
Aftershave: Brut AS Lotion / QCS Fougere AS Balm
Pomade of the Day: JS Sloane Mediumweight Brilliantine
Cologne of the Day: Penhaligon's Sartorial

Ben

I was so surprised how easy MWF is to lather. I have hard water too. Lathers as easy for me as any other soap/Croap and I'm not exaggerating one bit. I was so surprised. Of course YMMV.

Top Bottom